Trying to set idle and due to dieing when in gear after it gets warm. Need help.

-
You know what, I just thought of somethings. all this nonsense started after the new float went in, right? And the new float was brass. Was the replaced one also brass? Cuz IIRC,the float settings are different between brass and nitrophyl.Perhaps the fuel level is too high or it's not stable. What if perhaps the perceived float problem was really a float-valve problem? Hmmmmmmmmmm

If the fuel level was too high it would stall with the rag placed over the carb. If I were the OP I would also dial in spark advance just short of detonation and see if that cures the week idle. My old slanty liked a richly jetted carb and more initial advance or it would stumble.

If the fuel level was too high it would stall with the rag placed over the carb.

Yeah, my error; been thread hopping, and got mixed up.

I reread the thread, and I know this has been mentioned before, but, boy-oh-boy it sure sounds like a vacuum leak, or a faulty low speed circuit.
I know slantys like to pull air in at the head to intake interface. And I know you said you checked, but...........
Normally I would suspect the brake booster, but I didn't see one in the video.
And like I said in an earlier post, too-tight valve lash can drop the vacuum as well.

But, here's an interesting thing; I don't recall ever having seen an engine continue to run with the carb completely covered by the rag. This leads me to think the vacuum leak is actually internal to the carb. This, cuz that's the only way the low speed circuit could continue to work. With no air flowing by the discharge port, neither would there be fuel, cuz it's the atmospheric air flowing by the port which causes the pressure drop, that alows air pressure in the float bowl to push fuel up the idle wells and out the ports................. Hey, is your bowl-vent set right? Some of those early 70s carbs had adjustable vents. They were to be closed with the engine off, and open at all other conditions. The electric throttle kicker made that happen. Check it out.

-
Back