Turbo oil feed and return

-

bblock383

Reaction score
Ok im getting closer to putting this turbo setup on the slant. Turbo is on its way. However im wondering where to tap for oil feed in particular. I suppose I could tap the pan for return. I read that some people are using a sandwich adapter that goes between the oil pump and oil filter and apparently it has provisions on it that allow for sensors and the ability to tap it for a feed line. Feed will need to be pressurized right? I've heard of people tapping the oil pump itself but I don't know where on it to tap. Where are you all tapping for the feed and return?

bill will chime in here but yea

the line needs to be pressurized

you can just run the return above normal oil level

and you can tap a hole into one of the oil galleys in the passenger side of the block... near the dizzy and such...

the two round "bulges" that run to the front and rear from the oil pump and the main oil galleys

Attachments

• Wyotech SL6 (59).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 180
  • Wyotech SL6 (13).JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 196
Interesting. I would like to know more. I had no idea those bumps were there but if I did I never would have guessed oil was flowing through those. I would be very interested in seeing pics of those being tapped just to get a better picture in my head. I also had another question about the fuel pump reference mod. Once you tap it where do you tun the line to? Compressor or the intake? And this will be a rubber vacuum line then right? Si the pump needs to be tapped and a nipple installed?

Interesting. I would like to know more. I had no idea those bumps were there but if I did I never would have guessed oil was flowing through those. I would be very interested in seeing pics of those being tapped just to get a better picture in my head. I also had another question about the fuel pump reference mod. Once you tap it where do you tun the line to? Compressor or the intake? And this will be a rubber vacuum line then right? Si the pump needs to be tapped and a nipple installed?

This is a really simple operation that consists of this:

Locate the oil pressure sensor that operates your gauge or warning light.

Unscrew the sensor from the block at that location.

Procure a "T" fitting that will thread into the original hole (male pipe thread of the appropriate size), and will then, allow the original gauge or sensor to scew into one female threaded portion of the "T" (two female pipe threaded holes there.) Now get a fitting that will screw into the OTHER (third) hole of the "T" fitting (these will all be screwing into "pipe thread" fittings that have no flare, but instead are wedge-shaped threaded portions that tighten up as they are threaded in. The female portion will be machined to accept a 1/4" "flare" fitting.)
Most folks put teflon tape on the pipe threads (but, not the flare-fitting threads) to ensure that there are no leaks. Don't "over-tighten.

Now, you have your "source" of pressurized oil for the turbo.

The "T" fitting that you just screwed into the oil pressure gauge hole has pipe fittings on the outlet side that need to be changed over to a flare-type 1/4" female to engage the 1/4" brake line that will be used to deliver the pressurized oil to the already-drilled and pipe-threaded) hole on the turbo (topside, opposite the drain hole.)

Buy a section of 1/4" brake line in an appropriate length to reach from the source of oil over to the turbo bearing inlet. This is obtainable in various lengths at any auto supply store.

Get a "pipe-thread" fitting (straight or 90-degree, whatever works for your application,) and screw it into the turbo bearing inlet on top of the turbo bearing. Once it's in place, attach the 1/4" brake line to the fitting, and you're in bidness!!!

Now, you has jazz....:cheers:

Now, you can build the drain... a whole different can of worms...

Yup, T the oil pressure fitting. As said, run the line up and into the turbo inlet, either 1/4 brake or 5/16 tranny line (that is what I had laying around and it already had a fitting on it) Then run the drain back into the pan above the static oil line. Make sure the drain back is at least 1/2 inch and the angle is 45 or greater. The oil is foamy at this point and you want no restrictions going back into the pan. I used a vari-bit into the pan side, put a 1/2 tube into it and bent it up to a 45, then tacked it into place and smeared RTV around the seam. This was after I eyeballed where it would enter out the bottom of my turbo. Connect the 2 halves with a section of hose so you can remove turbo without dicking with the flange fitting on the bottom.

Yup, T the oil pressure fitting. As said, run the line up and into the turbo inlet, either 1/4 brake or 5/16 tranny line (that is what I had laying around and it already had a fitting on it) Then run the drain back into the pan above the static oil line. Make sure the drain back is at least 1/2 inch and the angle is 45 or greater. The oil is foamy at this point and you want no restrictions going back into the pan. I used a vari-bit into the pan side, put a 1/2 tube into it and bent it up to a 45, then tacked it into place and smeared RTV around the seam. This was after I eyeballed where it would enter out the bottom of my turbo. Connect the 2 halves with a section of hose so you can remove turbo without dicking with the flange fitting on the bottom.

Lots of good advice, there. Thanks!!!

When I did my Vortech supply to the fitting on it, I put a filter in the sytem. Dunno of it helped, but I don't think it hurt...

-
Back