Truck questions

-

BoredandStroked

Reaction score
First of all I am going to do a tune up on the 97 Dodge 2500 I have. 5.9 liter( gas), 5 speed with 4 wheel drive. I need to know whats the best brands and such in everyones opinion of the following

Spark Plugs
Spark Plug Wires
Motor Oil (brand?)
Distributor Cap/Rotor
Antifreeze
Air filter or Cold Air Intake

Reasons why I am doing this; is due to the engine never wanting to run below 200 degrees, spark plug wires are loose, and I have no idea when the last tune up was.

Here is the next few questions; when I go to start the truck in the mornings or after it has sat for a while I hear a *clunk* if I push "to fast" on the clutch, is that normal? Also, after the engine has been running a bit, sitting still or driving around, I can smell what seems to be clutch, why is this?

The rearend howls unbelieveably loud so next week I am taking it to a friends garage to change the fluids and check everything over. Seems to be alot of problems with a truck I have only had the past month... :sad1:

How many miles on the truck?
Get a water hose and wash bugs and dust off of the radiator fin's.and I would flush system good too.
200 deg is about normal if your temp gauge is not lying too you.
If the clutch is going bad change the throw out bearing while you are in there.
That mite be the {cluck} you are hearing.
It sounds like it is time for a good service to me.
someone with more knowledge will chime in and help.
Good luck and enjoy your truck.

195 to 210 is probably about normal for the temp because of the fuel injection. Probably has a 195 degree thermostat and clutch fan kicks on around 210. As for the rear end, howling is not good. But if you do change the rear end grease, make sure you put hypoi back in it. You can buy this seperate and add it or at oreilly or autozone you can buy the hypoi grease. Late model dodge rear ends require this or it will get real jerky in turns...Hope this helps, Lee

Clint,

Factory replacement wires will be all you need if you're not running an aftermarket ignition. Stay away from the Autolite replacement wires as they tend to stick on the plug and break. Champion makes a "Truck Plug" that has worked just fine for me on all my Dodge trucks. As far as motor oil is concerned, standard Valvoline 10-40 or 10-30 should work just fine. Your truck has a roller cam from the factory, so you don't have to worry about Zinc based additives. If you wanted, you switch to a synthetic like Royal Purple, but they're really expensive and be sure you don't have any seal leaks or the syntetic oils will exagerate the problem.

As everyone else said, 200 degrees isn't a problem on a modern fuel injected engine. They are set up this way from the factory to increase mileage, decrease emissions and reduce cylinder wear. If you were to add an aftermarket performance computer, they usually recommend installing a 180 degree stat, but I would not reccomend it on your stock engine.

As far as the clunk is concerned, I would check your U-Joints first for play. When the tranny is cold the oil viscosity is high and could be transmitting some torque to the driveline even thought the trans is in nuetral. When you push in the clutch, you remove any source of torque from the tranny input shaft and the driveline relaxes. If you have play in u-joints, you'll hear a clunk. If you have no leaky seals in the tranny, I would definitely recommend changing the fluid and using a synthetic.

That rear end howl is bad. Hopefully it's not a pinion bearing. You can change the fluid but I'm doubting that will cure the problem.

Hope this helps.

146,000 miles are on it memike, but she still runs like a champ, just there is some things I feel need some attention. You are correct on the service, I am going to go over everything the next 5 weeks with a fine tooth comb. Brakes and pads are already on order.

I believe it is the u-joints ramcharger, they are very loose. I have noticed that I can leave the truck sit for 10 minutes then go to restart it and there is no clunk, but if i leave it sit overnite, there is, so I am thinking you are correct. I am going to check it over and put on a different exhaust do to the redneck design thats on it even though it sounds nice. The tip was cut off 1 foot from the cab (legal limit here) and it turns down and points straight to the rearend, which I do not like. So that is on order as well. I will post my findings and what I do as time goes on, but everything needs to be done before I go to tech school!

Thanks guys!

-
Back