Tunnel ram, linkage and cable question.

-
Your not going to be happy at all with 2800 stall! It’s part of the reason tunnel rams got a bad reputation on the street. People run them because they look cool but don’t build a combo that runs. You need rear gear and stall to make the most of it. I’d run 4500 stall. Now before people start pissing and moaning about loose converter on the street..... I have an 8” 5500 stall in my dart and drive it everywhere! It acts normal till you flash it. It’s about efficiency! Cheap ones don’t have it. This is not the place to cut corners. Take it or leave it but I’m certain people that have done this the right way will agree.

That's what I'm talking about.

I fully agree about the TC. It's not a place I'm gonna cheep out.
I already have fitted a large external trans cooler and cooler fan. The new motor destroyed the trans in short order so it got a rebuild and just didn't have the cash for the TC.

I fully agree about the TC. It's not a place I'm gonna cheep out.
I already have fitted a large external trans cooler and cooler fan. The new motor destroyed the trans in short order so it got a rebuild and just didn't have the cash for the TC.

I wasnt trashing you just to be clear. I dig your build. Was just sharing my personal experience. Which happens to be a great tunnel ram setup that I built with the help of members here that have been there done that. I was just being blunt about it. Look forward to progress reports

I wasn't taking it that way.

My concern with a big stall is unleashing the tires. I plan on running 10.5x29x15 radials.

I dont wanna move the rear frame rails, that would cause me to cut the cage. (Edit- and bump me out of small tire class)

I will be running a 9", with 4.88 spool, SS springs an sliders.

I really dig your build, your work is top notch.
Possibly the best here.

Thanks for the help and advice.

Last edited:
I wasn't taking it that way.

My concern with a big stall is unleashing the tires. I plan on running 10.5x29x15 radials.

I dont wanna move the rear frame rails, that would cause me to cut the cage. (Edit- and bump me out of small tire class)

I will be running a 9", with 4.88 spool, SS springs an sliders.

I really dig your build, your work is top notch.
Possibly the best here.

Thanks for the help and advice.
my 73 dart that I posted a pic of the tunnelram linkage ran 10.49 in the 1/4 with super stock springs and 4.30 gears. for tires I was using the M/T ET street radial pros in 275/60/15. I think the car would of been faster with the 4.10 it had in it before, but I blew them up on the cars 4th pass down the track after getting it running.lol I had the 4.30 left over from a different car, so I used them. I didn't have a lot of money at the time, so I used a 9.5 Dynamic converter. which was the wrong one for my car, but was all I had at the time. it would flash stall around 4400.the solid roller cam I was using should of had a 5500 stall. which I latter on installed but never got to race the car before I sold it. I think the car had a lot more in it but never got the chance to find out. best of luck on your build and I look forward to more updates on it.

Yeah, mostly 1/8 mile (Street racing) :) and some 1/4 mile. There is no close track.

Went ahead on got a set of 2" spacers for the carbs. Just not happy with the look of the hat. I want that 70s vibe.

Cut the spare tire well out and removed the old tank today, tack welded the mount for the new cell.

Gotta do a bunch of super boring, pain in the *** work (A arm bushings) on the lady's driver so hopefully I can squeeze in some time on the race car this weekend.....

Put the 2" carb spacers on, WOW what a different!!

I liked it before but now I LOVE it!
20180811_103557_zpsl6ayqlsb.jpg

Got the fuel cell cage all welded up. Still got to make all the patterns for the aluminum wrap. Cut and do the bead rolling.

The cage is made from 34 peices of thin wall 1x1, most of them mitere cut. 34 pieces, eight welds on each one. 34x8=272 welds....... GOD DAM, what a pain in my ***.... I cant believe I didn't warp the hell out of it. I did super small welds and bounced around to keep it cool.

Still gotta put in some nut certs for the straps and studs for the fuel pump and filter. I'm gonna have days of work into something no one will ever even see....

20180811_171042_zpsgwcpb8hi.jpg

Fuel cell cage done!
20180814_170200_zpsquxc6cmy.jpg

Now back to tunnel ram stuff.
Started the trim ring for the tunnel ram. It's still got a long way to go but its gonna be nice. Gonna inlay the copper into the aluminum then dimple die through both, then use copper rivets on the copper inlay and aluminum rivets to hold the entire thing to the hood. Once I get the inlays done I'll figure out the radius on the corners of the aluminum. I find my stuff looks better if I just figure it out as I go. (Sometimes I can see it right away but I'm gonna let this one tell me what it looks like.)

20180814_173754_zps1dp3amvj.jpg

@younggun2.0

If you're launching at 5,500 what size tire are you running to have traction (is it a back half car?) and what RPM are you shifting at?

At 7,500 RPM I'd have push rods exiting the hood and new vents in my valve covers...

@younggun2.0

If you're launching at 5,500 what size tire are you running to have traction (is it a back half car?) and what RPM are you shifting at?

At 7,500 RPM I'd have push rods exiting the hood and new vents in my valve covers...

I load converter to 2500 it flashes at close to 6k now. Best 60’ has been 1.420. I’m running 325/50/15 et street R’s and car hooks well. I shift at 6800 and trap 129-131 at 7200. The 470 loves it and never stops pulling

20180816_170336_zpsbgqago5d.jpg

More progress on the trim ring.
Also got the new -8 hard line ran from the cell to the pressure regulator.

Yeah, ther're not cheep. You dont wanna know how much we have in different dies. dies for Duzes, dies for counter sunk bolts, dies for holes...

My pops loves the dimple dies....

Yeah, ther're not cheep. You dont wanna know how much we have in different dies. dies for Duzes, dies for counter sunk bolts, dies for holes...

My pops loves the dimple dies....
I got mine from place in Canada. I paid $279 for my kit

Dont let this fool ya, me and pops are broke as.... we just enjoy nice tools. If you saw the house we live in you would not even get out of your car from fear of the neighbors...

Dont let this fool ya, me and pops are broke as.... we just enjoy nice tools. If you saw the house we live in you would not even get out of your car from fear of the neighbors...

I hear that! I live way below my means also! I prioritize

Just took the dog out and found a 70 dollar ticket on my car, forgot to hang up the dam parking pass... cork suckers...

Trim ring almost done, gotta drill and tap some small button heads in the back to remove the oil can in the thin section.

20180817_170312_zpsehh9dfer.jpg

20180817_170609_zpslawx77a0.jpg

20180817_170839_zpsat6x534k.jpg

-
Back