TRUE BOLT ON installation my a...

-
ok guys this may sound stupid, but why do the front bar ends mount to the control arms and the rear bar ends mount to the frame? kinda opposite of the front.
vkarapanos, are those parts that attach to lca's what came with the kit? they do look kind of cheesy. i see why you welded them

ok guys this may sound stupid, but why do the front bar ends mount to the control arms and the rear bar ends mount to the frame? kinda opposite of the front.
vkarapanos, are those parts that attach to lca's what came with the kit? they do look kind of cheesy. i see why you welded them

Because the axle mount Hellwig/Addco style is more universal, easier to install, and cheaper to make.

Universal
The addco ones will fit A,62-70 B, and E bodies. The frame mount design needs to be more body specific. The end link distance needs to in close relationship to the rear end width.

Easier to Install
The axle mount style requires you drill four holes in the frame to match up with the frame width. The bar clamps to the rear end with U-bolts. A opposed to the frame mount requires you to unbolt the whole rear end and install different shock mounting plates. Also, it is tougher (but mostly possible) to get in with dual exhaust and rear end in the way. Some prior installed exhausts may be routed in the way of a frame mount style.

Cheaper to make
For axle attachment, the axle mount style has a standard U-bolts and flat plates that can be used for any similar diameter axle tube rear. The frame mount has shock plates are model and make specific, so that drives up manufacturing costs.

The Addco/Hellwig axle mount style still gets the job done in the rear. But the unspung weight is increased 10 lbs or so.

www.firmfeel.com sells frame mount styles. They'er real nice.

I have addco/hellwig styles because I've picked them up at the swap meets over the years for $20-$40; about what I pay for used 73-76 1 1/8" front sway bars. :thumbrig:
I did get a nice used set of QA1 adjustable front shocks for $80/pr :rock:

Yes those parts came with the bar and I think autoxcuda covered the rest. But I have to say that despite the installation drawbacks the car handles magnificently!!

I understand now that I should have bought from firmfeel, but you have to understand how hard for me is to make a decision on what to buy since this particular market is so far away from me but next time I will discuss it exhaustively with you guys!!! and I still owe you some pics of the rear installation... hopefully next week..

I understand now that I should have bought from firmfeel, but you have to understand how hard for me is to make a decision on what to buy since this particular market is so far away from me but next time I will discuss it exhaustively with you guys!!! and I still owe you some pics of the rear installation... hopefully next week..

id like to see some pics of your car too!

Because the axle mount Hellwig/Addco style is more universal, easier to install, and cheaper to make.

Universal
The addco ones will fit A,62-70 B, and E bodies. The frame mount design needs to be more body specific. The end link distance needs to in close relationship to the rear end width.

Easier to Install
The axle mount style requires you drill four holes in the frame to match up with the frame width. The bar clamps to the rear end with U-bolts. A opposed to the frame mount requires you to unbolt the whole rear end and install different shock mounting plates. Also, it is tougher (but mostly possible) to get in with dual exhaust and rear end in the way. Some prior installed exhausts may be routed in the way of a frame mount style.

Cheaper to make
For axle attachment, the axle mount style has a standard U-bolts and flat plates that can be used for any similar diameter axle tube rear. The frame mount has shock plates are model and make specific, so that drives up manufacturing costs.

The Addco/Hellwig axle mount style still gets the job done in the rear. But the unspung weight is increased 10 lbs or so.

www.firmfeel.com sells frame mount styles. They'er real nice.

I have addco/hellwig styles because I've picked them up at the swap meets over the years for $20-$40; about what I pay for used 73-76 1 1/8" front sway bars. :thumbrig:
I did get a nice used set of QA1 adjustable front shocks for $80/pr :rock:

ok, that makes sense. i can see that the firmfeel rear bar wont work since i have moved the leafsprings in. i can also see where there would be more clearance for exhaust with axle mounted bars

I know I promised :sad8: some pictures of the rear sway bar installation but a number of things have gone wrong for me this past week plus the weather has gone really bad and I have a bad case of flu :pale:, so I am not putting any new time limits but as soon as I can I will take those pics and upload them.

Here's how I did a frame-hung rear bar with an Addco in my Duster:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_26.jpg

I ended up moving the frame mounts a coulpe inches higher and clearancing the floor a little before it was finally finiished, but if you have the fab skills, no biggie.

Like VK says - handles more like Bimmer now...

Interesting. Pretty cool.

Do you have full exhaust installed in the car now? Or does it just dump down after the mufflers?

Did you install or check it with jackstands on the axle to simulate ride height?

No, I'm running turndowns. No, not sure what you're getting at with the ride height question. It rides pretty good. :toothy8:

No, I'm running turndowns. No, not sure what you're getting at with the ride height question. It rides pretty good. :toothy8:

If you are allready driving it, that answered that question. Way to think out of the box. I've never seen an Addco unit flipped to make it a frame mount type. :thumbup:

Just an FYI to others that are installing a rear sway bar... You should mock things up with the cars weight suspended on the the rear axle, not the frame It's just when you have the car on the frame the axle droops down and the sway bar geometry changes.

Here's how I did a frame-hung rear bar with an Addco in my Duster:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_26.jpg

I ended up moving the frame mounts a coulpe inches higher and clearancing the floor a little before it was finally finiished, but if you have the fab skills, no biggie.

Like VK says - handles more like Bimmer now...

That is way cool. I have one of those Addco bars installed on my 68 cuda, per the instructions though. This has got me thinking about re-doing it your way, I hate the way that it mounts to the axle tubes with those hokey brackets and U-bolts. Just never seemed that strong to me unless the perches that come with the bar are welded to the tubes.

It's a much better way to do it, but be advised there is some serious fabrication needed to get it installed like this. I had to clearance an area in the rear of the the floor hump. Also you need endlinks on the axle that will allow travel required when the suspension moves up and down. Here's pic of the axle showing a better view of the end link arrangement. It is basically a sliding hard link with minimal rubber isolators attaching the bar.

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbum/Cars/Pics/duster_21.jpg

I finally got the car lifted and I took some pics of the installations! The last one is for 340mopar.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

VK, where is the support/stiffener that goes from the K member to the radiator support???

Can't recall if it was stated, but these are the OLD design....the new ones that are out are MUCH BETTER design thanks to David Wheeler @ Hellwig who redesigned them.

-
Back