Tunnel ram 440

-

Ajp440

Reaction score
Ok I just scored a sweet deal on eBay I bought a tunnel ram complete with 2 Holley vacume secondary carbs for 325$. Any way I have a 77 440 engine that's rebuilt to stock specs still low comp and bored 20 over. The engines in perfect shape so I don't really want to replace the slugs. I'd like to run the tunnel ram but don't want to be making a mistake by throwing on a motor that can't back it up. I'm considering running the mp 509 cam in it but like to see if yu all can direct me in the right direction for a cam that will be good for low compression and the tunnel ram. What gears and size stall would be best too? Thanks in advance for your help and sorry if my question is a dumb one. :burnout:

You have to match this together. What does MP recommend for gearing and stall with that cam? Also Stock compression is what like 8 to 1? May want to factor in tire size in the rear as well.

Ya it's rated at 8.1, I used the steel shim gaskets too I'm sure it didn't bump it up that much but I figured it would help a tad, I'm sure I'm not the first to try a tunnel on a low comp 440. And I've heard good power from a 509, looks like we have similar manifolds.

Ya it's rated at 8.1, I used the steel shim gaskets too I'm sure it didn't bump it up that much but I figured it would help a tad, I'm sure I'm not the first to try a tunnel on a low comp 440. And I've heard good power from a 509, looks like we have similar manifolds.

Yep the Weiand D port. There are some guys on here alot smarter then me. And Im sure your not the first to put one on a low comp either. I was told when I did mine you dont want a ton of duration. Im not sure the specs on the .509 cam

Nice. Yeah less duration but more lift hmm. Ya I'd like to keep it low compression since it's a fresh rebuild and mainly do bolt ons and camshaft. And the tunnel ran just looks bad *** but I want to be able to back it up too lol.

sounds like a bad combo to me. that cam needs a lot of compression. a short duration camshaft that would provide more manifold vacuumn would help with the tunnel ram. Tunnel rams arent really designed for low compression motors though.

sounds like a bad combo to me. that cam needs a lot of compression. a short duration camshaft that would provide more manifold vacuumn would help with the tunnel ram. Tunnel rams arent really designed for low compression motors though.

That was kinda my feeling. Would it work sure but how well would it run.

Yeah I've seen some threads on smogger 440s and saw most ran a 509 or solid 528 mp cam, but I guess that's why I'm asking for input on it and what type of cam would work with my low compression. I have a eddy tm7 I bought a while back too but would rather use the tunnel ram set up. I'm pretty sure I'm going to need a custom cam grind to compliment the low compression.

you could mill the heads a bunch to get the comp up.... also improve combustion chamber shape and size...

just would need new push rods and to have the tunnel ram milled to match for intake port alignment

My best suggestion is find a different intake or change the pistons to flattops. I cant honestly reccomend a cam to work with a mismatch intake and bottom end,sorry to have such a dim view. Maybe a builder on here will have an idea. My reasoning is that the vacuum signal at the carb bases will be so low that throttle responce will suffer.

I think so, anyone have any suggestions? Thanx for all the help guys

I found this thread alittle late, I've run the Weiand D Ram on low compression 440s, they work really well to a curtain degree, you really need to stay with a mild cam either way, nothing much more then an RV, The true compression on those later 440s was only around 7.8, there basically blower motors, 1 of mine too was a 77, it was in a D-100, i ran the summit cam & tried every carb combo amaginable, even a TQ, but the one i liked the most was the Weiand TR with 2 600 holleys, If you want the "WOW" factor then go this route, & stay away from any larger cam profile that kills vacuum, you'll regret it big time. Milling the heads is a big PITA & not really worth it on these engines, because you run into valve train geometry problems, & you still have very bad quench, you need to take off a good .080" to really notice any affect, then thinks become a major problem trust me, just keep it simple, run it with the steel shim gaskets & leave the heads be, drop in some headers, good ignition, adj. distributor so you can set up your timing curve for best perf. If you decide on just a single intake, I'd stay with the Performer & a 750 3310 holley, But i do like the wow factor of the TR.

Wich one of the two summit cams did you run with that setup? I have the steel shim gaskets In the motor already torqued down with arp head bolts, the heads are like new due to a valvjob/ cleaning and checking at the machine shop. The motors all rebuilt and bored 20 over so I know it's in good shape there, I already have the shumacher headers too. The engines just about ready to drop in bur since the engine is still on the stand a cam change now would be alot easier than in my car. It's goin in my 70 duster. I know the low compression 440 isn't much of a performance mill rebuilt to stock specs mainly more for torque and pulling power, but they sure go nice in A bodys. I might take it to the track when I'm done just to see what it can do but it will be more of weekend car more than a track car. I am going for the wow factor those tunnel rams just scream hot rod and the price I paid for it was about the same as I was gonna spend on a 750 or 800 Holley anyway so why not right?

Wich one of the two summit cams did you run with that setup? I have the steel shim gaskets In the motor already torqued down with arp head bolts, the heads are like new due to a valvjob/ cleaning and checking at the machine shop. The motors all rebuilt and bored 20 over so I know it's in good shape there, I already have the shumacher headers too. The engines just about ready to drop in bur since the engine is still on the stand a cam change now would be alot easier than in my car. It's goin in my 70 duster. I know the low compression 440 isn't much of a performance mill rebuilt to stock specs mainly more for torque and pulling power, but they sure go nice in A bodys. I might take it to the track when I'm done just to see what it can do but it will be more of weekend car more than a track car. I am going for the wow factor those tunnel rams just scream hot rod and the price I paid for it was about the same as I was gonna spend on a 750 or 800 Holley anyway so why not right?

Exactly, now i will say this, WOT will not be that impressive with the 600s, 1/2 throttle & it'll be a monster, I ran this set-up on a 451 lowdeck with FTs & ported 906s in my duster, milder solid cam & it loved it up top, but on my mild low compression 77 440 (which was .030") it didn't like all that CFM at WOT, but it was in a 3800 truck with a mild converter & 3.55 gears, so it might be much different in a light A body & 3.91s/4.10s & 3500 stall, A pair of 450/500 cfm carbs i'm sure would work better, but you already have these carbs so go with them, in the future you can look around & buy a couple nice 500 cfm carters for cheap, I really like the torque that the D-shape Weiand produces, they are by far the "best" street TR ever, just make sure you get a good ignition & dist. so you can play with the timing "curve", this alone will make a world of difference, especially on low compression engines, I "think" i ran the larger of the 2 summit cams, it was .488, but it is still mild, you really won't hear it unless you lower the idle, at 900 RPM its tame, because its on a 114 LSA, there are better cams out there, but the summits are cheap, plus there on a "lazy" profile so they don't tear up the valvetrain, another cam that might do good would be the Comp XE268H, its on a 110, it should produce alittle more HP/TQ & still be mild, you "might" just might be able to get by with the XE274H, but thats the limit, you'll hear this cam, If you run more gear like 4.10s & a 3600 9.5" stall, i'm sure it'll kick ***, we ran this cam in a dished piston/stock headed 360 & it ran VG, just stay away from the .509, IMO that'll be going backwards in your build.

Sounds like you've have had some good experience with the tunnel ram now with thy last cam would the stock valve springs, rocker, pushrods should all work right? It's been driving me crazy for the last couple months on what to do running it with the cam it has or swapping it out before it goes in so I appreciate all the help guys, I'm actually going to go take a look t a Dana 60 on Friday with 410 gears and posi that's a 5 lug so Iight pick it up he only wants 200$ for it.

Sounds like you've have had some good experience with the tunnel ram now with thy last cam would the stock valve springs, rocker, pushrods should all work right? It's been driving me crazy for the last couple months on what to do running it with the cam it has or swapping it out before it goes in so I appreciate all the help guys, I'm actually going to go take a look t a Dana 60 on Friday with 410 gears and posi that's a 5 lug so Iight pick it up he only wants 200$ for it.

Always install a fresh set of springs that are the right pressures for the cam you select, never run stock old springs on anything other then the stock old worn out cam lol. You won't need much spring pressure to run those 2 cams i mentioned, even with the larger summit piece, Comp will tell you what springs to use with there cams. You should be fine with the stock rockers/pushrods, But keep in mind they are old, if anything, replace the pushrods with a heavier set, crane/comp sell some.

Always install a fresh set of springs that are the right pressures for the cam you select, never run stock old springs on anything other then the stock old worn out cam lol. You won't need much spring pressure to run those 2 cams i mentioned, even with the larger summit piece, Comp will tell you what springs to use with there cams. You should be fine with the stock rockers/pushrods, But keep in mind they are old, if anything, replace the pushrods with a heavier set, crane/comp sell some.

I was hoping you would chime in here. You were a big help in me getting my set up closer to done. This guy knows tunnel rams. I would pay attention to what he has to say.

Oh yeah I'm listening and listening well. The springs reatainers and pushrods are all new just stock spec,so I'm guessing they be ok on the mild cams, I'll have to double check though

-
Back