tuff wheel

-

caw440

Reaction score
This may have been covered before, but does anyone know whats involved in installing a tuff steering wheel on a 69 A Body?

Pull your original wheel and diconnect your horn wire..Bolt on the Tuff whel adapter and bolt the tuff wheel to the adapter.Then screw on the horn button and plug in the horn wire.It's real easy.

Ok, so we're talking about the 2" adapter that is offered in Mancini's add? Thanks for the info.

I don't know about the Mancine adapter, but I can tell you about the A body can.

Since the Tuff wheel was never offered on 67-69 A bodies, you'll have to use the later A body can. If you try to put it on the 69 column, the adapter will hit and just look wrong.

parts001Medium.jpg

What I did was drill out the spot welds that hold the two halves of the adapter together and discard the lower piece.

column009Medium.jpg

This makes the adapter shorter but also the top half is closer to the size of the steering column, and it doesn't look as strange.

column008Medium2.jpg

Here's a pic with the leather Tuff wheel installed.

column016Medium.jpg

When it's installed in the car, it's pretty unnoticeable.

IMG_6705.jpg

great info everyone , thanks for the help and the pictures.

Hey Brian , what shifter is that in your car?

Not sure if this helps but when I was looking for tuff wheels I saw that Jegs had a mopar adapter that if I am not mistaken was made by Tuff.

I just installed a Grant tuff wheel in my 1970 dart (it's a Brazilian model, just like the 1969 American).

It's a three speed on the column and I used the wheel adaptor from Grant as well.

The install was pretty straight forward, just a couple of things to point out in my case:

The spring for the horn needed more tension to hold the horn button properly, easily fixed on install.
For some reason, I had to modify both my turning signal switch and the gearshift lever as BOTH were touching the wheel after install. Maybe I got the wrong adapter kit, but it was the correct part according to Summit. Anyways, some brute force and some bending fixed that issue.

View attachment image-801807289.jpg

Hope this helps.

-
Back