trying to pull ponnies with little cash

-
If your running the original 7 1/4 rear it most likely has 2.76 gearing. It's not going to be a tire burner even with 400 HP with those gears. I would change the rear end first and then start with some bolt on parts. You can add 100 HP to a stock 318 with bolt on parts using stock heads. 300 HP is easy to come by 400 will take better heads or head work and a larger cam.

the car was originaly a 4spd so it probaly is a 2.76. i wish it wasnt converted to auto but it kinda worked out good for me cuz i rebuilt a 727 to get rid of the slippin 904. i do plan on power steering just for easier cruising. when it comes to exhaust im going to run the same size as collect all the back with super 44s. im suprised i havent got pulled over yet with the glass packs cause its loud now. as for rear end im sayin a 9 1/4 or dana 44 only cause i have those to on my property already i would do 8 3/4 just difficult to find one here and ive heard horror stories with small horse power to them. (sorry i tend to jump round but atleast everyone knows what im talking about)

For $3000 and a little looking you can get a 5.7 hemi and transmission. I'd find someone who totaled/wrecked their car and do an insurance buyback. Then you could sell your 318/727 to offset the cost and have a near 400hp setup that gets slightly better fuel efficiency. Just another idea to kick around instead of the v10.

I was stating that to transform these to perform isnt cost effective. Starting with a 302 head would put you ahead of the curve. The intake runners are too small.

Well actually, pete, the 302 head has the same ports as the early head...and the closed chamber 'so far in my testing' shrouds the valve more and basically hurts flow.

The pistons mentioned and headers won't get you to 400 but with a good cam you can get more than you have now.Basicly 4 bbl,cam,pistons,headers and high flowing heads but thats not cheap so pistons headers and cam is your best shot.

This!

Too bad I did the opposite and went back with a stock rotating assembly without thinking about piston changes until I started doing in-depth research for gaining performance out of the little 318's. My setup includes: Edelbrock 750cfm, Weiand Action+Plus Manifold, Comp Cams XE262-H, 2 1/4" Exhaust w/ Summit 4" Glasspacks (stops at crossmember), Electric fan & fuel pump, Mallory Distributor, Summit Street/Strip Coil... Hope to have decent power once I put it back together in a few days. Next in line will be having work done to current heads or finding a set of the 302 casting heads.

For $3000 and a little looking you can get a 5.7 hemi and transmission. I'd find someone who totaled/wrecked their car and do an insurance buyback. Then you could sell your 318/727 to offset the cost and have a near 400hp setup that gets slightly better fuel efficiency. Just another idea to kick around instead of the v10.

i had that thought in mind but around here people are insane with the pricing. the reason for the v10 was for something out of the oridinary. but i no that is alot of work

V10 isn't worth the trouble, might as well try to swap in a Gas Turbine engine from a helicopter LOL... Just rebuild your 318 for now and thrash the hell out of it, they are a dime a dozen so you can have all the fun in the world trying to blow it up and just grab another one for a couple hundred to throw in. I drove mine until it burnt a quart of oil a week and it still kept up with my buddy's modded '02 Subaru WRX. Don't forget we're talking about a ~3200-lb. car with a 5.2-liter V8, that's pretty ballsy in itself. Nowadays most cars that light either have turbo 4-bangers or cost $60k+ (Vette, Viper, etc.)

I agree with MOPE- a lot of today's little cars weigh quite a bit due to the content level in them. Then when you add on the drag of an AWD system when you talk Evo and STis' you have some room to wiggle in if you can hook up. I have a few friends with SRT-4's, Evo's, and STis'- they can be made quite evil, but it takes quite a stash of cash for those levels of power

i may be able to get a hemi but i dont known how it is cause its out of a wrecked truck but if i could find a complete 340 out here im going for that cause thats wat i want really with a 6 pack on it:burnout:

If your running the original 7 1/4 rear it most likely has 2.76 gearing. It's not going to be a tire burner even with 400 HP with those gears. I would change the rear end first and then start with some bolt on parts. You can add 100 HP to a stock 318 with bolt on parts using stock heads. 300 HP is easy to come by 400 will take better heads or head work and a larger cam.

I'd do this and add 3:55 to 3:91 gear's,a 4 bbl and header's as well as a cam. You can add magnum's or ported 302 casting heads,these heads bump the cr up without changing piston's. Or simply mill the current heads. You will need to have around 10:1 so it will work well with a biggish cam.

Or you could always just add nos..

im new to this site. i no im gona to get alot of responses. but i bought a 72 duster bout a yr ago its got a 318 i was told out of a 68 truck was swapped to 727 original 7 1/4 rear end. now ive had alot of different plans for this like dropping a v10 with a 6spd or a 440. but since im short on cash i have a 318 out of a 84 ram i believe it only has 60000 miles but when i tore it apart is was nasty lookin but what im basicaly asking does any have any ideas on how to get somewhere around 400hp out it with spending as little as possible and as little machining as possible the car will b use on the street more and im hopping to put a 6spd in with mayb a 9 1/4 or a dana 44 with 4.10 or 4.11:burnout:

If a 68; just get rid of the 4 bbl; cam won't take it. The engine can't pull over 400 cfm. Look at gearing first. I had a new 70 318, 3 speed manual. 17 in the 1/4.

stronger valve springs (float) 500 cfm Holley slowed it, until leaned out. Traction bars, 3.23 open. Got it to 15.5.

If a 68; just get rid of the 4 bbl; cam won't take it. The engine can't pull over 400 cfm.

Huh? Then riddle me this sir. How does a stock 1983 318 4bbl end up with an 800 cfm thermoquad from the factory?This motor also had a factory 318 cam.

Seriously,at the least a performance oriented 318 needs 650 cfm. 550 if you want better economy.

cheapest ponies with the least cash = get a wrecked vehicle with a 360... pay maybe a couple hundred dollars drop it in and go

the engine thats in the car now has a 2bbl i dnt realy want to go out and buy another engine since i haved a complete 318 thats all tore down just needs to be put back together i dont want to put it back stock cause i want some power but not to much. unlike a thought i had with a early 70s dodge pickup since im in cali nd i hate smog:violent1:

my 318 is descent.it ran great before these upgrades. KB dome pistons $430, 360 heads-free with $350 dollar clean up job, cant remember cam but it was somewhere in about $250, eddy performer rpm air gap intake $265, eddy 1405 carb $270,heddman headers 50 bucks swap meet style,

i need someone to crack this number off the side of driver side of the block for me 4323330 318-1

the engine thats in the car now has a 2bbl i dnt realy want to go out and buy another engine since i haved a complete 318 thats all tore down just needs to be put back together i dont want to put it back stock cause i want some power but not to much. unlike a thought i had with a early 70s dodge pickup since im in cali nd i hate smog:violent1:

OK then this helps put things in perspective for us... I would highly recommend getting the parts I recommended in my earlier post (pistons, cam, heads, intake, headers, etc.) since your engine is already apart. You should be able to get an easy 300-350 HP with those parts which will be plenty of power for your car.

And unless you're looking to build some kind of clone car or restoration don't waste your time looking for a 340... they are very expensive and rare and you can get basically the same performance from a built 360 which is MUCH easier to find.

personally if it runs I would start with the rear axle. If you don't you will break the 7 1/4 anyway!!!!! For 400 hp goal 741 8 3/4 with 373 sure grip would be plenty. 741 will take 400 all day long and cheaper than 742 or 489 I wouldn't mess with the Dana 44 the 8 3/4 is bolt and go no custom drive shaft no bs.. Personally I would dump the 318 if your going to build it anyway start with a 360 you could pick one up running for a few hundred bucks. The extra c.i. is cheap power. If you look you cold find someones old engine for cheap. Someone on here just picked up a running mopar 300hp crate for 400 bucks. Even if you bought one for 1500 its still cheap vs building one

There's a lot of engines on the various CL's that I've seen. I've bought a couple and passed on more due to not needing even what I have. Maybe your local CL is the same. You never know what you'll see on there, and can maybe have a nice running engine in there quick and cheap.

There's a lot of engines on the various CL's that I've seen. I've bought a couple and passed on more due to not needing even what I have. Maybe your local CL is the same. You never know what you'll see on there, and can maybe have a nice running engine in there quick and cheap.

ya but where im at everyone is a chevy or a ford person a few dodge guys so theres not alot of dodge stuff on craigslist

ya but where im at everyone is a chevy or a ford person a few dodge guys so theres not alot of dodge stuff on craigslist

Yeah, I'm sure it varies. But everyone is a Chevy or Ford guy everywhere, including here, and there's still been tons of Mopar stuff on all the various area CL's lately. If you haven't looked, it can't hurt to just watch them, never know what will turn up. Honestly, there's even 340's for sale all the time lately around here.

Yeah, I'm sure it varies. But everyone is a Chevy or Ford guy everywhere, including here, and there's still been tons of Mopar stuff on all the various area CL's lately. If you haven't looked, it can't hurt to just watch them, never know what will turn up. Honestly, there's even 340's for sale all the time lately around here.

340s r rare round here all ive seen were short blocks or bare ones and ive looked not that long ago and there was nothing but 318s

-
Back