TTI Exhaust , Pitman arm,Please Help!

-

Demon_Dan

Reaction score
Hey gang.. I'm hoping you all can help me with a problem I'm having. My 1972 Demon 318 was getting a new transmission put in and they were also going to install a fresh TTI 2.5 inch exhaust . The car had headers and I have gone back to manifolds . All the information I gave TTI was deemed correct and the exhaust "should" fit. It fits fine on the passenger side but does not fit on the driver's side . The steering linkage / pitman arm seems to hit the exhaust when you try to turn the wheel . Until this is addressed , the car is stuck at the shop , upsetting both the shop and me. TTI and the shop are in contact , but I want to see if you folks can tell by the pictures what might be doing wrong . Thanks.
HHpaZ5O.jpg

vVxJh6i.jpg

Ahh, the famous dent in the downpipe to clear the torsion bar but that doesn't impact the pitman arm. Shimming the motor mounts sounds like a good solution.

Did you give TTI the numbers off your manifolds and are they correct numbers for that car.

Common if not using new engine mounts.Shim kits are available. I had to shim mine along with new mounts. Lots of the engine mounts available from parts stores come from India and are very soft causing sag. Every car is different when it comes to K frame tolerances.

Poly lock mounts work incredibly well, but are pricey. Mancini Racing sells them, as well as other outlets.

If that was`nt ceramic coated I would take a section out of the downpipe and weld it.

That downpipe doesn't look like it's ceramic coated. Regardless, cutting out a section above the where the torsion bar dent would change the geometry where the next pipe section connects.

I purchased a TTI downpipe for my passenger side manifold but purchased Treblig's 120 degree fitting for the drivers side manifold that will eliminate the need for a dent or coming close to the pitman arm in the downpipe. In about a month's time I'll take it into the exhaust shop to get installed but I'm hoping there won't be (m)any surprises!

Ahh, the famous dent in the downpipe to clear the torsion bar but that doesn't impact the pitman arm. Shimming the motor mounts sounds like a good solution.

I AGREE!
On TTI's website, they tell you to check your engine HEIGHT and how to center your motor. Look under installation instructions, under headers.
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/PDF/II-TTI340A17835.pdf

· 67-76 "A"-body applications: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-1/4”. The engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail. The difference should be 2-1/2”.

I had to shim mine.

I AGREE!
On TTI's website, they tell you to check your engine HEIGHT and how to center your motor. Look under installation instructions, under headers.
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/PDF/II-TTI340A17835.pdf

· 67-76 "A"-body applications: From the center of the crankshaft to the top of the K-frame, the correct distance is 5-1/4”. The engine is also offset towards the passenger-side. Measure from the center of the crankshaft to each frame rail. The difference should be 2-1/2”.

I had to shim mine.
Awesome information . I've passed on all of this information to the mechanic , with any luck , he'll take the heads up from the community and this thing can get done finally. I'm one exhaust pipe away from being back on the road after it sitting in the garage for 8 years.

Seriously, thank you everybody. I'm anxious to get back on the road . I'll let everyone know how it turns out .

Seriously, thank you everybody. I'm anxious to get back on the road . I'll let everyone know how it turns out .

An after thought!
If you shim the motor mounts up, you might have to shim the trans mounts down, to stay in line.
But maybe not, all depends. Have the mechanic check your trans. and motor angles.

Good info here. New mounts + shimming seems to be the thing to do. The poly mounts are less forgiving than the rubber I'm sure. I have noticed a lot of people mention shimming the mounts to gain just a little clearance. You may not need much.

Mine were 3/16''.Schumacher sells 'um.The shim package comes with 2 each of 1/16,3/16,1/8 and 1/4'' for $34 shipping included.

Hey gang, Hope folks will still check back with this post. The car is still in the shop , the instructions that TTI provided about engine height and location seem all good , the motor mounts are in fine shape and the engine is about as far back as it can go and it still seems that this exhaust pipe isnt going to fit. TTI gracefully decided to ship me a new pipe in the event that this one somehow was manufactured wrong , but im not hopeful. Attached are some more pictures , at this time im wondering if the steering linkage is just wrong. If you folks can have a look and tell me if you see anything out of place , that would be great. Thanks

vMt0if6

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

using 73-76 steering linkages might get you a little clearance.
tie rod attaches from below.
you'd have to change the pittman and idler along with the tie rod.

-
Back