Trunk Battery Ground to Engine Connection?

-

SSing

Reaction score
I really don´t know, but did the SS Hemi A-Bodies (as delivered) really have a connection from the trunk mounted battery, to the engine?
Or was this one of many things Chrysler left for the racer to fix.
Picture is of the Mule Car, and as such not representative for how the SS cars were delivered.
The one cable running through the firewall next to MC offset block, I haven seen on other cars...

To me this connection is essential, but on the other hand I don´t keep up with all the latest in racing know hows.
Or maybe this wasn´t necessary with the Transistor Ignition :)
Times in the high nines the very first year was possible anyhow, with or without battery ground to engine connection… now, witch was it?
Any insight info all ways interesting.
mule bat cable.jpg

I’m not sure how they did what back in the day but when I moved my battery to the trunk, I routed the negitive cable to the body in the trunk.

As stock. It is a triangle. Battery to body to engine, back to battery. I never did a cable from engine to battery. I didn’t have a problem with it.

I’m not sure how they did what back in the day but when I moved my battery to the trunk, I routed the negitive cable to the body in the trunk.

As stock. It is a triangle. Battery to body to engine, back to battery. I never did a cable from engine to battery. I didn’t have a problem with it.

Yes, you are right. All cars come with an engine to dash panel connection, that will complete the triangle you are talking about.
Thank you

If you have a lot of electronics, especially EFI, you need to do some research and avoid creating what is known as a "ground loop." Essentially, this is a situation where current flowing in that circuit can cause a voltage drop which can adversely affect other circuits.

Back in the day, I simply grounded the battery to the trunk floor with the ground cable "split" into 2 eyes for more contact.

Then a large gauge cable from the engine block to the front frame horn this worked well back then, this was a 10+:1 compression 440

I guess most nowadays advocate running a SEPARATE ground cable all the way from the batt NEG to the engine block, then using that as a central ground point.

If you have a lot of electronics, especially EFI, you need to do some research and avoid creating what is known as a "ground loop." Essentially, this is a situation where current flowing in that circuit can cause a voltage drop which can adversely affect other circuits.

Back in the day, I simply grounded the battery to the trunk floor with the ground cable "split" into 2 eyes for more contact.

Then a large gauge cable from the engine block to the front frame horn this worked well back then, this was a 10+:1 compression 440

I guess most nowadays advocate running a SEPARATE ground cable all the way from the batt NEG to the engine block, then using that as a central ground point.

Thank you. I will go with an extra cable up front...

-
Back