truck bed liner in the trunk?

-

bigtommy

old school power
Reaction score
i am thinking about putting bed liner paint on my trunk floor. was wondering about a good bed liner. i want a good hard texture. i know of the Dupli-Color bed liner and Rust-Oleum. which do you think is more textured and better.

I don't know about those two you mentioned, but I have used the bed liner made by POR-15 and it is one tuff coating.

Ive never used bedliner but I have used SEM rocker panel coating

I agree with Fanofpetty. I plan on using a product called Rust Bullet that I have left over from replacing my floorboards. That stuff dries hard as a rock and it nuetralizes any rust that you might have.

I think bedliner would work, but seal the rust in, and not stop it from spreading.

i used rustoleum spray in bed liner/undercoating in my trunk and underneath. if you clean the surface real well and use it at the appropriate temps, it works real well and is tough stuff. mask areas where you dont want it, that stuff sticks very well and will make you dizzy if you dont have great ventilation lol

The duplicolor bedliner by itself sucks, it will peel and flake in no time.

However, I mixed it 50/50 with Tractor Supply Implement/Truck & Trailer paint and brushed it on the floor and frame of my old plow truck (after minimal prep work...wirebrushed the funky areas and called it good)

That was years ago, the truck plowed snow for several years after that, went off-roading, and was used as a Daily Driver. It then sat around for several years before I stripped the truck... The mixed bedliner/paint I applied is still on the frame & floor of that truck.

Herculiner is some good stuff, duplicolor sucks. With any type of coating (paint,bedliner,etc..) surface prep is the most important part.

any of you guys ever put cat litter in paint and paint with it? i heard it makes the texture rough.

I used POR15 about 22 years ago and it's still on there and no more rust.

I would suggest using the Black can of 3M undercoating. The Rustoleum never dried! The 3M has a fine texture and is like a hard plastic once dried. The Rustoleum is smooth. Here is a shot of the fuel tank I did with the 3M and the bracket for the fuel pump and filter was done with the rustoleum. Again, the Rustoleum still hasn't dried!

Attachments

• DSCN1925.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 563
Sounds like you want to make a rust pitted trunk floor look better. Ever think about just getting a factory trunk mat?

actually i'm not doing the trunk, i'm doing the inside floor pan. i don't have carpet in the car and wanted to paint it black and want a texture to the paint so make the inside a little more rough so my feet don't move round that much when i'm banging gears in my automatic haha. that's why i said about the bed liner because it's a rough texture but don't wanna pay that money for it because i have a **** ton of black paint and want to just buy something to put in the paint so give it a rough texture. i heard sand and cat litter would do that for me.

i used rustoleum spray in bed liner/undercoating in my trunk and underneath. if you clean the surface real well and use it at the appropriate temps, it works real well and is tough stuff. mask areas where you dont want it, that stuff sticks very well and will make you dizzy if you dont have great ventilation lol
Safe to assume that the lack of ventilation is why.......never mind....

I have bedliner on the floor pan in my daily driver dart and so far it's held up really good so far, it's been over a year and I think paint would have worn off by now. If you dont mind a little road noise bedliner is the way to go, especially if the windshield gasket or door seals leaks a little. It's got plenty of texture so traction isn't an issue.

the POR product has a heavy texture just like factory undercoating. I used it on the inside of my new quarters and the best part is, it dries hard and is paintable. I'v had more people ask me how I got that factory look inside my quarters.

If you want it to look more "correct" you can get certain brands of Urethane Spray In Bedliner that can be tinted to almost any color. Usually runs about $100/gallon plus the cost of about a pint of tinting/base coat.

-
Back