Trying to summon the motivation

-
Lots and lots of cocaine.
Not methamphetamine? It is cheaper and you get to meet some real trustworthy people!

1707540011497.png

IMG_3678.JPG

Do any of you remember the drive and force that you felt years ago when something needed to be done?
I do. I used to take things as a challenge and rise to meet it. I was motivated to do things.
Many times nowadays, it just isn't there. Part of me wants to but laziness creeps in. I want to get out of that rut.
I have car projects out back. I have stuff to do on the house too.
Years back when I had gained a bit of weight, the wife and I decided to get in shape. We ate better, joined a gym and in a few months, I was down 30 lbs and looked much better. Once I got to the goal, I actually liked the journey getting there and in some weird way, thought it would be fun to do again some day.
Winters are the worst for me in terms of kick starting my motivation. Is it the same for you? The gold and gloomy skies make me want to stay inside despite several tasks that need attention. It doesn't even snow here so I can only imagine what it is like for those guys that live in it.
I've read that some people just get out and casually start doing things in the hopes that it will inspire them to keep moving. That does work but sometimes I'll still just turn around and come back inside. I spend too much time online already...I need to ignite my fire and I don't know what it is.
Didn't you recently retire? Working hard your entire life will do that to a person.
Relax, the motivation and energy will rebound.

I did retire, October 2022 was when I left the job for the last time. I did work hard, I had a daily obligation back then.

Winters are hard everywhere. I am much more productive in the summer 100 or more degrees with longer daylight.

I feel I am more motivated now than when I was younger. Especially with cars because I know more what I want out of a car and what to realistically expect from a car now more than when I was younger. I have a bigger car budget now than I did before. It used to kill motivation to not afford good parts to finish a project where now I find it's exciting to get a pile of parts, have a plan and GO!!

however, I think I have less time now so it has to count when I do.
I also feel the drive to stay fit, the thought of gaining a ton of weight in my late 30 is frightful.

The key things are to get offline, and have a plan. IMO.
Your last sentence sums it up. Get offline.

I'm self employed, I work out of the house, I have no boss standing over my shoulder. Another thing that helps motivate me is I keep a daily log of everything I do. This log is then shared with 3 other people; folks that I work with and answer to. It's like the gold star on the board in elementary school. I want my daily logs to show I'm valuable to them in little ways. This makes me accountable for my time.

Definitely limit online time. Only on in the morning and a quick check around lunch break, unless I'm doing online research for yet another project. Winter time is hibernation and recharge time. No excuse here, I have a heated and AC basement shop, I don't even have to go outside. I'm 69 and have been retired for a long time. I have 3 Barracudas apart and just need to get them back together again. That's the goal this summer. I usually work till dinner 7 or 8 pm, then my wife gets all my attention, usually a show off the shelf and bed time. Right now, I am redoing the roof under our deck and piddling with carbs, while changing the new red carpet to new black carpet in the 66 Formula S. I love summer, I grew up in Florida, so heat does not affect me till about 100*F. I can't sit still for very long.

Didn't you recently retire? Working hard your entire life will do that to a person.
Relax, the motivation and energy will rebound.
See, now I found the opposite......

I am 59 and retired when I was 51. If I had a job to do, time was limited so I used every free minute I got. A built my house during my 2 week holiday for pete's sake and a 3000 sq ft 2 level shop in 6 weeks working sun up to sun down every day.

My wife and I get lots of exercise, eat well, and are not sedentary. Every summer, we spend lots of time on the road in the RV.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get started on anything now. LOL, my new motto is "well maybe tomorrow" As someone stated earlier, patience is at a minimum as well. When I do finally start something, and it doesn't go smoothly, I get so pissed off.

I can't figure it out......

Sounds like you are doing the "same old same old" Get a project that excites you and the adrenalin
will just appear from nowhere regardless of age. Your health and weight can make a big difference too!

Kern, I hear ya 100% on this. In order to get anything done and remembered, I write a list and do what I can going down the list crossing one thing off at a time.

Sometimes I get half way done and get stopped for a reason and move onto the next item. By days end, I reorganize the list for the next day.

Finding Motivation is a difficult task at times.

While laying in bed at night I plan the next day. Next day comes and I freeze, Anxiety sets in and all the ideas now become a struggle.. where to start, which project, how much time does it take; the list is endless so I end up doing nothing.

Try having two kids and their kids all living in your house.
You will get outside and hope you have something to do.

While laying in bed at night I plan the next day. Next day comes and I freeze, Anxiety sets in and all the ideas now become a struggle.. where to start, which project, how much time does it take; the list is endless so I end up doing nothing.
Exactly.....Never a truer word spoken. I think Rumble's list idea would work the best and I am going to try it.

the list is endless so I end up doing nothing.

I completely agree with this. I'm responsible for why I have so many half-finished projects, and I'm nobody's idea of ADHD. My current solution is to pick something, anything, and finish it to go on to the next thing. So far it's working better than the old plan, which was no plan at all. :realcrazy:

I think having a buddy that has similar interests and lives in the area is invaluable. Of course being able to work with him is good too.

Having both those criteria is fairly hard to find. I get a lot done when I know dude is coming over to help, even if it is to sit there and drink a beer.

If the project has a financial ramification then it is almost as motivating as having a buddy.

Having a buddy or someone that in a way promotes accountability or competition is the key. Otherwise I have to ask myself constantly "what is it all for"? A buddy will enable the need for speed and creativity......"lets get 'er done!!"

$0.02

(I have thought this is actually a good business somehow. You could charge people to be their accountability buddy. You don't actually do any of the work but since its gonna cost them money they will get off their *** and get whatever the project is....started.)

Accomplishing any task, big or little has always given me a sense of accomplishment, a rush. OK so usually a small rush.
If you wake up one day and YOU can not physically do what you want to do,and YOU ask yourself why did you not do thee things when you could..... you lost.

Mom would tell me.......Get off your ***** a** or I will fly down to Ca. and kick it up and down your road! If I need help, I will bring along that axe handle!!! You pay for the flight!:thumbsup: :poke:

I'm 73 real soon and can relate to all that has been posted here. When I parked the 66 in December I had a mental list of what I wanted to accomplish this winter. My garage is not heated so I plan my "car" days around my propane heater and the length of the job I want to do that day. I only work in the garage 2 or so hours at a time so getting frustrated or burned out is not a problem.
I got all the minor stuff in the engine bay done in just a few weeks and took a week off. My last project for the winter was to get rid of the 3.91 gear and put a 3.55 in. The only problem is, I never pulled a center section, I've never changed a ring and pinion and I have never even looked inside a 489 case before. My solution to the re-build and set up was a long time friend whom I would trust to rebuild and set up any gear set in existence. Saying he is good is an understatement. Over a week period I managed to get the axles out pull the chunk and make the hour drive to my friend's shop. About a week later I called to see if he would put new axle bearings on for me so that meant another hour on the road. While my junk is out I have changed axle seals, u-joints and cleaned everything.
My salvation is to do a little at a time and have someone, with experience, do the stuff I can't do. And the hour drive is a pleasure, I lived across the street from Jimmy for a long time and visiting the old neighborhood is always great.
Thanks for reading, Jerry

Last edited:
As I sit here drinking coffee, wondering how to get motivated thinking of the many projects waiting to get started or finished. Getting close to retirement, quoting a new 30x36 shop, deciding if I should upgrade cuda to speedmaster heads, ST-21 cam that I have had new forever, M1 intake, along with taking care of mom(wife). Once I get in garage it’s on, the hardest part seems to be just walking through the door from kitchen to garage?

I'm lucky, all my hobbies are seasonal and when the season changes i get interested
doing things i haven't done for quite some time. I usually only work on the car when
i'm couped up in the winter. When Dec. rolls around i can hardly wait to heat the shop
up and get at it for 3 months.Spring brings warm weather, hobbies and i'm done with
the car project 'til cold weather.

As we get older, it can mean picking our battles...carefullly! What I use to do in 6 hours takes me 2 days now!!
I have that little flip phone in my pocket,,, in case I get on the floor and can not get the **** back UP!!

Myself, as far as the cars go I watch the car shows.
After a couple of those I am more motivated.

As far as being capable, I am physically still ok.
Mechanically, it was what I did for a living up until 25 years ago.
I am/was certified ASE, ATRA (transmissions) stick and auto both, as well as shop foreman/ service manager for 2 large chains.
2 wheel, front wheel and 4x4 bumper to bumper certified.
I did stick shifts plus Allison, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo Pantera and VW automatics. (Even transfer cases and differentials)

The other guys did the normal average stuff, but I was certified in those as well.

Now I don’t even have a garage to put our 2 Darts in, let alone a decent place to do stuff.
All my stuff now is done in a gravel covered back yard.
Ever move a hoist with an engine hanging on it in gravel by yourself. :D

Now you know more about me than anyone on here ever has.

Last edited:
Myself, as far as the cars go I watch the car shows.
After a couple of those I am more motivated.

As far as being capable, I am physically still ok.
Mechanically, it was what I did for a living up until 25 years ago.
I am/was certified ASE, ATRA (transmissions) stick and auto both, as well as shop foreman/ service manager for 2 large chains.
2 wheel, front wheel and 4x4 bumper to bumper certified.
I did stick shifts plus Allison, BMW, Mercedes, Volvo Pantera and VW automatics. (Even transfer cases and differentials)

The other guys did the normal average stuff, but I was certified in those as well.

Now I don’t even have a garage to put our 2 Darts in, let alone a decent place to do stuff.
All my stuff now is done in a gravel covered back yard.
Ever move a hoist with an engine hanging on it in gravel by yourself. :D

Now you know more about me than anyone on here ever has.
Holy Crap.......It doesn't sound like you have motivation problem.

How is THIS for motivation?

1103A758-467F-411B-B347-A3CFCC75EFFB.jpeg

Last week we had a windy storm.
B3F322BE-7B56-4780-BE8E-045AD0500026.jpeg

0218B1FD-6CCC-4D12-8726-4B08BAD3D331.jpeg

What a mess. Trees fell and blocked access to part of the back yard.

1FAB589C-E811-4C10-A9A1-5E35BDFF3565.jpeg

F3878FD0-83EE-4574-9BA8-43E95BF38BFD.jpeg

Chop chop.

DC16EB49-7676-40EE-81BA-3E99CAC7C9AA.jpeg

I have this beast to haul off the fallen.

98175833-C90A-41E4-B838-88D39B8497BC.jpeg

Good times.

How is THIS for motivation?

View attachment 1716205402

Last week we had a windy storm.
View attachment 1716205403

View attachment 1716205408

What a mess. Trees fell and blocked access to part of the back yard.

View attachment 1716205409

View attachment 1716205410

Chop chop.

View attachment 1716205411

I have this beast to haul off the fallen.

View attachment 1716205412

Good times.

Damn Greg! How'd the Mopar stable fare? Looks like they were spared? Give me a holler if you ever need a hand with that kind of stuff. I wouldn't mind lending a hand. That's a pain in the *** for one person.

A huge part of motivation is what you are looking at to be motivated by.

Old projects that don’t interest you much anymore? Get rid of them. Whatever projects were a motivation before don’t necessarily need to be now…and there is no shame in letting them go.

Life changes and things evolve. The past is gone what lies ahead is all you have. Think about what you WANT to do and just focus on that.

Don’t let the past (and unfinished projects) be a boat anchor that keeps you from moving forward in life.

Motivation is nothing more than the will to be alive…and stay that way.

-
Back