Truckers...Take care of yourselves

-
I think the experienced drivers are leaving in droves. Regulations are killing them. A pro driver these days has one job, out race their electronic logs. I went from cruising along at a rate of 60 or so, to a minimum of seventy the day I got electronic logs. I will put up with them until the weather changes, (if I can) and after over 20 years, and not a scratch to my equipment in over 2,000,000 miles, I will be done. I'm sure my replacement will land up in another similar vid.

If "we" as a nation don't learn to slow down and stop tailgating in fog, smoke, ice, and snow, rain, whatever, these kinds of pileups are only going to get worse. There is no specific "blame," other than every single individual driver.

If "we" as a nation don't learn to slow down and stop tailgating in fog, smoke, ice, and snow, rain, whatever, these kinds of pileups are only going to get worse. There is no specific "blame," other than every single individual driver.

Yea, that's going to happen. :)

You guys that don't drive for a living should see what's coming out of the driving schools with a rig license.
One of the guys that passed his testing was still pushing the clutch instead of the brakes 5 days into actual driving.
My Brother just went through driving school recently, and he told me 1/4 of the 40 people got kicked out for not being able to pass a drug screen.
One short heavy woman wanted to know why they didn't make shorter trucks that she could climb up into (she couldn't get in the truck and was dismissed)
Another student was caught in a local strip club drunk and stoned at 2 in the morning when he had drive training at 7am.

He said it's pretty much the same caliber of people you get in the military when there was a choice of going to jail or joining the army, and that out of his class of 40 people there ended being two or three reasonable sensible drivers.

I think the experienced drivers are leaving in droves. Regulations are killing them. A pro driver these days has one job, out race their electronic logs. I went from cruising along at a rate of 60 or so, to a minimum of seventy the day I got electronic logs. I will put up with them until the weather changes, (if I can) and after over 20 years, and not a scratch to my equipment in over 2,000,000 miles, I will be done. I'm sure my replacement will land up in another similar vid.

Yup, I already told my company when I have to go electronic, I'm done!

They spew the crap about electronic logs create a safer driver, better time management, blah blah blah.

It does just the opposite. You have to hurry more, drive faster etc just to get the job done.

AND with today's steering wheel holders, trucking has taken a crap. I just passed a guy the other day, driving barefoot with his feet propped up on the dashboard driving down the road. :banghead:

The people in cars are driving like they are in a truck. The people in trucks are driving like they are in cars. I hope I am wrong, but I would be looking for a huge surge in vids like this in the next two or three years. Used to be twenty vehicle pile ups were the norm. They're reaching the two hundred number now.

As a driver I work local and the new is more work in the amount it took before .constantly pushing us on radios . It gets worse managers don't even have commercial licenses .never even been in a truck telling me "google maps said you should have been there by now "

I hate trucking.Been looking to get out but jobs pay the same as 28 years ago when I started trucking

wow, I thought my company was bad--- I'm a rookie-- compared to most you guys-- but with inclimate weather my manager states be safe & nothing is said upon a safe arrival. In less than a year I've seen some nasty stuff I cannot imagine what you long haulers witness.

Just Friday had severe thunderstorm-- I had to slow the 40 mph & use the right hand edge of the road & the white line for a guide-- still had certain rigs flying by, I was going to pull off at the next rest area --but it cleared up by then.

those pile ups are horrible, my friend tells me in Wyoming there are stretches of road where the wind will lay rigs over on top of each other-- even has warnings posted!!

Take care ,Lawrence

I've been driving a truck for the better part of 30 years.It has been going downhill for the last 10 or so years,and yes there are some real doozys for drivers out there.I'll be done in 2 yrs................................................jeff

I do not drive a truck but I can say the tailgating is horrible. The worst part about it is that when you slow down to allow some space between you and the guy in front of you another car will just squeez in there. I have never been in a accident on the roads thankfully but one think I always try to practice is watching the tail lights of the cars in front of the one I am fallowing.

When I started driving the only thing I could think all day was how I would never be able to drive as well as the pros out there. I haven't even come close to thinking that for over ten years. Now I'm glad I don't drive like them. Funny thing...you randomly ask a bunch of people if they think they are good drivers and close to 80% will tell you they are. Get a grip folks, I've been doing this for a while and I don't think I'm all that great.

I guess Captain Peter Wrongway Peachfuzz didn't pay attention to the yellow line. And it looks like the other two drivers should have seen this way before they did.

-
Back