Trim clips

-

Hotwheels sr.

Reaction score
When I bought my Demon the body work was already completed. When it comes to the clips for the windshield and rear window they were not o.k. the car. As far as I can tell it looks like they get screwed in around the two openings. If that is true then when they did the body work they filled all of the wholes where they go in. I need to know how many clips and where they are located around each opening. Thank you

I can't remember for sure where I ordered my clips for my dart (RT specialties) maybe, if you do a search, there is alot of info and suggestions as where to order from. I had some clip holes filled in also. I ordered the clips so I knew how many holes there were. If I remember, the holes were around 8 inches or so apart. If you look at the back of the original trim if you have it, there should be marks as to where the clips were, this may help you find the holes. Hopefully this helps. If I still had my parts car, I would get you a pic.

69bfan can get those for you too. I was just looking at them on the parts list he gave me for my Charger.

Before drilling any holes for your trim, determine which clips your going to use. There is two and possibly three different clips used from 68 to 72. You will need to position the clips so that the trim fits correctly. We are finding that many of the A-Bodies are using this style of clip which most vendors do not carry.

Dart_Windshield_Clip_1A.jpg

Yep, there's a recent thread featuring a Duster with the wrong ( too tall ) clips installed at original holes. His pics show gaps between his reveal molding and gasket. Some aftermarket vendors ( ebay for example ) will package, label and sell anything.
Since you do need to drill new holes you can use the shorter clips and set their height as needed. Locations isn't critical. Few inches away from curves, corners, and joins, then equally spaced between those. Study this example. The drawing doesn't show there's trim a join at top center but its there.

windshieldClips.JPG

Mr. G's fasteners in Texas has them . I think the windshield has 13 . I also think the rears are similar but different in shape . Cheap money . Tip: when you install them put butyl sealer on them to prevent future leaks . I used stainless screws .

Excellent advice on all areas from RedFish. Many Ebay vendors do not have a clue on the parts that they are selling. Secondly, as he posted, clip placement for keeping the trim tight to the body is most important on the height aspect. Most body styles used 20 to 22 clips per window. Two clips on each A-pillar, then leaving you eight for the top and bottom. Again as mentioned above, pay particular attention if the trim is multiple pieces as the bottom trim to the cowl. Do not want a clip where they are joined together.

Mr. G's fasteners in Texas has them . I think the windshield has 13 . I also think the rears are similar but different in shape . Cheap money . Tip: when you install them put butyl sealer on them to prevent future leaks . I used stainless screws .
OK we'll talk screws... the correct screws are specials. Most prepackaged clip kits, right or wrong size, do include these screws. They have a #8 shank diameter but smaller head that is standard to a #6 screw. If you're making new holes you could use #6 screws, stainless even, but...
If you have factory holes, the #8 screw shank diameter is req'd. If you use standard #8 screws having their standard head size, the trim wont fit into the clip with that screw head. That explains why special screws were req'd.

Thank you all for your responses. I don't understand just how they attach to the trim unless there is some other part that also goes on the trim as well.

The upper cross bar of the clip is a bump that catches the inner lip of the trim. So the trim is captured between the clip and the car body.

I know this is a little late but if you still need a photo let me know. I have all my trim off on a 70 duster and could easily show you where the clips go.

Hey, I'm sorry for the super slow reply. Had a busy few weeks. Here are a couple of pics of the front and back glass. I counted 23 clips on the front glass. In the picture there are only 22, one is missing on the lower passenger side. The back glass has 12, 6 on top and 3 on each side. Let me know if you need anymore.
duster1.jpg
duster2.jpg
duster2.jpg

duster3.jpg

-
Back