Turbo build

-

azdurango

Reaction score
My dad and I are building a turbo motor for his 64 valiant, we are using the buick gn turbo and a 4 speed manual. Seeing as the slant is a pretty long stroke engine would it be better to use a lightened flywheel to spool up the turbo quicker? We are probably going to be using 10-15 pounds of boost. Also, will the stock fuel line be large enough to supply the engine?

Flywheel weight doesn't significantly affect turbo spool up time. The only weight that really matters is the turbine and compressor wheel weight.

5/16" fuel line is a bit small but not necessarily a problem. However, you might want to run an electric pump and use the stock fuel line as a return, adding a 3/8" supply line.

Flywheel weight doesn't significantly affect turbo spool up time. The only weight that really matters is the turbine and compressor wheel weight.

I was under the impression that the quicker the motor revs, the quicker exhaust will exit and the turbo will spool up quicker resulting in less lag.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I really don't know much about forced induction. Thanks for your help.

Thats true. However this is a big heavy cast iron engine not a light weight aluminum high reving one. So the gains are minimal.
Frank

The long stroke of the 225 is not as much a throttle response limiter, but more of a top end rev limiter, along with head flow characteristics and cam.

The single most effective throttle response improvement IMHO was when I removed the solid fan and went to an electric fan. I'm also working on a low boost (8 lbs) turbo system for my /6 ...I started a turbo thread....yadda,yadda yadda ( a year goes by ) should be ready to install in the next couple of months. I'll revive the long dead thread once I get the rest of the pieces together, but I'm CLOSE....so close

As for learning about forced induction... try http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php WEEKS of reading over there.

I was under the impression that the quicker the motor revs, the quicker exhaust will exit and the turbo will spool up quicker resulting in less lag.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I really don't know much about forced induction. Thanks for your help.

There's a couple different things here that interact. I'm going to start by defining a few terms.

Boost threshold: The RPM where your turbo starts making boost.

Turbo lag: When you are at or above the boost threshold and abruptly stab the throttle, this is how long it takes for the turbo to spin up and make full boost.

Throttle response: An overall measure of how quickly the engine responds when you stab the throttle.

Turbo lag affects throttle response, but so do a lot of other factors. For example, poor fueling can result in a car that has very little true turbo lag, but the fuel takes longer to reach the ports than the boost. Result: A turbo that spools quickly, but a nose over bog even while the boost is coming up. A lightened flywheel would help if you tried to gas it while below the boost threshold, since the engine would benefit from help getting up to its boost threshold. So would lightening the car - or downshifting to the correct gear. A lighter flywheel would not spool it faster on a drag car if you launch it correctly. It might, however, help on a street car.

It depends on the situation. Overall, a drag car is not going to be hurt very much by turbo lag or bad throttle response, but a street car would be, and an autocross car would be killed by turbo lag.

Hey durango, have you thought about getting a 170 and turbo that? Much shorter stroke and those old motors had the forged cranks for sure and I think rods too. It's a thought I had rattling around in my head for a while, to do a turbo on one of these probably using a junkyard turbo off one of the 2.2 or 2.5 chrysler 4's. And I was thinking one of the 170's would be a better candidate than the 225. Just an idea.

-
Back