Trunk and Engine Bay Paint

-

weldedrail

Reaction score
I am ready to shoot my trunk and door frames, and soon the engine bay too (just have to pull the motor). Is it better to shoot these areas in single stage? I am planning on base/clear for the exterior but was looking to save a bit of $$$ by using single stage in these areas.

Also wondering if I can do single stage with the underside of the hood and trunk lid.

Also I have the trunk stripped to bare metal, (lots of work!), and planning on doing the same for the engine bay. Can I shoot DTM epoxy primer mixed as a sealer so it lays down smoother and wont require sanding, shooting with the color within the recoat window? I wouldn't think you would want to block sand the trunk or engine bay so thats why I was thinking about going directly to sealer.

Also wondering about the match of the paint, as long as I use the same brand and paint shop the color match between the single stage and the base/clear should not be any different right? Or would I be better off just sticking with one or the other? BTW the color is Y-1 Bananna.

I would spray it in base/clear its easier to work with and you wont have to worry about the colors not matching

You can use the epoxy the way you described thats fine, But I would use Bascecoat Clearcoat on everything and order all your color at once that way there wont be a chance of the color not matching.

I agree, get at least a gallon of color. The base coat will be fins sitting on the shelf for some time if you dont use it.

I usually will get at least 6 qts on a overall, Just in case. And I have it mixed 3qts in a gal can...You ever try to pour out of a full gallon can...It goes everyplace you dont want it to...lol

Yup, makes a mess I believe when I did my Dart we mixed 3 liters. We sprayed 4 coats of color on the out side and on the trunk and engine bay because we ran short of paint and used all all of one of our toners.

We sprayed jambs and exterior in one shot, No tape lined any were.

Attachments

• 333.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 233
  • 342.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 227
Thanks for the help guys, I guess I will just do it all in base/clear. I was just under the impression that single stage was used on the trunk/engine bay/doorjams becouse it looks better longer with less care, (waxing etc).

Either way I will be shooting these areas first as right now it is in my garage but when we get the booth it will only be for 1 day and I don't want to be waiting for the jams and trunk to dry, also I plan on painting the engine bay and putting the motor back in as it is much easier to move the car with a motor. Now if I had a big enough garage it wouldn't be an issue, I would do it all at once.

Just today engine bay done, base/clear. B7 color. Very happy with results. Before and after pics

Attachments

• 990.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 200
  • 751[1].jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 183
I did mine in single-stage, good 'ole enamel. While the clear coat looks good I think it's too shiny and doesn't look original.

Attachments

• newcudafront.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 166
We just did base/clear on a 69 Charger. A quart did 4 coats on under trunk, hood, jambs, and engine compartment. Sherwin Williams.

-
Back