Tunnelram pro/con

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I'm thinking of running a tunnelram on my 400. The carbs I have are carter 500's which I can always change. The motor will be shaved,060 bore with alum heads flow checked. My cam choices are still open. Not sure if that's all pertent. Theres no car for it yet so no gear info. my other is an Offy 360* dual quad. Any +/- on the ram is appreciated. The vehicle wont be a daily driver. Thanks in advance. Dean

U will get a lot of negative advice on the tunnel ram from folks who are guessing. Run it, when the carbs are dialed in the tunnel ram will be about equal low to midrange and have more top end. there are plenty of dyno tests to back this up. I think the 2 500 carbs are good

The tunnel ram is a much better choice than the Offy. Offys are mainly for nostalgia nowadays. T-rams work, the only drawbacks are the hole in the hood and they're more work to tune but once you get it right you're going to love the torque.

You do get a little more fuel in the oil from the huge cloud condensing after shutdown so change oil accordingly.

Pro's;

Looks cool
Well tuned, it's a powerful pedal even on a soft touch, it feels great.
Via other dualquad owners here, they call drivability excellent.

Con;
Expensive
Can be a pain to tune.
There's always someone telling you how they suck on be street and how a 4bbl. is faster.

In the end, if you want it, do it!
Your car your way!

Just remember for a street car, not to radical of a cam because you will need a reasonable amount of vacuum for the carbs to get a good idle and throttle response, and easier to tune.

He is right!

Go solid roller, 260/266-.620/.620 on a 106.

Lmao!

The only downside IMO is hood clearance. If tuned right, will make both more TQ and HP than a single 4 bbl.

smallblock with tunnel ram, made to run real nice.
So if it can be done with a lo-po sb you know its doable
2013-LeMons-Legends-Dart-Tunnel-Ram-626x426.jpg

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amSVXHHJY8"]24 Hrs Lemons Arse Freeze in car video[/ame]

Raise your hand if you think the TR even after jetting down was really fat down low in powerband on the last pull... I'd bet money it was fat, that'll kill power.

I took the torquer 2 single plane off my race car and installed an old wieand tunnel ram with a single four barrel top on it. I used the same carb and changed nothing else and gained almost 3 tenths. The engine runs better all around and seems much happier. I have to put the air cleaner on AFTER I shut the hood now, lol.

Hey Mattax was that an icecream truck that passed you at the end? Crazy race. So how 'bout cam selection I currently have an Elgin pro stock hyd E-943-P Cam Lift I.293 E.311 Valve Lift I.444 E.466 Lobes I: 107 E: 117 Duration I: 288 E: 298. I definitely want it street able. Thanks for all the help and input.

That's not me. I know most of the team and some of the help (maybe I shouldn't admit that). I'm about 3000 miles away, although did show up at Speedfest and Fling one year, and probably will again.

Key to winning (well the race part, there's other prizes too) is surviving. Its a really long endurance race. Even though the speeds are relatively low, its important conserve tires, brakes, engine; especially in the beginning. Sometimes guys (gals too) get past you because you got forced to a poor line, get slowed down jockeying for position in a mini-race away which drops your lap times, hung up behind a slower or bad driver, or you just don't have the power or speed (need both especially with lower power, keeping momentum is big). That tunnel ram is on a basically stock 318. Everything has to be junk or traded to keep the cost down. If the judges think a team has violated the spirit of the rules, the penalty can be very severe. Lemons races used to always have a demolition crane to dramaticly dispose of a team's vehicle that seemed most deserving! Now how much money would you put in a car that could end up in the crusher? That got the message across. LOL

Take a look in these threads and you'll see who to contact and a little more about the car.
Try PM as Tim's not on FABO that often.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=256802
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=259617

For help on tuning the carb(s), probably your best help will come from
http://racingfuelsystems.myfunforum.org/
although I'll warn you that there will be a learning curve, but if you have the basics of how a carb works, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the help and info. I played with the carter a bit to make my long runner slant6 work. following the guidelines helped a lot. I'm very excited, feeling like a teen again

Raise your hand if you think the TR even after jetting down was really fat down low in powerband on the last pull... I'd bet money it was fat, that'll kill power.

The jetting is only part of the equation, you need to size down the ifr`s and set up the emulsion package to suit the needs of YOUR motor in addition to a few other things.............

There are really no cons for a tunnel ram properly set up on the street. Just choose the right one. The Weiand is a good choice. Any tunnel ram with long runners. The longer the better. That helps increase bottom end performance, which is what you want in a tunnel ram, because havin two carburetors already has the top end covered. I think the old Offenhauser is another good one, although harder to find. The Edelbrock Street Tunnel Ram is excellent, but I don't know if they ever made one for a low deck motor. Just remember the longer the runners the better.

Although this is for a 440, here is what you're lookin for. See how long the runners are? The Weiand low deck piece is similar. That's what you need.

Picture proudly stolen from Ebay.

Attachments

• WEIAND.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 166
-
Back