Trunk Gasket Question

-

easyrider

65 droptop
Reaction score
I bought a new gasket for the trunk. The old one came out 6 mo. ago when it went to the paint shop so I don't even remember what it looked like. The new one appears that it has to be glued on. Am I missing something?

Attachments

• 32.JPG
    131.5 KB · Views: 311
They use a black gasket paste I cant think of what its called right now but every parts store has it.

They use a black gasket paste I cant think of what its called right now but every parts store has it.

X2 3M Black super weatherstrip and gasket adhesive.
Sure like your car!

Darryl

Thanks for the info. I'll pick some up today. Just had the car painted inside and out. Replacing all the rubber and having all chrome redone. New top will be tan. Just ordered it Monday. Can't wait! Trying to get it back together for a Fun Run in April.

Sometimes the gasket is cut slightly larger than needed so some trimming can be done. There is a symmetrical pattern to the gasket and it should meet tightly in the middle at bottom of trunk edge. Sometimes you need to trim some excess off to get a proper tight fit. Go slow use a small amount of adhesive otherwise when you press down the gasket to the car excess comes out everywhere and it's a pain in the a** to clean after the fact. Just food for thought.

Carl

Go to Walmart and buy a brick of the old wooden spring type clothes pins, they were about $1.99. Put down a foot or so of 3M, and then use the clothes pins to hold the seal in place. Continue around the edge repeating the process as you go. When you meet back where you started, you may to cut the end off to fit flush.

Here's pic from last summer.

IMG_20120701_170454.jpg
[/IMG]

Great idea with the clothes pins. Bought them at the dollar store for $1.00. All complete. Looks good. Thanks again.
Tom

Go to Walmart and buy a brick of the old wooden spring type clothes pins, they were about $1.99. Put down a foot or so of 3M, and then use the clothes pins to hold the seal in place. Continue around the edge repeating the process as you go. When you meet back where you started, you may to cut the end off to fit flush.

Here's pic from last summer.

IMG_20120701_170454.jpg
[/IMG]
We just did that with mine. Worked good.

-
Back