Turbo Scamp

-
Bit the bullet and bought the Aeromotive sump system for installation into the tank. Comes with the sump (including baffle), A1000 electric fuel pump and a 100 micron filter. Here are a few pics of prep work before it goes to the fab shop for welding.

Sump 1.JPG

Sump 2.JPG

Sump 3.JPG

Sump 4.JPG

Sump 5.JPG

Sump 6.JPG

How much extra gas does it hold? Looking good, please post more car **** as I cant get enough.

Torque boxes basically help stiffen up the unibody frame. Auto Rust Technicians have what you need. Check out this article from their website.

http://www.autorust.com/m_boxi.html

This explains it much better than I can.

thanks this helps me out so much, im no longer confused lol, ill probably add them, they look pretty easy to fab up and install.

Actually, I'm not adding the sump to increase the amount of gas the tank can hold. I wanted to run an electric fuel pump to insure constant flow with the efi and turbo, but didn't want to hear the constant hum. Using a sump, I could install the pump in-tank. This muffles the sound, and has the added benefit of cooling the pump. The sump and baffles also prevents cavitation (starving the pump) during hard acceleration and turning.

More car ****...engine now in car! Still need to mount alternator, pulleys, add valve covers and a/c compressor. Then install driveshaft and it's off to the turbo shop.

P1010037.jpg

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

P1010040.jpg

P1010043.jpg

Holy cr*p Mike! The Scamp is coming along wonderfully/ Aren't you glad you stayed with it? Did Probe have a special piston for the turbo setup? What are the specs/mnfr on your cam? Keep it up and we will be seeing you at Fall Fling this year.

Yeah, I'm glad I've stuck it out so far, but I can't believe how long it takes to build a complete car! Would have been quicker and less painful to build stock, but who on this website is ever REALLY satisfied with stock? Barring any (more) unforseen issues, I still have hopes to be driving the car by the Fall.

Probe pistons are .030 over, 8.5:1 dished. I was originally thinking 8.0:1, but nobody has that stock, so I would have needed to pay for custom pistons. Probably for the best, because the turbo won't kick in until 3200 rpm, so lower compression would have been a real dog around town. Bump stick is a Comp Cams hydraulic roller grind. 114.0 degree lobe separation, with duration of 230/236 at .050 duration. The magic is all in the big-*** turbo...8)

Looks good!......really good! You mentioned around 3500 for boost to kick in? Sounds like a giant turbo if that's the case. BTW, I don't think you said anything about the trans......727?

Well, 3200 for boost. Yep, it's big--turbonetics t70. Tranny is a 727 with a Continental Torque Converters built converter with anti-balloon plates and a steel stator, good for 750hp. I don't have the turbo quite ready yet, but here's a couple of pics to whet the appetite...second pic with the Coke can gives you an idea of the size.

turbo 004.JPG

turbo 005.JPG

Don't run it without a filter......you know, sucking in birds....small animals. Those feathers out the exhaust can get a little embarrassing.

Yeah, that long-haired hippie just sent me those engine bay pics this morning. :afro:

LOL. People use to think we were brothers. To bad my hair fell out when I had kids.

I talked to him about a month ago and we were discussing the car.

LOL. When I first met Rory and the first 10 times I saw him, he was always wearing a knit hat. I just figured he was bald and was hiding it. When I finally saw him at the Spring Fling without a hat, I almost fell over to see he actually had a full head of hair!

If having kids makes you lose your hair, I'm glad I just have dogs! :bootysha:

It's been awhile, so thought I should write an update...

Ever notice that when you're talking custom work, nothing is ever simple? To get measurements for the driveshaft, I needed to get the tranny crossmember from the guy who's shop dismantled the car. His shop closed a few months ago, and instead of giving me all of my parts back, he took some with him to his father's garage where he was going to continue doing some restoration work.

Now when word got out that he was closing his shop, motorheads for miles stopped by. The owner was rarely there, and his shop manager held a grudge, so people who stopped by just helped themselves to parts they found laying around. To make a long story short, when he finally agreed to meet me so I could pick up my parts, he gave me a tranny crossmember for an e-body instead of my a-body crossmember. Not remembering the different look, I blasted it clean, primed and painted it--a work of art, and got it to the new shop. Rory took one look and told me it was the wrong crossmember. Luckily, I found the correct part here at forabodiesonly.com (Thanks, Crackedback!) and with the tranny bolted up, we got a measurement for the driveshaft.

I called Inline Driveshaft here in SoCal, and he asked what pinion yoke I had. I was hoping to get by with the stock 8 3/4" yoke, but I was told that the stock yoke would be a seriously weak link for the power I'm expecting. So instead of ordering the driveshaft, I ordered the 3150 forged pinion yoke to install first.

So just slip the old yoke out and the new one in, right? WRONG! Despite days of penetrating oil, Rory had to take the differential off to get the yoke out. Good news was that the spline count was correct, and that gear spacing in my 742 case was set with shims and not a crush sleeve.

So after all that, new measurements were taken, and I placed a driveshaft order with Inline on Monday. New driveshaft arrived today!! 3 1/2" aluminum, with spicer u-joints and 3150 slip yoke. I'll take some pics tonight and post them...

Its a constant dance of one step forward and two steps back when doing custom builds...
Nothing determination, patience and a little beer can't handle. :-D

Post pics when you get some time, I want to see the drive shaft and yolks.

Just spoke with Rory last night. He told me of the problems. Glad you guys are back on track. He really hates that wiring harness you bought though, LOL

GoFish I don't know why sometimes I miss threads like this... but you are doing a outstanding job bud!!!!!!!

Thanks, guys. I'm going up to Rory's shop on Sunday, so I'll try to take some good pics then.

As for the wiring harness, at least it's better than the Chrysler crap! ;-) He's hinting that he'd like to scrap it and start over, but I've got too much money tied up in that Ron Francis system.

Looks great, I hear nothing but good things about Shady Dell. Whats your power/performance goal? Who is doing the turbo install? Are you running an intercooler? I like the color of your car and I look forward to seeing it in person at Fall Fling.

Well, I went up to Van Nuys yesterday to Rory's garage to drop off the driveshaft, windshield and battery, and to check on progress. Took a few photos, but my wife can't find the cable to download photos from her camera to the computer, but I'll be posting those soon. Couple of notes:

1. San Fernando valley is HOT AS HELL!!! :snakeman:

2. The price of Optima batteries has gone way up. $181 for a redtop at Pep Boys. :angry7:

3. Windshield I got back from owner of shop that dismantled car (shop is now closed) was NOT the windshield they took out. No idea what car this came from. Dimensions are the same, but this one has a distinct curve up at corners and won't fit the Scamp. Add this to the parts that I now have to buy because I gave the car to a "friend" to work on at his shop. :angry7::angry7:

4. Inland Empire Driveline sent a driveshaft that had a yoke installed that was too long. They didn't take the length of the output shaft of the 727 tranny into consideration. At least they admitted it was their bad, and are even covering return shipping to fix the problem. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have the shaft back to install next weekend.

Lots has been done since I last saw the car. Battery box and cutoff have been installed in trunk. '73-'76 locking hood latch installed. Motor is starting to look good with a/c compressor installed and valve covers in place. Gauge pod is ready for cutting and installation. I still need to come up with a 2-gauge pillar pod for additional gauges that fits an a-body. Overall, it's starting to look like a car! :toothy10:

Looks great, I hear nothing but good things about Shady Dell. Whats your power/performance goal? Who is doing the turbo install? Are you running an intercooler? I like the color of your car and I look forward to seeing it in person at Fall Fling.

I'm expecting 600-625hp at 15 lbs. of boost, but will probably run on the street at only 8 lbs. Turbo work will be done by Ali Hosseinian at Machine Tune in Placentia. Ali was formerly a tech at Porsche, and has extensive experience on drifting cars. Yes, I'll be running an air-to-water intercooler. Fitting it will be the biggest challenge! I HOPE it will be ready for the Fall Fling, but I may have to wait until the Spring. Everything seems to take 3x as long as I expect...

-
Back