Trunk gap problem after new 1/4's

-

rcdals

Reaction score
had body panels replaced had good gap be for they replaced quarter panels now no gap at end of trunk how and at doors both sides 1/8 or better in middle of doors quarter sticks out all amd metal

I've never seen an AMD panel that didn't need some massaging (and redesigning). There are all kinds of examples of this.

AMD is only slightly better than most of the stuff out there. Much of it is stamped from the same dies. Yeah, you have to make them fit.

Sounds like the body shop/resto shop just slapped them on. I've been involved in the swap of quarters, roof, dutchman on a '73 (or '74) Challenger. We had to modify some parts to make them fit. Was also involved in putting lower quarter patch panels on my Barracuda along with trunk extensions. These pieces don't just "drop into place". Welding shouldn't be completed until gaps are right.

My friend has a 68 Charger, and 3 E body Cuda Verts, all being rehabbed at his shop. You have to mock it up, several times, AND start in the right place

Shop should have adjusted/modified/reshaped the panels to get correct gap/alignment prior to welding them in place.

Chris has 1 Cuda vert there, that has had Everything replaced, except 1 frame rail..... I'm no expert, but I pay attention! Lol. It's definitely Not a slap and bolt n go procedure

I have a log 30" long and it won't fit in the woodstove, how do I fix it.
Pictures would be nice.

Easy, grind or file away where there is no gap and mig the edges where there is too much gap.
Make sure you massage the correct edge.

back in the day no one would go into the door or trunk openings you cut and flange back from them if possible because it is time consuming making it work otherwise. That said though it isnt impossible its sounds like the welder didnt spend the time getting it right.

was all done at AMD installation center
Was it actually done AT AMD in Georgia?

AMD actually doing the job versus one of their "installation centers" is two different things. I think I'd also be on the phone with AMD letting them know what a crappy job one of their approved installation centers did. I'm sure they'll be very interested in that. That's a direct reflection on them. I'd be sending them all kind of pictures as well. They're good folks to deal with and you want them in your corner.

Was it actually done AT AMD in Georgia?

AMD actually doing the job versus one of their "installation centers" is two different things. I think I'd also be on the phone with AMD letting them know what a crappy job one of their approved installation centers did. I'm sure they'll be very interested in that. That's a direct reflection on them. I'd be sending them all kind of pictures as well. They're good folks to deal with and you want them in your corner.

This x1,000

Based on the description it sounds like not nearly enough fitting was done prior to finish welding. That’s totally on the shop, especially if they’re an AMD install location. No replacement panels just slide right on to a 50 year old car and land in the perfect spot. Between the factory tolerances, 50 years out in the world and production tolerances on the replacement parts it takes some fitting to get things right.

back in the day no one would go into the door or trunk openings you cut and flange back from them if possible because it is time consuming making it work otherwise. That said though it isnt impossible its sounds like the welder didnt spend the time getting it right.
The Cats I know, don't let the welder hang metal...., unless it's Big Al. But he Will Not work behind anyone else.... he's Bad Man, Super Bad! I'll take some pics next ti.e I'm out that way and start a thread. He's almost finished with his childhood 68 Coronet... base clear black, Slightly tubbed.... just sick...

Last edited:
had body panels replaced had good gap be for they replaced quarter panels now no gap at end of trunk how and at doors both sides 1/8 or better in middle of doors quarter sticks out all amd metal
Other than the fact that you are not happy with current gaps, I can make no sense of this. If you are unhappy, you need to go back to the shop. Threaten them with small claims court if they refuse to fix the problem. I am totally anal with test fitting BEFORE welding when I replace any body panels. I use screws, panel clamps, tack welds, whatever works best. You NEVER weld on a quarter panel without checking door and trunk lid fitment first!

Other than the fact that you are not happy with current gaps, I can make no sense of this. If you are unhappy, you need to go back to the shop. Threaten them with small claims court if they refuse to fix the problem. I am totally anal with test fitting BEFORE welding when I replace any body panels. I use screws, panel clamps, tack welds, whatever works best. You NEVER weld on a quarter panel without checking door and trunk lid fitment first!
Yessir. No BodyMan/ Tech here (never became a killer welder) but have helped in the various ways leading up to that point!

-
Back