Trunk prop question

-

bohica2xo

Reaction score
I have a '65 Barracuda,with the spring loaded trunk prop.

Spring feels ok, does not bind. But it does not have enough force to hold that little deck up - not even close.

I did not see any place to hook it other than where it already is hooked. Am I missing something?

Thanks

B.

Is it a stock prop? My '64 doesn't have a spring loaded prop, it's a prop that latches in place and is released by slightly lifting the lid. It definitely holds the weight no problem.

He is correct there were 2 types of props and it changed some time during the years there is the ratchet type that my 65 barracuda has which is broke I have one found I just have to get with a member here when time allows and the spring loaded one which the spring after all these years has just gotten weak and won't hold the weight that's why I think they went to the ratchet type later. Ask around on here there are lots of members with this type of part stashed in the garage for a rainy day good luck.

Look for a similar size spring and use both, worked great on mine.

I have that slide one where you have to lift to release lock to close, just cut it off parts car, took the metal off the trunk and the lower quarter panel, would be real easy to ship. Pm me if interested, don't know what worth just thought it would be good to save. Matt

I removed my spring loaded trunk prop a few years ago because the pressure of the spring in its closed position puts a lot of pressure on the trunk lid and trunk hinges. It can cause a slight "lump" in the outside of the lid and the driver side hinge will become loose over time because of the built up pressure from the spring pushing straight into it. As you can tell, the trunk lid on these 64 - 66 Barracudas is very heavy and need a very strong spring to hold it up. In the end, I just removed mine after I did a partial resto. It did cause a lump in the trunk lid on the outside portion where it attaches inside and my trunk lid hinge was worn and very loose. I now keep a 2' long plastic stick with a sock tied around both ends in order to keep the lid up when needed. Personally I would just remove it.

My .02

ZooKypr

I had one that sagged like that and I added a spacer inside the tube to give the spring a little more compression. In my case I added about a 2" section of pipe or tubing....I can't remember which or exactly how long.....but a lot will depend on how bad yours is. You may need it a little longer or might be able to get away with a shorter one. The '64 and early '65 used the ratchet, late '65 and '66 used the "spear gun"!

Thanks everyone. "Spear gun" - I like it.

I checked the unit against a scale, only has about 20 pounds of force extended, but about 60 compressed. spring is tired from sitting stretched for 45 years.

I was just concerned I was missing something in the general installation of it. The design is sound, and it articulates out of the way well enough. The attachment to the inner stiffener on the trunk lid is solid. The hole on the body is a little egg shaped. Not a big deal. I will look at adding a longer tube.

B.

Unless this is a resto (doesn't sound like it it you're into modifying the stock pieces instead of replacing them with NOS), why not get a couple of small gas struts (junkyard what you need or there's virtually any size/length of replacement available now at most auto parts or hardware stores) and adapt them in. Easy enough to make up the brackets and bolt/weld them in. Properly done they'd be unobtrusive and hold the deck lid up with no strain to it or the hinge components at all.

Thanks everyone. "Spear gun" - I like it.

I checked the unit against a scale, only has about 20 pounds of force extended, but about 60 compressed. spring is tired from sitting stretched for 45 years.

I was just concerned I was missing something in the general installation of it. The design is sound, and it articulates out of the way well enough. The attachment to the inner stiffener on the trunk lid is solid. The hole on the body is a little egg shaped. Not a big deal. I will look at adding a longer tube.

B.
After having a hook break on one of mine, and the remains whizzed by my ear, a "spear gun" seemed the appropriate term!

Well, the spring prop is no longer a problem.

I looked at the geometry, and it was clear that a lot of thought went into it. The prop swings flat as the lid closes, and it retreats from the luggage space.

A spring was a less than ideal solution, but was all the engineer had available 45 years ago. That extension spring geometry in the prop rod was the best they could do - but it put a lot of force on things when closed to do the job open.

After looking at the hook closely, I could see why it almost took your head off:

DSCN4830.JPG

The sheetmetal was sawing the hook in half!

Obviously a nitrogen charged prop is the answer, and I get to keep the OEM geometry. I used a ball joint to replace the hook, and machined up a spacer to keep the geometry the same. The deck lid has a nice formed area for the hook, and you can get to the back to hold the nut. The spacer spreads the load on the sheetmetal, so it should live a long time:

DSCN4833.JPG

I made an adapter to use the OEM hook on the lower part, rather than fabricate a new hook. The lower hook pivots the opposite direction, and showed no signs of dangerous wear. The prop puts less stress on things in the closed position than the 45 year old spring did, but because of the linear nature of the nitrogen cylinder it has plenty of force to hold the lid open.

DSCN4834.JPG

Thanks to everybody that helped here. This little cars is full of "different" for me. I hate to modify anything too much, and tend to stash anything I remove - I consider myself the "current" owner. The "next guy" may actually want the original parts.

B.

Well, the spring prop is no longer a problem.

I looked at the geometry, and it was clear that a lot of thought went into it. The prop swings flat as the lid closes, and it retreats from the luggage space.

A spring was a less than ideal solution, but was all the engineer had available 45 years ago. That extension spring geometry in the prop rod was the best they could do - but it put a lot of force on things when closed to do the job open.

After looking at the hook closely, I could see why it almost took your head off:

DSCN4830.JPG

The sheetmetal was sawing the hook in half!

Obviously a nitrogen charged prop is the answer, and I get to keep the OEM geometry. I used a ball joint to replace the hook, and machined up a spacer to keep the geometry the same. The deck lid has a nice formed area for the hook, and you can get to the back to hold the nut. The spacer spreads the load on the sheetmetal, so it should live a long time:

DSCN4833.JPG

I made an adapter to use the OEM hook on the lower part, rather than fabricate a new hook. The lower hook pivots the opposite direction, and showed no signs of dangerous wear. The prop puts less stress on things in the closed position than the 45 year old spring did, but because of the linear nature of the nitrogen cylinder it has plenty of force to hold the lid open.

DSCN4834.JPG

Thanks to everybody that helped here. This little cars is full of "different" for me. I hate to modify anything too much, and tend to stash anything I remove - I consider myself the "current" owner. The "next guy" may actually want the original parts.

B.

That looks outstanding. Any part numbers in case we would like to do that?

I made that spacer. It is just aluminum bar with a 30 degree angle turned on it to clear the shaft of the gas spring.

The other end of the prop uses a turned aluminum part to hold the OEM hook on. I did not want to modify the original hook.

If you do not have the OEM hook for the bottom, It would not be too had to bend up something that works.

B.

I've had this one on my car for about 10 years now...bought it from an ebay'er for $49.00 way back when!! They're a little more now...$105 shipped. Made a thread about it a couple weeks ago. It works great and always has!! PM me for details if you'd like info on the seller!! Geof

PS...yes, Keith, I'll add another bolt to the hinge!!!LOL!!

Attachments

• 100_4785.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 118
-
Back