tti header install

-

mjs69gts

Reaction score
if the motor is already out do i have to still install the headers as per the install sheet?:burnout:

you can lay the headers in then lower the motor in after. You may need a hand to help so you dont crush the headers with the motor though.

I'd suggest you remove the torsion bars & lay headers in the engine compartment before you drop the engine in to prevent scratching the headers. Wrap the headers first with a towel, bedspread.

I have a tube style k frame so there is lots of room why remove the torsion bars?

when i did mine i had the motor out and planned on laying them in then bringing the motor down. i got all excited and forgot to drop the headers in though...lol they went in easy though with the motor still on the hoist and nothing hooked up yet (except for the trans) no need to pull the torsion bars in my opinion. they do get get damn close tot he proportioning valve though.

I had to install just engine and headers and after all that was in hooked up the trans.
To remove them you must take off torsion bar.

Just did mine with 4 sp., had to take torsion bar off pass. side and oil filter adaptor, had to make dent for tie rod end touching and also ding in for torsion bar barely touching. On driver side, easier fit as long as you raise the car ( 16 inches from under front tires) and the engine raise a couple of inches. Engine had to be raised on both side. Put z-bar upside down then bent lower arm to the engine about 1 1/8". EVERYTHING is close so make sure to have good engine mounts and torque limiter on driver side. Had to shim mounts with 3/16" steel plates for proper location ( 5 1/4" crank cl to top of crossmember) Offset at 2 1/2" was OK. Quite a bit more work than expected but Hotrodding is what it is...

-
Back