truck driver 110 year sentence reduced to 10

-
Can you double clutch downshift a big rig if your brakes are out? I mean your revs are already up going downhill trying to compression brake and your thinking "let me push in the clutch to lose any compression braking and try and find a lower gear..."?

No, not to get into 3rd or 4th, once momentum creeps up and you don't have brakes to slow down, it pretty much ain't happening. You start the grade in a lower gear, jake brake on and do not up shift, truck picks up speed, on the brakes hard enough to slow back down and off the brake, once they heat up you are done. I had a driver pass me going down a mountain pass in West Virginia one time, he had been on the brake so much and so hard the trailer brakes were on fire.....literally, one in PA too..

Just a few points on the driver: Young (20 I believe) inexperienced unseasoned driver..........Could not read, speak or understand English so I'm not sure if he even knew what a runaway ramp was for. He had to have a translator for the trial........Castellano Trucking had a DOT write up sheet a mile long, including two OOS violations very recently, I quite reading it at over 30 violations in the last few months.....The trucking company has dissolved since the accident, probably anticipating lawsuits. He was here on a green card and had a valid Texas issued CDL, not that that matters, but he should have been trained more thoroughly though.

Bottom line, the trucking industry is so desperate for drivers lots of people that have no business behind the wheel of an 18 are in fact driving all over the country. You put an inexperienced driver in front of 40 tons and expect them to be successful guiding that 40 tons down a 7 or 8 percent grade from 10,000 feet in elevation is a nail biter. Can some do it, sure, but some cannot.

I have had young drivers at warehouses come up to my truck and ask me if I could back theirs into the dock, no lie, more than once. I said nope, but I'll be glad to guide you as long as you watch me and listen.

There are a few companies out there that will team you with a seasoned driver for a few weeks before going at it alone, they probably have pretty good success with that.

Fact is he was not qualified for Colorado mountain driving, blew past the last truck ramp almost hitting a mini van, on down the hill into the city and killed 4 people.
I think 110 years was way too much but 10 is not enough. Should be 20-30.
I've drove that route a million times and have seen some wild ****.

I was a truck driver for 36 years accident free here in Colorado. I have driven that road alot, Was 110 years to much, yes, was the fact he could not read english a facor, yes. He should have never been driving a truck much less up there. IMO, him and the one that gave him a CDL and the Company the hired him should be in jail also.

I agree that it should go deeper than just the driver.
Bad gig all the way around. 4 dead, others scared for life and a probably good man in prison.

No, not to get into 3rd or 4th, once momentum creeps up and you don't have brakes to slow down, it pretty much ain't happening. You start the grade in a lower gear, jake brake on and do not up shift, truck picks up speed, on the brakes hard enough to slow back down and off the brake, once they heat up you are done. I had a driver pass me going down a mountain pass in West Virginia one time, he had been on the brake so much and so hard the trailer brakes were on fire.....literally, one in PA too..

Just a few points on the driver: Young (20 I believe) inexperienced unseasoned driver..........Could not read, speak or understand English so I'm not sure if he even knew what a runaway ramp was for. He had to have a translator for the trial........Castellano Trucking had a DOT write up sheet a mile long, including two OOS violations very recently, I quite reading it at over 30 violations in the last few months.....The trucking company has dissolved since the accident, probably anticipating lawsuits. He was here on a green card and had a valid Texas issued CDL, not that that matters, but he should have been trained more thoroughly though.

Bottom line, the trucking industry is so desperate for drivers lots of people that have no business behind the wheel of an 18 are in fact driving all over the country. You put an inexperienced driver in front of 40 tons and expect them to be successful guiding that 40 tons down a 7 or 8 percent grade from 10,000 feet in elevation is a nail biter. Can some do it, sure, but some cannot.

I have had young drivers at warehouses come up to my truck and ask me if I could back theirs into the dock, no lie, more than once. I said nope, but I'll be glad to guide you as long as you watch me and listen.

There are a few companies out there that will team you with a seasoned driver for a few weeks before going at it alone, they probably have pretty good success with that.
Thanks for this, it clears up a lot of things, mostly what I suspected about the lack of training and experience, language barrier etc.

I have had warehouse staff come up to me after I have backed into the dock and tell me that I am one of the few that do not require assistance to back in. That to me is just a joke, and it proves that far too many of the people behind the wheel of trucks have no business being there. More to the job than just driving down the highway for hours at a time, just look up truck driver fails on Youtube.

There was a similar incident in Vancouver B.C. a number of years ago, inexperienced immigrant crew driving a heavily loaded truck on a grade, lost the brakes and plowed into a traffic jam, killing several innocent people.

Steve, red x ?
Anyways you wanna enlighten me on what you're disagreeing with

just look up truck driver fails on Youtube.

I started driving a big truck in 1978, I've seen quite a few happen right in front of me, lol. I took a couple breaks in the time I drove, but not long as companies give ya grief if you haven't driven in a while, and some won't even hire you. I quit driving in 2018, I miss the driving part, the DOT regs and stupidity, not so much, but I managed to log over 2 million miles accident free. The DOT started putting rules in place that actually made driving less safe, IMO.

My father in law drove teams cross country and spirit grade alcohol over the grapevine here in LA county. He told me one story while he was waiting out a white out somewhere. The team member woke up and asked him wtf are we stopped for, he told him he can't see ****. Senior driver told junior driver dad to get back on it, just follow the red lights in front of you and if you can't see those, follow the tire tracks! Thas mentality of old wouldn't fly today. Thanks to all you for keeping America rolling safely!

A long time ago I was on my way to work, stoped at a light when a large dump truck went through a intersection getting on the highway, the light changed and I was behind him.....I knew he was empty but he was flying, every bump he hit I saw daylight under his rear tires.....He was tailgating a Honda Civic and if that car ever stopped short, empty or not he'd roll right over it
He got to going so fast on a crowed highway cutting in and out of the right most lane, I couldn't keep up to him in my old pickup
The part that bothered me was the truck belonged to a guy I worked for who owed around 6 rigs, I couldn't see the number on the side of the truck or who the driver was but I was like dam this guy is reckless.....`I didnt want to see anyone get fired or rat anyone else but this guy was dangerous and I knew I had to do something
If memory serves me, I talked to a driver whom I was tight with, he knew right away who was driving as that guy had a reputation
I dont know what happened but my friend took care of it

A long time ago I was on my way to work, stoped at a light when a large dump truck went through a intersection getting on the highway, the light changed and I was behind him.....I knew he was empty but he was flying, every bump he hit I saw daylight under his rear tires.....He was tailgating a Honda Civic and if that car ever stopped short, empty or not he'd roll right over it
He got to going so fast on a crowed highway cutting in and out of the right most lane, I couldn't keep up to him in my old pickup
The part that bothered me was the truck belonged to a guy I worked for who owed around 6 rigs, I couldn't see the number on the side of the truck or who the driver was but I was like dam this guy is reckless.....`I didnt want to see anyone get fired or rat anyone else but this guy was dangerous and I knew I had to do something
If memory serves me, I talked to a driver whom I was tight with, he knew right away who was driving as that guy had a reputation
I dont know what happened but my friend took care of it
I have no problem reporting piss poor commercial drivers when I see them, they don't belong on the road and if I can prevent someone from being hurt or killed I'm all for it. In November I saw a tractor trailer backing up down an off ramp onto a busy highway and called the company as soon as I could get off the highway myself. Unfortunately I did not get a unit number, but with the electronic logging devices that all trucks here are required now it should not have been difficult to track it given the date, time and location. I will also call a company when I see a taxi or delivery vehicle driving like an asshole, don't care if some douchebag loses their job.

Bu
I agree. People seem to think the drivers are responsible for the truck's upkeep. Only if it's a driver owned truck. This was not.
But driver is required to do a pretrip inspection before each workday and is required to report any defects before he drives. I have parked many pieces of equipment with bad brakes, lights and air systems.

Bu

But driver is required to do a pretrip inspection before each workday and is required to report any defects before he drives. I have parked many pieces of equipment with bad brakes, lights and air systems.
True, I'm aware of that. Even so the best pre-trip in the world won't catch everything. Sometimes things just fail. That said, the truck seemed not in a good state of repair. The driver had to know it. He bears some responsibility for sure. 110 years worth?

True, I'm aware of that. Even so the best pre-trip in the world won't catch everything. Sometimes things just fail. That said, the truck seemed not in a good state of repair. The driver had to know it. He bears some responsibility for sure. 110 years worth?
I have only been in the hooskow twice for my DOT transgressions in the last 50 years... Been lucky.

That guy doesnt deserve 110 years...and the company officials need to be investigated and will no doubt.

The state DOT had to go over that tractor and trailer with a fine toothed comb.....Ive driven out of the Rockies into Denver, every tractor trailer I've seen was going slow, lower gear and Jake brake on
Im not a trailer driver but have worked in that field for decades, the tractor and trailers ive been around carry really heavy loads and the brakes are always adjusted and checked
Going down a steep roadway too fast while driving with a load is neglect, ten years is a slap in the face to the families of the victims.
If my Jake's keeps me from braking I'll go under the truck speed down hill.Trucks will be flying over the limits but. I garentee I can stop and my brakes last longer than theirs My truck is in the shop for S cams and bushings for the 1st time.It has about 1,8600,900 miles on them

If my Jake's keeps me from braking I'll go under the truck speed down hill.Trucks will be flying over the limits but. I garentee I can stop and my brakes last longer than theirs My truck is in the shop for S cams and bushings for the 1st time.It has about 1,8600,900 miles on them
That's because you KNOW how to properly use your brakes.

1. the ferguson act protects a drivers job if he refuses to drive a unsafe truck!
2. a cdl requires a driver to know and understand the brake systems as well as a heavy duty truck tech dose!
3 a driver is required to inspect his truck before and after driving and to log it, and turn in a report, good or bad on truck to maintenance department per federal dot regs.
4.its a drivers responsibility to know his routes and its hazards, such as mountains and run away ramps!!!
5. not speaking or reading english is no excuse!
6. yes theres to many un skilled drivers pumped out of cdl mills run by megafleets and sub-sized by our tax dollars
7. takes alot more than a 2 week class and 3 months with driver trainer to learn what it takes to drive a big truck!!
8. yes theres a driver shortage and has been 20+ years
9. cheap labor ant skilled, skilled labor ant cheap!!
10. trucking is the most over regulated industry i know of but totally in the wrong way to make it safer, but dose real good at generating funds threw fines!!

im a 3rd generation driver from big trucking family, spent every summer and long weekend outta school riding with dad, g;pa or one my uncles, got cdl's in 91 when i turned 21 and thought i knew what a driver needed to but quickly realized i had a bunch to learn yet, and cant learn it all by watching, ya just gotta learn doing it! i came off the road when my oldest was born in 04, thank god!! its just skerry as hell out there with the level of drivers 90% of them are!! im really surprised there ant alot more catastrophic wrecks happening, shows god got them cdl's to right!!

I can't help but think if his last name was Smith, the sentence wouldn't have been reduced.
Yeah, I've been mullin that one over myself. It's probably true.

HIS BRAKES FAILED! If your brakes failed, and you caused a wreck, do you think you deserve to go to prison? If both engines fail on a Southwest 737 and people die in the crash, do the pilots deserve to go to jail?

his brakes f
HIS BRAKES FAILED! If your brakes failed, and you caused a wreck, do you think you deserve to go to prison? If both engines fail on a Southwest 737 and people die in the crash, do the pilots deserve to go to jail?
brakes failed for his driving over and beyond what the brakes could stand,...yeah he deserves what ever 4 counts of man slaughter yields!! but so dose the management of where he got trained and his company!! it all ant his fault but 99 times outta a 100 the driver is only one ever charged with anything!

We have a system in this country now that is so overwhelmed with greed and gloat that this incident will quickly become a passing memory and this will just be a conversation piece on the internet for a few days and then on to our next play toy. Except for the victims families and a lonely trucker staring at 4 walls getting 3 hots and a cot. Too many wrongs and it's not an easy or comfortable fix.....

I laugh at people who don't grasp my saying that when you are driving down the highway just look around and somewhere in your eyesight there is a 40 ton Missile just waiting to launch. They have not a clue..... Sad and RIP to the victims....

JW

His brakes failed because he over used them by not being in the proper gear when coming down the mountain. Then he chose not to use the run away truck ramp that would have avoided all of this.
HIS ACTIONS CAUSED THE WRECK. Not the truck .

Last edited:
-
Back