trying to fix door panel

-

1969dodgedartgt

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have one door panel that needs some help, the cover is coming off and torn a bit.

I thought I would just pop the thing off, take a hair drier to it and staple the cover back on so things looked better. Unfortunately even standard paper stables come through the whole thing and thats no good.

should I try glue or maybe I can find even smaller stables?
also can someone point me to were I can get a new set of the clips that hold the panel on the door, not all mine are in good shape and it can lead to ugliness when trying to put the panel back on.

lastly are these original? (i think they are) and is that leather?

pics, and thanks

oh yeah one more, that rust on the screws, should it worry me?, what can i do? and the plastic weather stripping whats its purpose and how important is it?

:cheers:

Attachments

• IMG_2434.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2435.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2436.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_2437.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2438.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_2439.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 138
I would find a different door panel.But if you want to try and fix that one I would use 3M spray glue.

Jim

well I tried to heat it up and stretch the "leather" back over the top to glue from back, but couldnt get the thing hot enough to allow this. So I bought some "Surehold multi-purpose Sureflex adhesive" with 55%contact adhesive from frys. Stuff says its safe for leather. I got lazy and just squirted the stuff down between the "leather" and the stupid cardboard and threw some weights on it. result was less then perfect. I dont think that stuff is leather, it bubbled up when it came in contact with that contact adhesive.

heres some pics. I'm happy with it, its not great but it should stop it from coming off any more. and it looks a bit better Good temp fix till i feel its safe to spend money on new panel.

Attachments

• IMG_2444.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2445.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2446.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 99
To answer a few of your questions: They are original door panels (correct for your car) and are vinyl. As far as re-attaching the loose edges I have used exterior body molding/emblem glue with good results.

-
Back