trunk spring adjustment for trunk with wing?

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I installed a wing on my trunk and I find the trunk wants to drop down way too easy. There are 4 slotted holes for the torsion bar adjustment and mine is in the second hole from the front of the car? I am thinking with the wing I need to pull that torsion bar back to the rear of the car but should I go 1 hole or all the way to the end hole?? Also, Is there some danger in doing this?? I was thinking on taking a piece of oak stick and prying it out of the hole and pulling back until it pops back into the next hole? Am I looking for trouble doing it like that?

I installed a wing on my trunk and I find the trunk wants to drop down way too easy. There are 4 slotted holes for the torsion bar adjustment and mine is in the second hole from the front of the car? I am thinking with the wing I need to pull that torsion bar back to the rear of the car but should I go 1 hole or all the way to the end hole?? Also, Is there some danger in doing this?? I was thinking on taking a piece of oak stick and prying it out of the hole and pulling back until it pops back into the next hole? Am I looking for trouble doing it like that?
Show us a picture.

You will add spring tension by dropping the tension rods down to lower holes . The only danger is the dam trunk will drop when you go to move to a different tension locations and the trunk is very very heavy!!. Do yourself a favor and take a picture with your phone of the springs and how they're set up in case they come down and you need to put them back into place and that's very complicated remembering of positioning. Removing them completely and then reinstalling them can get very complicated because I believe they are left and right sides. I would go the furthest tension location as mine are set on the second to last and very firm with out a wing.

Good luck

I moved mine one slot firmer after adding a wing. It held the lid up but I don't have to pull it down very far before it drops.
Yote

I moved mine one slot firmer after adding a wing. It held the lid up but I don't have to pull it down very far before it drops.
Yote
Am I thinking that one slot firmer is pulling the rod toward the tail lights? My car only has one rod. I think some folks on here seem to have 2 rods on early abody cars?

Yes, pull it toward the rear. My '72 Demon has TWO rods. I adjusted both . They are now in the third slot. Be careful there is a lot of tension on the rod. Do not let it slip.
Yote

I'm curious... In what year or model was the change to only 1 torsion rod ?

-
Back