tuning help needed

-
Bobby I was just reading back through here to see what you said about the air bleed and jet sizes and realized I never thanked you for your input. Sorry. We still haven't been able to get together because he has been working alot and building a garage but as soon as we do I'll post the results.

Finally got back with Bill and worked on the Chally yesterday and made alot of progress. Found a bad plug wire, the throttle wasn't quite opening all the way, and I rechecked the timing and found it was alot slower than I initially thought. Don't know what I did wrong the first time I checked it but yesterday it was only 9 degrees initial and 19 degrees total. I looked down through the breaker plate and see somebody has welded up the slots to nearly nothing. We didn't have time to pull the dist. and grind the slots open some so I advanced it to 20 initial which is as far as it liked without kicking back on the starter. It also didn't like quite that much at idle but at least that got it up to 29 degrees total. I also rebuilt the carb and jetted it up on each end and installed the standard spring in the secondaries as it had a heavier one. It runs like an entirely different car now. On the back road where I have an approx. 1/4 mile marked off we ran it last time and it only hit 85-86 mph it ran a little over 100 yesterday. Next chance we get we'll pull the dist and grind open the slots a little to get the total timing up to 37~38 and see how it likes that.

I'm glad to see you just rebuilt the carb and checked the timing. No need to re-invent the wheel here. The parts are old-school but but not terribly mis-matched. Cam is a little too big though.Good Luck

I'm glad to see you just rebuilt the carb and checked the timing. No need to re-invent the wheel here. The parts are old-school but but not terribly mis-matched. Cam is a little too big though.Good Luck

Yeah I know it isn't the best cam for the combo but I don't think he wants to go through the work to change it since this is mostly a cruiser. It actually surprised me how good it ran after we got the other bugs worked out and I think there's some more in it yet.

That intake is same as an MP dual plane. Good piece on that car. Pro-Comp has a new ready-to-run tuneable distributor for about $90. Plenty of them on ebay, looks like a good deal if that one you have is junk. That car will run strong when the timing gets right! Good Luck

That intake is same as an MP dual plane. Good piece on that car. Pro-Comp has a new ready-to-run tuneable distributor for about $90. Plenty of them on ebay, looks like a good deal if that one you have is junk. That car will run strong when the timing gets right! Good Luck

I don't think the dist. is junk or it probably wouldn't run good at all. I've modified several so I know what to do. I just ran out of time that day. Will get back on it in a few weeks. I think your right that now all it needs is some more timing.

-
Back