Trouble with wiper motor

-

twister360

Reaction score
Checking out the Duster prior to it's yearly safety inspection and I discovered the wiper motor does not work. It has worked in the past and since it is not driven in the rain and used very little, the motor is not exercised very much. I can turn on the switch and at the same time pull on the wiper arm, it will move a little bit on ots own.

What do I need to do to get it working properly again?

Thanks Gary

Year? 2 speed? 3 speed? variable speed?

There's a check out procedure in the shop manuals. These have a rather tricky wiring scheme. MAKE SURE the switch is grounded!!!

Knowing what you're working on might help but regardless.. You'll need to determine if the problem is mechanical or electrical. If the linkage/pivots are the actual fault the switch has a limiter that will interupt the power.
I would seperate the linkage from the motor and see if the motor runs. Yes its all behind the dash and not easy to access.

Year? 2 speed? 3 speed? variable speed?

There's a check out procedure in the shop manuals. These have a rather tricky wiring scheme. MAKE SURE the switch is grounded!!!

The wiper motor is in my 74 Duster and it is the 2 speed. It was working 12 months ago, but has not been used since then. I was checking it before its annual safety inspection and the wipers did not work. I turned them on and at the same time pulled on the arm and it did move under its own power for a few inches and stopped.

Could it be dirty brushes in the motor? Can they be serviced while still in the car?

Could be anything. The brushes in any of the wiper / heater motors were never designed to be serviced. You have a shop manual for your car? Otherwise I can post some info for you. These are a PITA to troubleshoot without a manual because of the way the switching works, the poor documentation, and the different motors/ switches.

Standard "quickie" checks apply.

Check the fuse and check power in/ out of the fuse

Check the switch is tight and grounded. Leave the key off and twist the switch vigorously through it's range several times.

Turn on the ignition, turn on the switch, and tap the motor lightly with a hammer/ mallet, etc.

Wiggle / remove/ inspect/ install the bulkhead connector

-
Back