trunk access

-

R3dplanet

Reaction score
I lost my keys. Where? Right there in the trunk, that's where. You know, the one key I don't have a spare for.

My car is a '65 Barracuda. What's the best way back into the trunk? The firewall latches are on the inside. I called a mobile locksmith and he couldn't find a proper key to pick it with, even though I have a blank trunk key from Mancini Racing so I could make a copy.

What's the conventional wisdom here?

ok i lost the keys to my 64 plymouth at work one day so i went and had to punch out the trunk lock and but a new one

The back seat folds down. There's no reason to pull it out. I was afraid that I was going to have to drill out out the lock, but I worry about messing something up.

Punch out?

you should be able to unlock the trunk from inside the car with a straight screwdriver, i used a couple of Long socket extensions with a
1/4 drive hex socket {6 point} and duct taped a screwdriver thin tip
to the socket.

!BtLdIv!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-D!Evo1jM2gNBL62Edof1!~~_3.JPG

I'd just call a local locksmith, he'll have it open in a minute..nothing will be broken but your wallet..LOL It cost me 50 bucks last time my wife did it.

The back seat folds down. There's no reason to pull it out. I was afraid that I was going to have to drill out out the lock, but I worry about messing something up.

Punch out?
well ive never been in a 64 to 66 cuda im sorry punch out i was trying to say was drill it i cant spell that good bud

you should be able to unlock the trunk from inside the car with a straight screwdriver, i used a couple of Long socket extensions with a
to the socket.

!BtLdIv!BGk~$(KGrHqIH-D!Evo1jM2gNBL62Edof1!~~_3.JPG

Save your money! This will work and not break anything! I have taped a screwdriver to the end of a broom handle to accomplish this. It can be done!

to the socket.

%21BtLdIv%21BGk%7E$%28KGrHqIH-D%21Evo1jM2gNBL62Edof1%21%7E%7E_3.JPG

This method works on a Barracuda that he has only if he is willing to cut a hole in the divider board that seperates the trunk from the interior.

The locksmith wasn't able to pick it. He came over a couple of times with different sets of keys and tools. None of the Chrysler blanks wanted to fit.

The divider board ... perhaps is better to cut and replace than risking a bodywork gaffe by drilling the lock. I was hoping I could just unscrew the hinges of the divider or something non-destructive. Huh.

The problem is the screws are acessed from the trunk so cutting the divider and getting plywood to make a new one sounds like your only option now.

Probably the easiest way is going to be drilling it out and buying a new lock mechanism. The only other option, that I don't believe is even possible, is finding out where the latches are for the divider door and attempting to push a cabinet screwdriver at the top of the divider door hoping to push the latches down far enough to pop them so you can gain access to the trunk area. If it works, it will be just like picking a door lock with a credit card; it works, I've done it at work before. If this works then you can use the ideas that other people have suggested of using a screw driver to unlatch the trunk from the inside.

I'd give you some measurements for the locations of the divider door latches, but I'm in Utah and my car is in Ohio. Good luck.

Probably the easiest way is going to be drilling it out and buying a new lock mechanism. The only other option, that I don't believe is even possible, is finding out where the latches are for the divider door and attempting to push a cabinet screwdriver at the top of the divider door hoping to push the latches down far enough to pop them so you can gain access to the trunk area. If it works, it will be just like picking a door lock with a credit card; it works, I've done it at work before. If this works then you can use the ideas that other people have suggested of using a screw driver to unlatch the trunk from the inside.

I'd give you some measurements for the locations of the divider door latches, but I'm in Utah and my car is in Ohio. Good luck.

If that works,he can actually just grab the keys that are locked in the trunk and open the trunk normally, right???

FF

I'd go to Lockpicking101.com and find someone nearby who wants a challenge.

why not unscrew the inner trim/package area panel on one side or the other and reach around the divider board to pop the latch on the divider I know there are holes large enough to do this on a 69 but don't know about the 1st gen cars

Would removing a tail light gain you access to the trunk so that you could fish the keys out?

you need access to the trunk to remove the taillights.

like other said....worst case try removing the carpeting from the rear divider, drill a hole big enough to do the screw driver trick. that way the carpeting can lay back in place without to much destruction.

aloha and good luck!

why not unscrew the inner trim/package area panel on one side or the other and reach around the divider board to pop the latch on the divider I know there are holes large enough to do this on a 69 but don't know about the 1st gen cars

That is an idea that is definately worth a try.

Everyone -

I gave up and drilled out the lock. I needed my keys badly enough, and it was raining hard enough, that I just gave up and drilled it out. Took 30 seconds. Now I'm shopping for a new rear and key combo. Good thing Wildcat is within a day's round-trip journey.

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses!

Everyone -

I gave up and drilled out the lock. I needed my keys badly enough, and it was raining hard enough, that I just gave up and drilled it out. Took 30 seconds. Now I'm shopping for a new rear and key combo. Good thing Wildcat is within a day's round-trip journey.

Thanks to everyone for your quick responses!

Go to a j/y and get a power unit.....many of the late models will hook right up....have one on my 64 valiant, but forget what it came out of...even the button looks factory installed under the dash....at least that will save you for that next time :-D

Rickster

-
Back