Trying to put the windshield chrome back on - is this gasket right?

-

Bobacuda

Reaction score
I bought the new windshield from AMD and the gasket from DMT. After a great fight getting it installed, I am now baffled at how so few pieces can totally baffle me on the installation. The FSM and the Barracuda supplement are useless for this. If anyone has any good photos of which parts go where, maybe with my photos it won't be so confusing.

But on to another issue. The attached photo of the red car shows an original windshield gasket (DMT website). The close-up photos of the gasket they sold me for a '67 Barracuda convertible have a tall "rib" that sticks up and a gap - almost looks like a lock strip gap. I am confused.

Question #1. Has any member used the DMT 1967 Barracuda convertible with the mylar lockstrip at the bottom (no metal). If so, what does yours look like? Photos, please.

Question #2. Is this the correct gasket? 3 hrs and $300 of professional labor makes me hope so.

Question #3. If this is correct, does my chrome trim go into the groove? IF not, does it go over or behind the tall "rib?'
Thanks,
Bob

upload_2022-8-4_17-8-11.jpeg
IMG_4959[1].JPG
IMG_4960[1].JPG
IMG_4961[1].JPG

Thanks for looking.

The bottom is locked in with the Mylar. My immediate problem is, “Is this the correct gasket for a ‘67 conv, windshield locked with the Mylar strip? How does the chrome trim fit with this gasket?”

Convertible gaskets and trim were the same for 67, 68 & 69 Barracudas and Darts.

I will take a picture of my convertible to help you see how it goes. Back soon.

Thanks. Gives me a bit more to work with. If it’s not too much to ask, would you open the for and take a photo of the chrome trim and the weather strip on the corner of the windshield-door interface and where the small chrome pieces at the end that turns dow the inside A pillar?
Thanks again,
Bob

THANKS! That helps a bunch! As soon as I get back from working tomorrow, if I’m not totally burned out, I will use the info and give it a try.
Bob

@mvh what color is your car?

Your photos look like my 67 dart.
I thought they were at first.

First of all, thanks to members here for info and photos. But geez - whoever dreamed up the gasket, weatherstripping and the chrome trim on the ‘67 Barracuda Convertible deserves to be slapped around. I got it on, but I’ll always see the inadequacies.

First of all, I think the gasket I bought must fit some other models better than a ‘67 B’cuda. Looking at photos, the new gasket is just different. On top of that, it has a “lip.”

And the trim - 14 shiny pieces and 30 screws, plus 2 weatherstrips. I think I’ve worked on 2000 piece jigsaw puzzles that gave me less grief. Absolute proof you can’t take too many photos during disassembly.

Just guesstimating, but between research and install on the trim, I probably have more than 20 hrs in it (shows my ignorance).

D1F49E71-729D-4698-9C06-FF87A8B35100.jpeg

4222F8B8-D2D0-4C56-B528-B64493E54C28.jpeg

FA5578AB-766C-4B0C-ADCB-3DAB23E4F7DF.jpeg

F1AB8826-089D-4A4C-B40D-83DAC7206109.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks beautiful. One thing I know is the mylar lockstrip is only mfg by one company(Precision Replacement). Its pricey but correct. They also Mfg ws gaskets. There are a lot of suppliers for Precision. Maybe chk their site out for info. I'm converting our 67 barracuda over to stainless. A pricey endeavour(new gasket, clips and ss trim. Also ws has been removed, so I decided to redo my harness and get dash powdercoated....a rabbit hole lol.
Yours looks amazing!:thumbsup:

-
Back