Tunnel ram 440

-
I know you said you didn't want to remove the heads but couldn't you replace the stock heads with a set of 915 or 516 heads and up the C.R. These heads are plentyful and cheap; along with a thin head gasket you could up your C.R. 1 1/2 points. Just a thought. Have you checked with Hughes Engines? They make cams with less duration but with more lift than other cam makers.

Yes it's at 50

Damn, the advertise dur. must be around 310 on that sucker, It sounds like one of those SS cams, crower was good about building those, it'll be too much i think, but i don't no anything about them, i'm sure it'll bleed off alot a cyl. pressure, that wouldn't be good.

I know you said you didn't want to remove the heads but couldn't you replace the stock heads with a set of 915 or 516 heads and up the C.R. These heads are plentyful and cheap; along with a thin head gasket you could up your C.R. 1 1/2 points. Just a thought. Have you checked with Hughes Engines? They make cams with less duration but with more lift than other cam makers.

The prob with that is, the later 440 pistons sat way down in the hole, installing closed chambered heads IMO wouldn't do a hole lot, the quench will still not be good, installing a piston closer to 0 deck & the open chambers would work better. The engine is still going to run very well in that A body with what he has, so he should be fine. Oh & in "reality", there is no way it'll jump the comp. up 1.5 points, maybe .5 point with the pistons .200" below deck.

Sorry it's actually says seat to seat

Well then its a VERY small cam, almost stock so that explains it, the Dur. @50 on that cam i'll bet is around 205-210 with an adv. of 250, it'll be dead at 4500 :lol:

So a cam change is in order then right?MOPAR 32915 V8 Hyd Seat-To-Seat 0.423 0.444 17.0 53.0 63.0 11.0 0.0 250.0 254.0 Chrysler V8 1958-1979 350 361 383 400 413 426 440 B Street BAJA BEAST / Exhibits broad stump pulling power and torque. Good for stock replacement. RPM Power Range: 1200 to 3800 Redline: 5200 plus. Crower Cams 31915 HydV8 www.crower.com 10/20/00 that's what crower says.

I actualy like the sound of those Hughes whiplash cams and I think the have one designed for a low compression motor

Sorry I wasn't thinking about the pistons he was using. I was talking about older 440. Don't know what I was thinking.

In 67' Mopar came out with the one year only 915 closed chamber head. An old racer trick was to install the 915's on there stock 68-70 440's of course this was before they had all these Hi-Po aftermarket part. It would up their CR a point. Read this in an OLD Mopar mag,so I figured with the thin head gasket it would be close to 1 1/2.

I think the Hughes Whiplash cams are for Magnum engines that are converted over to carbaration.

No the actually have a 440 whiplash muscle car cam that's made for low comp engines I just looked at there site, anyone ever use one? Or maybe a comp cams thumper cam?

I'd like to have a nice choppy idle too but still be good with my compression the Hughes muscle car cam says it built for low compression what do u think of those?

Prostreet, do u have any pics of your ride? That looks sweet nice yellow

So think I've pretty much decided on the xe274h comp cams grind, I looked in to the whole kit with timing set, springs and retainers, and cam and lifters it's gonna run about 500$ a bit more than I'd like to spend, I figured I'd buy the cam and lifter set cuz I know right lifters are a must. Can anyone tell me what springs would work without havin to mess with machining the head? And will the stock locks and retainers work on the aftermarket spring? Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it!!

So think I've pretty much decided on the xe274h comp cams grind, I looked in to the whole kit with timing set, springs and retainers, and cam and lifters it's gonna run about 500$ a bit more than I'd like to spend, I figured I'd buy the cam and lifter set cuz I know right lifters are a must. Can anyone tell me what springs would work without havin to mess with machining the head? And will the stock locks and retainers work on the aftermarket spring? Thanks for all the help so far guys I really appreciate it!!

Whats the rating on the springs you have now? Is there a NEED to change?

I havnt been able to buy or rent a spring compression tester so I'm not sure, it did have that crower cam in it so they could be upgraded too but I'm not sure, I'd like to just throw the cam and lifter set in it and see how it does but at the same time I'm trying not to cut too much corners.

Sorry i've been away, computer took a dump, It never fails once you start changing things around like cams & ****, Its never cheap IF you want it right. The XE274H Kit is 441.99, that might be your best bet in the long run.

Is Riverbank near Sacramento? I'm over in Florin quite a bit for work.

Yeah I figured the kit would be the best idea just seeing if it's been done cheaper, im gonna order the cam next week to make sure i have chose the cam that would work best with what i have. I keep looking at the hughes website too at those whiplash cams too having so many options is driving me crazy, i have cashafts and springs on my head 24/7 .riverbank is about a hour away south from Sacramento right next to Modesto.

229 @ 50 AND A TIGHT LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE.(107)LSA
I THINK THE EXHAUST DURATION IS A LITTLE HIGH, BUT IT WILL RUN GOOD.
I WAS THINKING OF USING A CUSTOM GRIND IN MY 400CI LOW COMPRESSION ENGINE /// 231 @ 50 BUT GROUND ON A 106 LSA .520 LIFT
SINGLE PATTERN IN A SOLID FLAT TAPPET GRIND.

FOR AN OFF THE SELF HYDRAULIC CAM ,THE WHIP LASH SOUNDS LIKE FUN.
I WOULD INSTALL NEW SINGLE HP VALVE SPRINGS WITH A DAMPER FOR SURE.
IF YOU RUN IT-- LET US KNOW THE RESULTS :headbang::headbang:

Return to Parts List
Category : Big Block 383-361-400 (Low Deck) : Camshaft : Whiplash Muscle Car Cams
thumbnail.php
HUG HMC2942BL-7

383/400 MUSCLE GRIND CAMSHAFT
WHIPLASH SERIES FLAT TAPPET HYDRAULIC CAMSHAFT
$215.00

Whiplash.jpg

Whiplash Series Flat Tappet Hydraulic Camshaft Drop in Muscle Car Cams. Want that mean 60's & 70's muscle car lope without doing a complete rebuild? You need one of our muscle car cam.
No machine work, leave the heads on, raises cylinder pressure. Ground on true .904" cam lobes. This gives you max area under the curve. Has low lift to clear guides.
SHAKE, RATTLE & RUN!!!!

You can feel your car transforming!!!

HughesExclusive.jpg

These HMC cams have bad-to-the-bone idle, very quick stop light to stoplight acceleration! Idles like a funny car but smooths out above 1600-1800 RPM.
These cams are designed to drive better than the sound would imply. These are killer cruising cams made for low compression (8:1-8.75:1) engines and are designed so the cylinder pressure will not be reduced (Torque Killer!) like other cams of this size or type.

Camshaft Technical Details
Intake Valve Lift 1.5
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .518"
.518"
x.gif
Intake Valve Lift 1.6
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6 .552"
.552"
x.gif
Intake Duration at .050"
Exhaust Duration at .050" 229°
242°
x.gif
Lobe Separation Angle 107º
x.gif
Intake Opening at .050"
Exhaust Opening at .050" 10.5° BTC
51° BBC
x.gif
Intake Closing at .050"
Exhaust Closing at .050" 38.5° ABC
11° ATC
x.gif
Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI
x.gif
Sweet Spot RPM 1800-5200

That crower baja beast cam duration specs at @50 are. 200 in. 207ex. 423 in. Lift and 444 ex. Lift @ 50. It's on a 112 lsa. I'm not gonna be running it in my engine but a buddy of mine has a stock 76 440 with low compression and wants the cam, is it any better than what it came with stock? The cams in brand new shape it's not equal to a magnum cam is it??

That crower baja beast cam duration specs at @50 are. 200 in. 207ex. 423 in. Lift and 444 ex. Lift @ 50. It's on a 112 lsa. I'm not gonna be running it in my engine but a buddy of mine has a stock 76 440 with low compression and wants the cam, is it any better than what it came with stock? The cams in brand new shape it's not equal to a magnum cam is it??

Its alittle better then stock but not by much, its more or less a towing cam, stock cams are useally on a 114, they spread the power (torgue curve) throughout its RPM range but come in much earlier, this gives good vacuum & smooth idle, & better gas mileage, they work nice when RPM is limited & gear ratios are higher.

Ok so I got the tunnel ram going but I ended up getting another engine. 440. With trw flat tops. Compression is around 9.5 to 1. Crane 68051 camshaft that's on a 106 lobe sep. 3000k stall, 4.10 gears, 727 auto. Timing is set at 20 btdc. Now I'm having problems with the carb tuning it will load up at idle and die when put in gear. And likes to backfire through the carbs. Now I just rebuilt the carbs with off the shelf Holley trick kits and I'm thinking the power valves are too big and are probally blown out now. What's an ideal power valve size for the two carbs for a cam with alot of duration and low vacum? Does any one have a combo that worked for them with the two Holley 600 vac sec carbs? Thanx in advance!

-
Back