Tunnel ram cam?!

-
So I'm ready to make my dart a little wilder than it is! Currently it's just a 360, with H116CP pistons, (scr is at 9.4:1 with standard felpro head gaskets),
CompCams 268AH-10, untouched small valve 587 heads, 340HP manifolds, Eddy LD340 intake and a 750cfm Street Demon. The car is backed by a 2.66 first gear A833 4spd with a 3.55 in the back and a 26" tire.

Current plans are to keep the short block, change the cam, put on some hogged out big valve Jheads, Offenhauser dual quad tunnel ram, some big gnarly Hedman Husler fender-well headers, and a 3.91SG I just picked up for it.

I've already got the headers, and tunnel ram. The heads are at the machine shop being gone through. Shortblock has around 10k miles, so it's still basically fresh. I've got a fresh 4spd ready for it! And all this stuff is set in stone.

My two questions are cam and carbs. Carbs I'm thinking a pair of 390s or 450s. Im not sure on where to start really. I want the car to remain a weekend brawler with occasional trips to the strip. However, I'd like to run low 12.0s or better.

Suggestions for what cam specs I need?

-Yes, I know I should call Racer Brown--WHY?
-Yes, a custom cam is better than an off the shelf--SPEC'D right--YES
-No, I don't care about you hating CompCams--Me either
-No, I don't care about how much you love Hughes--Me either
-No, I don't care about cold starts with a tunnelram--Not an issue with proper carbs--a TR is not a CR
-No, I don't need a mathematical breakdown of gear vs rpm vs torque multiplication vs etc..--Good
-No, I don't care about anything not regarding cam specs for this specific application--Are you sure?

Experience tells me that a TR will add about 20-25 hp in your case and about 40hp in a larger cube app and about the same in TQ. A TR doesn't care what cam you have it always works. A TR is NOT a high RPM deal at all--it would make a better truck manifold than a race manifold unless it is way TOO big or you are carb limited--think Pro-Stock here. I've made 671TQ @ 470 cubes and didn't really know what I was doing-it also peaked 700rpm too early no matter what I did. What is very interesting to me is when I've measured TR airflow through the carbs via the dyno turbine--is a 1000cfm rated 4bl on a single 4 bl manifold will pull about 890cfm at about 725 HP. Stick the TR on and 2 x 1000cfm carbs and the engine moves the same air or even slightly less while making MORE power. I've even installed 2 x 650 HP bodied carbs on the same build and lost 14HP while moving the same CFM.

A TR is not a mysterious unicorn type of thing--Long runners make mondo torque--Mondo torque that carries=more HP. I've tested more than my fair share of TR's and it always equals +20-40HP/TQ while peaking earlier than you really want. Unless your carbs aren't right they won't blow up on cold starts -they don't hesitate, they don't really act any different than a single 4bl. They do usually require a hole in the hood and more complicated when it comes to throttle linkage and fuel lines though. Expect more pedal effort as well. Happy TR'ing. J.Rob

I’m with what RAMM was saying.
Is a specific cam needed for a TR? Not that I have seen but I can imagine that a custom cam well thought out would prove maker than just a few ponies in power. I guess at this point, it really depends on how much thought and effort your wanting to out into a specific cam for this TR project.

Considering you did say that this is not a all out power build looking for 9’s or less, but just a cool looking old tyme ride for cruising, I myself would focus n the torque production aspect of the build and forget that a TR is up top and continue on with the thought of the intake just being a long runner single plane.

The suggest a few phone calls and see what comes up in suggestions for a cam from the grinders.

These lay in wait for me. Mad house power is the goal.
A standard port to be modded for the W5 & a W2 with a pair of (LOL) TQ’s up top. (Who knows, maybe I’ll try it for kicks and giggles.)

BEAED85A-3A98-4A74-B5A1-F3F01227A51E.jpeg

6FDE0482-169A-4C38-87A5-394AE0802835.jpeg

The only SBM TR experience I have isxwith the Weiand.
I friend had one on his 340 in a 4 speed 71 Cuda.

If I were going to try a TR on a SBM, I’d probably look for one of these:

D7DC38DC-9AF0-47CB-B073-295C84D965E5.png

I’m with what RAMM was saying.
Is a specific cam needed for a TR? Not that I have seen but I can imagine that a custom cam well thought out would prove maker than just a few ponies in power. I guess at this point, it really depends on how much thought and effort your wanting to out into a specific cam for this TR project.

Considering you did say that this is not a all out power build looking for 9’s or less, but just a cool looking old tyme ride for cruising, I myself would focus n the torque production aspect of the build and forget that a TR is up top and continue on with the thought of the intake just being a long runner single plane.

The suggest a few phone calls and see what comes up in suggestions for a cam from the grinders.

These lay in wait for me. Mad house power is the goal.
A standard port to be modded for the W5 & a W2 with a pair of (LOL) TQ’s up top. (Who knows, maybe I’ll try it for kicks and giggles.)

View attachment 1715562425

View attachment 1715562426

You almost never see a peak HP change from a single 4 to a TR using the same cam.

What you lose is area under the curve and driveablity, the two things guys crow about the most.

I would never get tired of looking at that MP dual Thermoquad setup. Seen a similar setup off of a Cadillac once.

Totally different set up, but I am running a late 70's low compression 440 with a Hughes Whiplash 440 cam and large tube Hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers... All else is stock. I added a Weiand TR and 2 660 center squirter carbs. The car is much faster (seat of the pants measurement) than with the Torker 440 and 750 vs, does crazy burn outs at will, starts better when cold, and is a absolute blast to drive - whether across town or road trip.

20191102_160039.jpg

The "don't cares" at the bottom of the original post isn't to hurt any feelings. It's just an attempt at avoiding the same generic responses that aren't actually helpful. I know some people just don't get that.

I understand that the tunnel ram isn't optimal for daily driving. I also understand that I could go as fast or faster with a single plane and one carb. That isn't the point of this build! If I was going for ultimate speed I wouldn't be building this car like this.

I'm trying to capture the look and feel of a ridiculous '60s-'70s street racer. The tunnel ram is gonna happen and I'm keeping the 4spd. I'm just trying to get some advice to make what I have as good as it can be.
Go for it...my old early blown Hemi ran great with a single AFB!

I’ll just let Jesse argue about that with you.

Like I said in my post I ALWAYS observe a minimum of 25hp to a maximum of 40hp increase going from a single 4 to TR. Go lookup EMC 2009 --I think there was one entry out of almost 40 that had a single 4150 the other 39 were TR's and IR's--Wonder why ? J.Rob

Like I said in my post I ALWAYS observe a minimum of 25hp to a maximum of 40hp increase going from a single 4 to TR. Go lookup EMC 2009 --I think there was one entry out of almost 40 that had a single 4150 the other 39 were TR's and IR's--Wonder why ? J.Rob

Then I have to ask what intake and carb you started with and what TR intake and carbs you had.

Then I have to ask what intake and carb you started with and what TR intake and carbs you had.

Started with a 383 SV and a Holley 1050 made something like 647 hp 615 Tq--installed the Weiand TR and Holley 1050's x 2 and immediately saw 687 HP 660+tq. Saw a best of 670+Tq with that combo which @ 470.9 ci is 1.42lb/ci on Shell V-power--pretty stout by any measure. J.Rob

So I'm ready to make my dart a little wilder than it is! Currently it's just a 360, with H116CP pistons, (scr is at 9.4:1 with standard felpro head gaskets),
CompCams 268AH-10, untouched small valve 587 heads, 340HP manifolds, Eddy LD340 intake and a 750cfm Street Demon. The car is backed by a 2.66 first gear A833 4spd with a 3.55 in the back and a 26" tire.

Current plans are to keep the short block, change the cam, put on some hogged out big valve Jheads, Offenhauser dual quad tunnel ram, some big gnarly Hedman Husler fender-well headers, and a 3.91SG I just picked up for it.

I've already got the headers, and tunnel ram. The heads are at the machine shop being gone through. Shortblock has around 10k miles, so it's still basically fresh. I've got a fresh 4spd ready for it! And all this stuff is set in stone.

My two questions are cam and carbs. Carbs I'm thinking a pair of 390s or 450s. Im not sure on where to start really. I want the car to remain a weekend brawler with occasional trips to the strip. However, I'd like to run low 12.0s or better.

Suggestions for what cam specs I need?

-Yes, I know I should call Racer Brown
-Yes, a custom cam is better than an off the shelf
-No, I don't care about you hating CompCams
-No, I don't care about how much you love Hughes
-No, I don't care about cold starts with a tunnelram
-No, I don't need a mathematical breakdown of gear vs rpm vs torque multiplication vs etc..
-No, I don't care about anything not regarding cam specs for this specific application

View attachment 1715561838

View attachment 1715561839

View attachment 1715561840
That set up is begging for a mopar 292/508 purple cam! Ebay has the cam now for about 170 bucks. Cam only though. You can run crower cam saver lifters. I use this cam with 4° advanced @ the crank. It runs beautifully!! Sounds terrific also!!

-
Back