turbo 6 bangers post here

-
Tulsa is one of my all-time favorite towns! When I was in my early 20's (1960s) I was playing a lot of music, and there was a club in Tulsa called "The Rubiat." I lived in Little Rock at the time, but I used to drive up to Tulsa on the weekends, play a gig on Saturday night, and go to the drags on Sunday. My cousin lived there, so I had a place to stay, away from home. I always had a ball when I went to Tulsa.

Yeah, too bad you don't live closer; we could use the muscle...:D
shoot i hate tulsa now ! I never go there inless i have to ! Im out in the sticks . but them lights getting closer:protest: but i still have a good shot of the stars:-D .. u cant beat that u know ? im happy u got what i was talking bout lol cuz i messed that up :tard:lol but ya maybe some day this year i could make the trip to see ya .:blob:

shoot i hate tulsa now ! I never go there inless i have to ! Im out in the sticks . but them lights getting closer:protest: but i still have a good shot of the stars:-D .. u cant beat that u know ? im happy u got what i was talking bout lol cuz i messed that up :tard:lol but ya maybe some day this year i could make the trip to see ya .:blob:

Well, that's about a a 490 mile round trip (Tulsa to Conway.) At 3.50 Gallon, let's say you have a car that gets 25 MPG, that's about $70.00 worth of gas...

I'm not worth it... LOL!

Trust mel I'm not...

Maybe Nov.??????? We should have this heap running by then...:prayer::prayer:

Well, that's about a a 490 mile round trip (Tulsa to Conway.) At 3.50 Gallon, let's say you have a car that gets 25 MPG, that's about $70.00 worth of gas...

I'm not worth it... LOL!

Trust mel I'm not...

Maybe Nov.??????? We should have this heap running by then...:prayer::prayer:
Umm idk bout u not being woth it lol .. But with that math theres no way to get there for me im getting 15 mpg lol so ya i cant take that big of a hit at one time lol so nope i cant go to see yall lol .. and yes nov it is bill i hope to have the bcuda there lol :wave:

any updates bill ?

Thanks for askin' Doc...

Freddie has been hard at work installing the two fuel lines (one for the return) from the fuel cell to the regulator, and has it finished up to the regulator. We still have to plumb it from the regulator to the carb inlets.

Probably get that finished this week. Then, it's on to the wiring.

I'm gonna let Freddie take care of that job, too; one look at the wiring on my Valiant, and you'll see why.:eek:ops:
:wack:

Attachments

• 100_3266.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 955
Here's a first look at the TOADS in heart and soul
IMG_20120322_095311.jpg

Hey, the Toad is lookin good and Bill, your Valiant is coming along also. I like the tires/wheels. Haven't been here for awhile and its making me want to work on my stuff again. Maybe a weight loss plan for the old girl...and a 904. Later
Ryan

Thanks Ryan yah me and Bill are trying to get are cars together I'm almost ready too start putting everything back together and Bill and Freddie are making me look bad!
I hope you can get the valiant to the track this year any new news on the Turbo? I really hope u and Tom get some track time this year
Thanks again for all the great info and advice
Aaron

It takes time...but just as long as you keep plugging away it comes together sooner than you think. Things start happening fast!!!
I'm on the fence, I need to make my mind up to start a new project in a lighter chassis or do some cutting on the 66'. I may just touch the 9's with the heavy Signet then go faster in a tube car. Yea, Tom need to put some new #'s down also. We are just waiting for you two to set the bar so we can go faster. Goodluck

Later
Ryan

It takes time...but just as long as you keep plugging away it comes together sooner than you think. Things start happening fast!!!
I'm on the fence, I need to make my mind up to start a new project in a lighter chassis or do some cutting on the 66'. I may just touch the 9's with the heavy Signet then go faster in a tube car. Yea, Tom need to put some new #'s down also. We are just waiting for you two to set the bar so we can go faster. Goodluck

Later
Ryan

Ryan, you have ALREADY set the bar!!! LOL!

If our bucket of bolts runs within ten MPH of your '66 we will be two HAPPY old codgers!!! :cheers:

I don't know how much your car weighs, and I don't have any idea what ours weighs, but I'd love to get her down to about 2,600 pounds (no driver.)

We have been working on that... We need to get the car to a scale soon.

I'll let you know what we find out when that happens.

The Turbo Toad starts out a significant amount lighter; and, knowing Aaron, he's not going to let that advantage slip away... (probably been on the phone to Mark... LOL!)

After we get a base-line, we plan on trying to improve our 60-foot's as much as possible. I just took delivery of some new, heavy-duty axles and we already have 7290 U-joints, so if push comes to shove, we could install a trans-brake like Steve Nitti's doing, if we have to...

Hope not; they are really hard on drivetrain parts.

Talk's cheap; we'll see!!! :happy1:

Yah Bill I was hooking everything up yesterday morning and I had wanted to clean my fuel system out I had some bad gas in the tank and when I tried starting the fuel pump it was
froze up and it was brand new so I had to order a new one today that's another 100 bucks wasted the pump I was using only had about 1 hour of usage time on it
I'm going to pull it off in the morning and try to salvage it
Aaron

Yah Bill I was hooking everything up yesterday morning and I had wanted to clean my fuel system out I had some bad gas in the tank and when I tried starting the fuel pump it was
froze up and it was brand new so I had to order a new one today that's another 100 bucks wasted the pump I was using only had about 1 hour of usage time on it
I'm going to pull it off in the morning and try to salvage it
Aaron

I had TWO Holley BLACK pumps in a row do that same thing to me on my V8 car. I think they are overheating due to the fact that I (stupidly) have not yet hooked up a return line to the fuel cell. At low volume draw, they seem to just heat up the gas... a lot!

I ordered a new Holley Blue pump, installed it, and so far, no problems...

Gonna start on the return line this week; shouldn't take very long.... I have all the parts... just gotta get in there and git-r-dun.

Sorry you're having problems. It's always something...:prayer:

Gonna start on the return line this week; shouldn't take very long.... I have all the parts... just gotta get in there and git-r-dun.

Sorry you're having problems. It's always something...:prayer:

Well, I finally have something of value to report on the turbo'd '64 Valiant that we're working on:

I FINALLY got all the fittings, fuel line, and the time to do it, and assembled and flow-tested the entire fuel system (minus the carb) today.

That includes a fuel cell, two filters (one before and one after the pump,) a Walbro 51-psi pump, and a Mallory "boost-oriented" regulator.

When I say we "flow-tested it," I mean we hooked up the fuel pickup line to a gallon jug of water, and put the return line in an empty gallon jug, and turned the pump on. We were looking for leaks at fittings, found a few, and fixed them. Now, we need to purge the entire system and get ALL of the water out, and replace it with high-octane fuel.

The only thing left, then, will be to hook up the carb to the regulator, and the fuel system plumbing is DONE!!!:cheers:

Then, we can move on to the wiring, and that may not take so long... hopefully!

I'll post some pictures of the fuel system (really, nothing to look at,) when we get the carb in place and plumbed.

That little Walbro pump is a HOSS!!!:rambo:

Sounds good Bill I can't wait to see some video and hear that beast running, yes the walbro is a nice little piece of hardware I just replaced one yesterday I'm doing some test runs without the turbo hooked up now as we speak just to clean the header out of any unwanted debris before the turbo is installed
I've plumbed in all my water line for the turbo and Intake Manifold also my oil lines for the turbo ill probably plumb in the IC piping in today or tomorrow
I'll try and post some video in the next day or two
Aaron

I'm doing some test runs without the turbo hooked up now as we speak just to clean the header out of any unwanted debris before the turbo is installed
Aaron

Aaron,

It seems to me that I saw a heavy-duty, convex, screen installe on the intak side of a compressor scroll that would prevent an sort of debris from entering the compressor impeller area.

Have yo ever seen anythoing like that? Do they MAKE such a piece?

I'd buy one, if I was sure it wouldn't impede air flow significantly, and was strong enough to protect the impeller wheel from debris. That worries me (damage from debris.)

-
Back