TTi Headers,What Starter?

-

cudabob

Reaction score
I have a 65 barracuda and the headers are installed as is the 904 trans and I got a starter from Carquest for a 2000 ram supposed to be part #56027702ac and it doesnt fit.What starters are you guys using.Motor is a 410(360/4" crank)Eddy heads.I didnt have any clearance problems,headers went right on.

I pick up a starter from a Ram van(94?) in the wreckers.
Cleaned it up and works great, a lot more clearance than the stock starter.
(67 Barracuda/TTI headers)

Darryl

Sorry guys but the 63-66 cars can only dream about having that much room.I need some input from people that have a early A body with tti's and a 904 auto.Thanks.

I pick up a starter from a Ram van(94?) in the wreckers.
Cleaned it up and works great, a lot more clearance than the stock starter.
(67 Barracuda/TTI headers)

Darryl

Not close enough I guess. :D

Sorry guys but the 63-66 cars can only dream about having that much room.I need some input from people that have a early A body with tti's and a 904 auto.Thanks.

Oops sorry
That starter don't work?

Darryl

I'm running a 360 with a 727. TTI headers. Was told to run a powermaster starter#9543.
Fits tight, but had two problems.
1) the nose hit my B & M flexplate- had to machine the nose down
2) the clocking screws came loose twice, second time lock tite seems to be holding

Check the footnotes in the TTI website and you will have your options. I recommend the McRobb unit. I have a 65/340/727/8.75

So you are saying you can't get a mini starter in there. I guess your options are nill then.

This Powermaster starter has a clockable nose piece on it so you can rotate it as necessary for clearance. Kinda pricey at $305 though.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pwm-9523

pwm-9523_w_ml.jpg

I could only use the robmmc starter and had to grind that to fit. I'll have to dig up the pix. There is no way a stock starter fits in an early a with Tti headers

I could only use the robmmc starter and had to grind that to fit. I'll have to dig up the pix. There is no way a stock starter fits in an early a with Tti headers
Do you have a 904 trans or a 727?

Check the footnotes in the TTI website and you will have your options. I recommend the McRobb unit. I have a 65/340/727/8.75
The footnotes say that a factory starter will fit on a 904 combo,but the one that I bought wont fit.It was one of the ones listed.

Grinding on a $300 starter sounds bad, but you will get over it, I did.

The case hits the block. I ground the block.

I'll dig up pix

Early A's with TTI headers are a challenge. None of the factory starters will work including the 90's and magnum starters. The later model starters will fit with Doug's headers.

The McRob starter has the best record for reliability with the TTIs but it is a little expensive up front. The good news is that it is rebuildable and they sell parts for it so when it does need work, it is serviceable.

Lots of misinformation out there that I had to sort through when I was building mine. I am running the Mopar mini starter on my 1965 Barracuda with small block, 904 and TTI headers. It fits fine with plenty of room. You only need a clockable starter with a manual trans. Be careful on the clockable minis. Some don't support the shaft and can bend if the engine kicks back at all. I'll have the car up on a rack later today and will take some photos to post.

I just picked up headers from TTI for my big block A Body and the caution I am giving is that the footnotes are not 100 % accurate. There were notes that were carry overs from past designs according to the guy I spoke with. As far as the grinding is concerned that is specific to certain blocks from my reading. I had no problems with a mini starter and some cheap black headers from summit on my small block 74. Good luck.

-
Back