truck wheel rant

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
finally worked out a deal on a new plow truck
took it over from a buddy of mine and im generally pleased with it BUT the wheels are just horrible
20 inch black rims on a truck for crying out loud
it looks like a wallmart special

so i go online, find a good deal on a nice set of classy looking wheels in 15X8
perfect for those 33X10.5s that are so good for plowing

only to find out i need at least 17s to clear the brakes

and do you think anyone makes nice 17s?

they all look like that stinking wally world special, black, ugly spokes

all i want is something that looks like it belongs on a truck and doesnt cost 2 grand...is that too much too as?

s-l300.jpg

If I thought the tires would be up to the job, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but the ones that are on there now (285/55-20) are garbage in the snow
I dont know if they are too wide, unprofitable profile or just not enough thread, but they just dont bite

Now, let's see if I can find those rims you listed in 8x170

Find a set of used original wheels that belong on it.
Dollars to donuts that would look 100 times better then what I got now
So far, nothing on craigslist
I did send an email out to a local junkyard, so hopefully that comes to something

I can never decide between long John's and raspberry jelly filled ones

If I thought the tires would be up to the job, we wouldn't be having this discussion, but the ones that are on there now (285/55-20) are garbage in the snow
I dont know if they are too wide, unprofitable profile or just not enough thread, but they just dont bite

Now, let's see if I can find those rims you listed in 8x170
There is no reason a 285/50/20 is bad in the snow based on size...unless they just aren’t made for snow.

Jeeps built for severe off-road use that size tire.

Just buy the BFG 275/60/20 tires and call it a day.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...76SR0KO2&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

I bought my plain Jane 17" winter rims for my 2017 ram from the dealership. $57 each.

its not a ram, though
but i like that price, i might call them monday

so far ive come across one set of "factory take offs" steel, silver painted 18X8s for $350
then add some 265-70-18s for about $600 and mounting and balancing, man, thats a grand
i doubt i will get that back for those stinking dubs

i wonder what weight index tire i would need for a 7000 pound rig?

Oops thought it was Ram. My new winter setup cost me $1500 for rims rubber and sensors. Buddy of mine has an 06 came factory with 20". That starts getting really pricey.
its not a ram, though
but i like that price, i might call them monday

so far ive come across one set of "factory take offs" steel, silver painted 18X8s for $350
then add some 265-70-18s for about $600 and mounting and balancing, man, thats a grand
i doubt i will get that back for those stinking dubs

i wonder what weight index tire i would need for a 7000 pound rig?

I would have liked to get a ram, but my buddy let me have this truck for a good price, so I wasn't going to turn it down
It's an 05 F350 diesel with a western V plow on it (pretty sure the plow is brand new)

I would have liked to get a ram, but my buddy let me have this truck for a good price, so I wasn't going to turn it down
It's an 05 F350 diesel with a western V plow on it (pretty sure the plow is brand new)
Not sure what part of Michigan you are from but my son works at Belle Tire in Roseville and might be able to help you out.

Those 20’s are probably worth more than you think...

Not sure what part of Michigan you are from but my son works at Belle Tire in Roseville and might be able to help you out.

im about as far west of roseville as you can get without driving into the lake
looks like it's just shy of 3 hours, one way

Those 20’s are probably worth more than you think...

could be, ill be the first to admit i have no idea what they go for
ill check later tonite what brand they are, that should give me a ball park on what they cost new...no idea what depreciation is on those though

Does your buddy still have the original wheels?

Check with local tire store for wheels? I forget, I think they told me 25? 30? for the GMC 1/2 t. I ended up finding a used set of chrome OEM steel for i think 80 off C/L. They even had caps and nuts.

You have to be careful of the center hole on 8 hole wheels. I don't remember if it was earlier to later or other way around, but I got some alloy wheels for the now gone 01 gas truck, (Dodge 2500) and had to die grind the center holes a few thou. I think these wheels came with metric nuts so they must have been ?? later wheels "Good news" is they should fit the 01 Cummings that replaced it

Last edited:
I'm perplexed at why the 285's won't work for plowing. That's what I run on my truck and I have no problems pushing snow or navigating around in it. Maybe it's a Ferd thing, I dunno. :poke:

Chains. They make them for every size. I just got a set for $60. Brand new with ice cleats. Now, I do plow my gravel road vs a paved driveway.

:thumbsup:

I'm perplexed at why the 285's won't work for plowing. That's what I run on my truck and I have no problems pushing snow or navigating around in it. Maybe it's a Ferd thing, I dunno. :poke:
Couldn't tell you
Could be the fact this thing weights 7000 pounds
Could be tires are getting old
Could be they aren't patterned to run well on snow

All I know is, there is about a 12 degree slope leading up to where I park it and I've had to engage 4x4 to get up there

This is the only vehicle I've ever owned that wouldn't go up there from a stand still

All I know is, there is about a 12 degree slope leading up to where I park it and I've had to engage 4x4 to get up there

Well, it's very possible I would have to as well.

Keep in mind you have a 1 ton truck and all the weight is up front (and the plow just adds to that), leaving very little in the back, so there isn't enough weight to force the tires to get traction.

My 95 3/4 ton with a V10 is absolutely worthless in the snow in 2 wheel drive, even with new tires on it. If there is snow on the road, it's in 4 wheel drive.

You may just be in a learning curve here, lol. Put 2500 pounds in the back, and your problems will more than likely disappear. When I had a pallet of salt in my bed I too could run in 2 wheel drive until I got to using the salt up.

You might be on to something

I just looked it up, and the bronco was only 4400 pounds (and the plow on that truck was smaller)
It also had a much smaller wheelbase, so that leaves more of the weight on the rear axle

Maybe I am just floating it
I guess I'll see how she does in fresh snow

Dollars to donuts that would look 100 times better then what I got now
So far, nothing on craigslist
I did send an email out to a local junkyard, so hopefully that comes to something
Have you tried ads on facebook? I see a lot of tires and wheels listed there. In fact I bought a nice set of 20" wheels and tires for winter use on my Ram R/T, (it has wide 22's that are completely useless in the snow) for a decent price from a guy about 25 miles from me

-
Back