Tuff Wheel - opinions/info wanted

-

rmchrgr

Skate And Destroy
Reaction score
Anyone buy one of the repro Tuff Wheels? There's a few different ones out there - Flaming River, Grant etc. I see them on Ebay with horn button for less than two bills but I don't know how good these are. How much did you pay? Did it come with the horn button/switch?

Replacing the turn signal switch on my Dart this week (hopefully if the part ever gets here). While I have the top of the column all apart, I might as switch out my old, cracked wood rim Tuff Wheel for a black one.

Thanks,

- Greg

I purchased mine from Megaparts at the Mopar Nats for $250. Aside of the grip being hard rather than soft, it was a dead ringer from my original. The horn switch that came with it had a larger spade than original. Although hidden I didn't want to butcher my wiring so I used my original. The horn button that came with it was all black and didn't fit as snug. I used my original as well. Here's a pic....

73 340 Dart Sport 012_640x480.jpg

I have the Grant wood wheel on my car. You will need an adapter kit that comes with every thing you will need to hook it up. I think you can even use the stock horn parts in it. You may allso want to get an extention. I did not use it though. This wheel does not have as much dish as a stock one.

DartInterior.jpg

Thanks for the replies fellas, the Grant one looks alright for under a $100.

My car came with a Tuff Wheel from the factory but it's wood rimmed, not the black grip. And unless I'm mistaken, I have the extension can thing already in place, I would basically just need the wheel and horn button.

My current wheel is beat too, not easy to drive with since there's a large crack at 12 o'clock.

Thanks for the replies fellas, the Grant one looks alright for under a $100.

My car came with a Tuff Wheel from the factory but it's wood rimmed, not the black grip. And unless I'm mistaken, I have the extension can thing already in place, I would basically just need the wheel and horn button.

My current wheel is beat too, not easy to drive with since there's a large crack at 12 o'clock.

the horn button comes with the grant wheel so you are good to go there.

you have a wood wheel in your car? sure thats a tuff wheel? and not a rim blow? a rim blow even if cracked and bring in a few $$$.

I Installed One On These Grants With Both Centers And Installation Kit , Works Real Nice And The Horn Works Alot Better Then The Grants In The Past. I Had Taken A Tuff Off .

Im000373.jpg

the horn button comes with the grant wheel so you are good to go there.

you have a wood wheel in your car? sure thats a tuff wheel? and not a rim blow? a rim blow even if cracked and bring in a few $$$.

Nope not a rim blow. Has the three allen bolts to hold the horn button on. Spokes are the same as the regular Tuff Wheel, just has a wood grain grip.

like to see a picture of that.

Well, I'm a dumb ***. I have a rim blow wheel. Never crossed my mind to check, had yet to use the horn. I just went out to the car and used it for the first time. Sounds lovely.

Frankly, I wasn't as familiar with what they were as I thought I was. I thought they were different for some reason.

Learn something new every day.

wheel.jpg

lol.. yup thats a rim blow. i know a lot of 71 darts came with them. thats why i asked. my car had one originally and i sold it in the 90's dirt cheap not knowing what it really was. last one i had i got for $15 from the junk yard and sold it for almost $600. i took one out of the parts car i have and haven't decided if i want to sell it or hang onto it.

your good though. just pull the horn button then the three nuts and the tuff wheel will bolt right on.

FYI, those allen bolts arent real! Someone at one time thought mine were and rounded off the corners!!

ebay that wheel. You;ll crap at what some E body guy will pay for it.

What is the diameter of the wheels all of you are talking about and might as well ask about the dish depth. There is an after market POS in the Demon I have and it is 13" in dia and needs a gorilla to turn it. And I am not small. My Dart with the Hemi in it turns and steers a hell of a lot easier.

here is the info on the grant repop. 15" dia.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...art=GRT-846&N=700+4294891653+115&autoview=sku

Brand: Grant Products
Product Line: Grant Classic Nostalgia Steering Wheels
Part Type: Steering Wheels
Part Number: GRT-846
Grip Material: Foam
Grip Color: Black
Spoke Material: Steel
Spoke Color: Nickel plated
Spoke Quantity: 3
Diameter (in): 15.000 in.
Dish (in): 1.750 in.
Horn Button Included: Yes
Installation Kit Required: Yes
Installation Kit Included: No
Quantity: Sold individually.

they also have a wood grain one.

Just bought a repro Tuff Wheel from Dale's Cuda Shop Ebay Store. I sprung for the repro, I wasn't feeling the Grant one, the way the foam grip comes up the spokes turned me off. No offense to AbodyJoe or anyone else using one of those wheels, just wasn't for me.

Price wasn't too steep - $179 with a horn button. Actually that's the cheapest I could find for an 'accurate' repro. They're over $365 through Year One which is ridiculous.

I always liked Tuff Wheels, never had a car with one. I'm stoked!

And to anyone who's thinking along these lines, I'm going to hold on to the rim blow wheel for now.

Just bought a repro Tuff Wheel from Dale's Cuda Shop Ebay Store. I sprung for the repro, I wasn't feeling the Grant one, the way the foam grip comes up the spokes turned me off. No offense to AbodyJoe or anyone else using one of those wheels, just wasn't for me.

Price wasn't too steep - $179 with a horn button. Actually that's the cheapest I could find for an 'accurate' repro. They're over $365 through Year One which is ridiculous.

I always liked Tuff Wheels, never had a car with one. I'm stoked!

And to anyone who's thinking along these lines, I'm going to hold on to the rim blow wheel for now.

I can take a look at them, what is Dale's ebay handle?

and this is the ugly thing mancini tried to sell me to mount it. glad i had the rimblow adapter at home for it.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...1&part=GRT-4000&N=700+400103+115&autoview=sku

Doesn't look too bad. That's likely what I'll end up with when I order mine. The factory adapter looks like it'll space the wheel further out towards the driver than what I'd like.

Edit: Looks like I was looking at the ebody adapter, fits about right with the a-body one.

Fixing my my column and I decided to go with the Grant 860 wheel. I'm trying to find one of the tuff/rimblow adapters for it now. Anyone know where to find one? Also, if anyone knows, does the 860 wheel come drilled for the adapter or will I have to do that?

i ve got a nos rim blow wheel and horn pad i ve pick alot of nos parts years ago when you come get it right i pay 50.00 for my wheel and pad from a old plymouth dealer ship that had a gold mind nos duster quarter 70 71 75.00 and a nos sharktooth for 75.00 but them deals are long gone the dealer was warner motor company in crossville tenn but a person can still find some good stuff if he stilll takes time and look mike

Fixing my my column and I decided to go with the Grant 860 wheel. I'm trying to find one of the tuff/rimblow adapters for it now. Anyone know where to find one? Also, if anyone knows, does the 860 wheel come drilled for the adapter or will I have to do that?

Would you be talking about one of these??

hub.jpg

-
Back