Tuning my 360 la motor

-
Dash adjustable timing MSD 8680 with a MSD6AL box, 15 degrees adjustment available
I got one like that from Jacob's Electronics Ignition. it even has a dial-type rev-limiter, and an amp for the magnetic pick-up. Mine was installed IDK maybe year 2000>2002; so I would highly recommend one. But I think they are no longer in business. I would not be afraid to buy a used one either.

But I was thinking more along the lines of the cool-factor, having a freaky-looking mechanical device hanging off the shifter.

You see;
as a streeter, you will be spending a lotta time in the speed zone of 25 to 35 mph. With 3.23s and 27s, this is;
In third; 1400>1970rpm
In Second:1930>2700
In First; 2675>3750
Do you see the problem?
This the key to any car where Drag racing performance ain't a primary concern.

You need to match operational rpm with engines powerband basically around peak tq to slightly over peak hp, top 10% of the power curve. You need to be able to easily access your engines powerband at realistic road speeds (operational rpm).

My 243@50-507 108 11 to1 3.23s 26.99 tire 727 cruised around egg under the pedal no problem 30 mph in drive. Would i run that combo again nope but with a 4 spd he should try it 1st he might like it.

My point is that if I have to drive around with an egg under my gas-pedal, Ima taking something apart to fix it.
Being able to drive around like there is and egg there=its got good manners enough power to pull drive@30 mph

its not about driving style
if you can tap the gas in drive @30mph its streetable
that was the point
I basically agree, a decently matched car should be able to or like mine under 40 mph you got to drive in second basically making my 727 act like a 2 speed powerglide with an OD gear but not ideal but streetable.

727 2.45/1.45/1:1 x 2.76 = 6.76/4.00/2.76, powerglide+od 1.76/1:1/.69 x 3.91 = 6.88/3.91/2.70

Last edited:
I got one like that from Jacob's Electronics Ignition. it even has a dial-type rev-limiter, and an amp for the magnetic pick-up. Mine was installed IDK maybe year 2000>2002; so I would highly recommend one. But I think they are no longer in business. I would not be afraid to buy a used one either.

But I was thinking more along the lines of the cool-factor, having a freaky-looking mechanical device hanging off the shifter.

I *think* that Jacobs sold out to someone in Australia or something.

I *think* it’s ICE ignition but it’s been years since I looked into that system.

oH boy; that 292/.508 cam is a handful on the street. Mine was on a 108Lsa.I ran it in my 367 for a few months then chit-canned it.
the problem was that I saddled it with 3.55s, and was adamant not to run it with anything else.
It ran like a scalded dog with an A833 and 4.30s. but with 3.55s and a 2.66 low-gear in the manual trans, she was a one-gear deal finishing at 53mph=6200, and on the shift, the Rs dropped to 3800, Second gear finished at 65=5500 good numbers but all my performance-driving was at 40 mph or under, so that poor engine ran a lot of miles at 32=3750 in First gear..... And with 3.55s, 65=2900. I thought I could learn to drive 55(2500), but criminy that is slow.
----------------------
So then:
Which Lsa are you running?
What is the intended purpose?
Which trans? and
if an auto, what stall ?
What rear gears?
What heads?
What Induction?.
Headers installed?
and most of all;
What is your cranking cylinder pressure.
-------------------------
For a dynomite combo, all of those have to be holding hands and pulling together, and the tune will vary quite a bit from one spectrum to another.
I know what tune I ran, but it is highly unlikely that my tune will work in your combo, unless you also are running alloy [email protected], and a high stall/or clutch.
and besides all that;
Wikipedia says that Bluff City is at ~4324 ft elevation, so that's gonna be a bit of a problem
The elevation for Piney Flats is 1500 to 1600 feet but humidity does run high sometimes.

I *think* that Jacobs sold out to someone in Australia or something.

I *think* it’s ICE ignition but it’s been years since I looked into that system.
Rat Bastid I run an Ice Ignition system on my 410 in Australia .It was very pricey but is a fabulous system with rev limmit and advance curves by the touch 0f a button and is a 8 amp system. I run 20 degrees at idle with 14 degrees advance for 34 total. We can have total advance to come in at 2500 or 3500 revs.The control box is mounted on my console for quick changes.

That 292 , 510 mopar cam I have used it twice. In the late seventies I had a 340 six pack and loved that cam as it would idle nice at 600 rpm and if you were doing 1500 rpm in second gear and flattened it , it would pull away nice and when the secondary carbs kicked in it would fly. I liked it so much I ordered it for my 410 but hated it as it did not smooth out until about 2000 rpm. I later found out my original cam that I liked was on a 114 ICL but the later one was on a 108 ICL. I took it out and put a hughes roller cam kit in it and never looked back but now I have a custom grind from Howards 237/243 with 610 lift on a 112 ICL and I love it.

Rat Bastid I run an Ice Ignition system on my 410 in Australia .It was very pricey but is a fabulous system with rev limmit and advance curves by the touch 0f a button and is a 8 amp system. I run 20 degrees at idle with 14 degrees advance for 34 total. We can have total advance to come in at 2500 or 3500 revs.The control box is mounted on my console for quick changes.

Is that where Jacobs Ignition went to??

-
Back