Trying to help a total stranger!

-

Dartish

Reaction score
Last night after a long day at work, I stopped at the truck stop up the road for a healthy grease burger.I noticed a beautiful 69 super bee at one of the gas pumps. At the next pump was a 61? 300. Beautiful bright red. Not a muscle car right? Well just wait! I was telling them they had a couple nice looking cars, and have to admit I was more interested in the warmed up Bee, with the 4 speed. U,til the other fellow opened the good on that big red Chrysler that I figured was an old greasy 361 or something! Holy crap!!! Polished long ram intake, shiny Carter's and a very stout 440 with2" headers!!!! Anyway, turns out these guys were from Manitoba CANADA and were DRIVING their prized possesions to Colombus for the Mopar Nats!!!! They had stickers from Carlisle, and other big events they've driven too. Unfortunately as they were leaving, the starter crapped on the Chrysler and it wouldn't spin. I drove him to all the shops and parts stores I could think of since I didn't have a working starter to give them. And changing a starter on that big block with those big tube headers at night in a parking lot looked like it wasn't going to happen. I showed them to the nearest parts store and a motel. Heading down there now to take some jackstands and a big block header gasket to get them going again. These guys are a long way from home, but it shows the passion they have for the mopar culture. Wish them luck in their trip, and I'm going to go do what I can to get them on the road. They were more then happy to let me take pics of their machines until my phone went dead. Seemed like great guys, and I wish them a safe journey with no more problems
0808171651.jpg
0808171651.jpg
0808171651.jpg

Here's the Chrysler engine that shelled the starter. No greasy old 361 or 413. Very healthy 440 in there now. Good luck guys!!!! You've got my number if you need anything else
0808171655.jpg

I guess I woulda done it for most people, kharma you know!

Just awesome cars and awesome story of helping out. Thanks for sharing. You made my day and I'm sure their day.:canada:

Iowa nice! I'm sure they really appreciated the help.

They did make a comment about Iowa people being the friendliest people they've come across yet. I was at the right place right time. Wish I woulda had a trailer, and a good starter on hand. I woulda towed them to my place and got them going and on their way last night. Like they said,it's all part of the journey, take the good with the bad. Couple hours and they be back in action hopefully

Hope you guys don't mind, but I told them about this site, and all the good people on it. I know they aren't a bodies, but they're mopars none the less. I told them we're everywhere and if they run in to anymore problems, let someone on here know and maybe they can help with a part or tool or something. These were great guys to meet. Very appreciative and tried to pay me for my time, told them my time is free for mopar guys driving classic cars across 2 countries

If it were you or me broke down somewhere, we would appreciate the help also. Always glad to help when I can.

Thats what being a car guy is all about.im from manitoba, i have lost count of how many people i have helped out of a bind. Its not a contest anyway. In a couple weeks theres a big car show,hope they are back and attending.would be great to see that big block up close and personal.

It was a very well crafted classic. Still had the old look with those air cleaners and valve covers, but had electronic ignition, voltage regulator,etc. Was all wired and routed very professionally. Definitely a lot of time and money under that big red good by someone with a lot of skill

Very well done Dartish! World needs a lot more people like you in it.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure any of you guys would have done whatever you could also!

It is a surprise when you see those long runners in person.
Seems to me an unseen force placed you in their path, one thing's for sure they will always remember you.

What's ironic, is I just bought a half moon mopar starter wrench at an auction. It was still laying on front seat of my truck. I ended up giving it to him and put myself out 75 cents.lol

Thats what being a car guy is all about.im from manitoba, i have lost count of how many people i have helped out of a bind. Its not a contest anyway. In a couple weeks theres a big car show,hope they are back and attending.would be great to see that big block up close and personal.
The guy driving the super bee mentioned an upcoming show in Manitoba. In betting you'll see them there. Besides the bee, he has a 68 runner with a built 440 6 pack and the guy with the Chrysler has a 67 barracuda with a big block I believe

Definitely awesome of you to help!

We all gotta stick together, us Mopar guys are few and far between!

NICE! you did make one mistake though, you didnt get the keys and give them to me :lol: kidding kidding, well done :thumbsup:

great story, thanks for helping out, been there done that

thanks for helping these guys. FABO rules!!!

yes things can go wrong making these long road trips, BUT those that have never done this, should!!! it is such a blast! just do it with a buddy ( or your wife IF she is suited for this!)

sorta like being on the road with a six horse trailer loaded, traveling to an event 500 miles away. things break.... 6 head of horses and broke down, horse people learn to be there when needed...

The guy driving the super bee mentioned an upcoming show in Manitoba. In betting you'll see them there. Besides the bee, he has a 68 runner with a built 440 6 pack and the guy with the Chrysler has a 67 barracuda with a big block I believe
Great, its a big event for the neighbouring small town. Hundreds of gorgeous cars,and a few tuner cars. Lol

I hope when i break down i meet someone like you, willing to give a helping hand.

On a side note, the guy that blew past me in a raging snowstorm and lost control a few hundred feet in front of me and slid er in to the rhubarb backwards can stay there til the towtruck comes. Road is safer without him on it. Peace.

Last edited:
-
Back