TRW Idler arm

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Just got a new TRW idler arm. This is a '75 disc package I am putting on my '72. I ordered the IA for the '75. From the pic you can see the old one and the new one. Is this a wrong part, an improved design, or what?
Thanks,
C

DCP_2660.jpg

73 - Up takes a different pitman/idler and center link. No need to change them if you are just going to discs. The turning radius is better with the 72 and down believe it or not..

This is a disc brake and steering system from a '75. The IA needs replacement and this is what was sent, will it work?
Thanks,
C

If you are changing k frames & swapping in all 1975 stuff then by all means use the new piece---- if you are using 72 steering then you will need a 72 piece.

Lawrence

You must use the same year center link and idler arm as your K-member. 73-76 stuff will not work on a 72. You ordered the wrong part.

To convert to later disks you swap the spindles and upper control arms. Steering linkage does not change.

C130, It appears the old IA is from a 75, why do you reckon there is a variation in design vs. the replacement? Are some 73 up IAs and PAs straight? :) That may have advantages if so.. I think.

Hold on folks. I try to give all of the pertinent info up front, but I guess there is never enough.
I am working on a '72 Duster. I have a K-frame from a later A body. Not sure what year, but it has spool mounts and the sway bar goes through the frame.

Now, the parts car. It is a '75 Duster. From the pic above you can see that the IA was straight. The replacement curved. I am transferring the complete steering, to include the center link, from the '75.

How's this for another kink. While rooting around the other day I found another old IA. I think I may have taken it off the V8 K-frame; it was curved.
At this point nothing is mounted on the car. Hopefully I will be there by late Feb. early Mar.
Thanks,
Cal

-
Back