Truck tool boxes

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of building a tool box for the back of a truck, (70 dodge D250) and I'm looking for ideas. I will need the doors to open from inside the truck bed because I tried a side opening tool box and I'm way too short to get anything from the side of the truck.

I'm trying to outfit a general service truck for yard use and just being handy but not like a shop on wheels or anything too involved.
Any ideas?

Yeah, don't

Just find a service body and match it to the truck

The open from the side, but low enough for you to get to without your stilettos on

(A box you need to jump in the bed for to access would be more frustrating then useful)

You might get an idea from this:

We have a truck outfitted with a sliding box like that at work, and it's just okay. It virtually eliminates all of your truck bed capacity, but if you're okay with that, it's great. Although it's a pain in the *** to access anything farther than an arm's reach.

If you can weld stainless, you probably could come up with something Original and Custom Buiky for YOU! DIY has the most simple, hopefully cost effective approach as of yet...

Screenshot_20220312-220251_Gallery.jpg

Not exatly what your looking for but maby an inspiration this is what i did on my truck,this things are real expencive and you can do allot whid some good fab skills

20220218_092856.jpg

I have been thinking of adding one of these positioned for side access.
B7D7C8DD-9CD6-40A7-9CCB-AD5C06080398.png

Stilettos get stuck in the mud

Only idea I have is locks. And I don't. Have an idea. Except "if you really want and need" security, think long and hard about how to "beef" the lock system. MOST commercial boxes have junk for locks, including the commercial service boxes. "A few seconds" with a crowbar will get into most of them. Frankly the best advice "might be" a padlock, or two on larger doors, with a welded cover box both for weather and added security........to reach up/ in and unlock. You can buy them "keyed alike". Watch some of the "lock picking lawyer" youtube videos. Some (many?) locks are junk
https://www.youtube.com/c/lockpickinglawyer/videos

In this area, thieves aren't punished very hard. So many make it their career and they are quite good at it. The point is, if one of these pros target you, they are going to get what they want. In my situation, I'd just get a secure tonneau cover to keep the punks away, and put cheap toolboxes filled with HF tools in the bed. Plus you can empty the bed easily and haul.

Meh, I don't even care for stilettos. Even with work boots, I'm still vertically challenged.

I really don't mind getting in to the back of the truck because I have a handy step idea that I'm planning on building that uses the receiver hitch to support the step.

I would like it to lock but I'm not that worried about the security aspect, when not in use the truck is locked in a warehouse and if someone wanted the stuff that bad, they'd have to really work for it and risk their asses, big time.

Last edited:
I would consider building a swing out setup,drop tailgate,pul a pin and swivel box so its accessible while standing behind truck. I used to bring my top chest home from work on weekends,and it was strapped into the box of my truck. Rain was the issue for me.
There are weatherproof tool boxes, but can be pricey.

Leer covers are the least intrusive that I have found. If you are going the”handyman” route you will find a small trailer will be much more”usable” than the bed you have left after you put a regular toolbox in it. As for your”height challenged” situation you will be better served with regular boots than the “Elton John” type. Anyway good luck however you go

C3BAB90B-9973-4A69-A407-6B73D10C15C3.jpeg
This is what I have. My boss’s son hates I didn’t paint them and it drives him nuts. So I probably never will! At least until he becomes the boss. It’s a short bed. Looks like a long bed in the photo.

Meh, I don't even care for stilettos. Even with work boots, I'm still vertically challenged.

I really don't mind getting in to the back of the truck because I have a handy step idea that I'm planning on building that uses the receiver hitch to support the step.

I would like it to lock but I'm not that worried about the security aspect, when not in use the truck is locked in a warehouse and if someone wanted the stuff that bad, they'd have to really work for it and risk their asses, big time.
Cut a hole right through the side of the bed and build a box right in the bottom of the front of the bed. Ford did it with the Super Camper Special trucks for the spare tire storage and they didn't even take up any bed space. They put it under the bed, right through the side. You can see it in this picture.
SUPER CAMPER SPECIAL.jpg

-
Back