TTI Exhaust install 1964 v-8 Barracuda

-

amx364

Reaction score
Just finished install of a TTI 2.5 exhaust kit for stock manifolds of 273 engine on 340 engine in a one owner 64 barracuda that my sister-in-law owns. Well at the start I took the barracuda to a muffler shop to install a dual exhaust before I did the 340 engine swap. They could not do very much only single exhaust starting at where the pipes come together, which was not what I had in mine. So I checked the manifold numbers that I had to work with which was the 340 HiPo manifolds or 273 stock manifolds. Wanted to use the HiPo manifolds at 2.25 manifold size, but TTI could not use those manifolds in the 64 body style. I ordered the 2.5 exhaust X-Pipe kit complete with mufflers. The kit came in good time in one box, very well packed with plenty of padding. Thought it would take about 1 week to install including cutting the crossmember. Instead took about 2 weeks of test fitting and installing the muffler mounts. The instructions say to start from the back and work foward which I did, However I would start at the muffler mounts then see where the tailpipe hanger would like to be mounted to clear the axles the best. The mounts were very high quality, I did modify the muffler hanger with extra adjustment holes to mount as high as I could.

Attachments

• 03-2012 exhaust in a box.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 775
  • 03-2012 exhaust hangers in box.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 679
  • 03-2012 left side tailpipes new and old.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 624
  • 03-2012 mufflers old and new.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 663
  • 03-2012 left tailpipe hanger.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 722
The tail pipe hangers were first tried at the hole on frame, after mounting the muffler hangers I could tell that the tailpipe hangers needed to be moved rearward. The instructions HINT that you could use a existing hole, but that it might not be in the right place. Drilled a new hole about 1.25 inchs rearward. VERY tight location to drill, had to cut some drill bits shorter to fit my angle drill. There is also a metal seam inside the frame close to that location that you can feel with your finger only which you must work around also.
Then when the tailpipes are loosely installed you can test fit the mufflers and the x-pipe. The spacing between the mufflers can be adjusted to fitt the pipe in the proper location.

Attachments

• 03-2012 test fit mufflers and x-pipe.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 636
  • 03-2012 mufflers installed.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 617
  • 03-2012 right side relocated tailpipe hanger.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 617
  • 03-2012 right side muffler hanger.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 665
When I got to the X-pipe I could tell where the interferance would be on the parking brake cable bracket, that was mentioned on the TTI website. Cut that bracket with Skil saw as close to the floorpan as possible. Removed the transmission crossmember and cleaned. Tried to free hand a line on both sides of the mount. Then made a templete to cut the crossmember following the instructions. Cut with a jigsaw as best possible, then did a trial fit with unwelded crossmember to see where I could do nothing more like where the frame could be in the way. Decided to only weld the flat part of the modified crossmember. Using the cut off part of the crossmember used most of that part that goes over the cross bolts and left the curved part unwelded. Glad that I did because I had to trim at the curved part some more.

Attachments

• 04-2012 cut parking bracket right side.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 609
  • 04-2012 clearance with crossmember.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 593
  • 04-2012 interferance with crossmember.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 646
Now to start on the right front pipes, it will not fit without some work. Jack up the motor some and put a 3/4 inch thick board under the motor mount. That is all that is needed to put the pipe in to test fit, I removed the manifold thinking that was needed to get clearance till I tried a board under the motor mount. The front pipes will need to be massaged where it hits. It hit on the block, torsion bar and trans pan at the rear and the crossmember at a curve. Start marking and fix one at a time. Used a grinder on the bellhousing to get some clearance there. Cut off a ear at the back off the transmission. The pipe will fit, it just will take some work to make it happen. When the interferance is removed you can remove the board and get the pipe in and out without any extra work for test fitting.
edit: sorry about the double posting of the same pictures.

Attachments

• 04-2012 interferance with block.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 597
  • 04-2012 interferance with crossmember.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 575
  • 04-2012 clearance with crossmember.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 584
  • 04-2012 clearance with torsion bar.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 610
The left front pipe is harder because the pipe can fit several ways that are hard to tell which way is correct. The end of the left front pipe will be parrell to the right pipe. Again the pipe will need to be massaged at serveral spots, just work out one area at a time. When it gets close then there are two smaller curved pipes that are needed to adjust the width as needed. On Annas Barracuda it appears to be more shifted where both pipes cross the crossmember. It has never been wrecked, so I think it has more to do with using a x-pipe setup. Had to trim the right side small pipe, when doing a full mockup test fitting. Also when doing full mockup use a large pair of pliers to rotate the pipes to it most relaxed location. Welded the small pipes to the x-pipe after marking for fit. To do finish install you must start at the front and work to the back, you will have fun doing the final fitting. The instructions also state that the oil fiter bolt must be changed or machined to .175 thickness at the head. I did this, but the clearance there is not a issue.

To recount the tti exhaust is high quality, but there is very little room under the 64 barracuda.

Attachments

• 04-2012 welded x-pipe front.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 598
  • 04-2012 completed x-pipe front.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 626
  • 04-2012 mufflers.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 614
  • 03-2012 tailpipes installed.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 604
-
Back