Turbo slant six post

-
What carb are you planning on using. The BBD or some sort of 2bbl Holley?

Matt,
:clock:
you posted this in another thread.....and I quote:
.I started a turbo thread....yadda,yadda yadda ( a year goes by ) should be ready to install in the next couple of months. I'll revive the long dead thread once I get the rest of the pieces together, but I'm CLOSE....so close

Okay, we need some progress. Surely you have painted the house by now.lol
Hope you get working on it soon. We all need a little motivation/inspiration.

Lee

Have you guys ever checked out these units from a early 80's Buick 231 V-6 turbo? It's a complete draw-thru setup with wastegate, Quadrajet with coolant heated plenum and it's pretty low too. Now for those of you who could never even think about putting a GM part under the hood of your Mopar, please disregard this post. But these units are damn cool, compact, sized just right and pretty cheap. Check this one out on Flea-bay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V6-Buick-Turbo-Charger-4-BBL-Carb-Manifold_W0QQitemZ110452865840QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b780fb30

I'd like to do a turbo slant 6 one day with one of these.....I'll just add that onto my list, along with the other 900 projects already there.

Have you guys ever checked out these units from a early 80's Buick 231 V-6 turbo? It's a complete draw-thru setup with wastegate, Quadrajet with coolant heated plenum and it's pretty low too. Now for those of you who could never even think about putting a GM part under the hood of your Mopar, please disregard this post. But these units are damn cool, compact, sized just right and pretty cheap. Check this one out on Flea-bay.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/V6-B...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19b780fb30

I'd like to do a turbo slant 6 one day with one of these.....I'll just add that onto my list, along with the other 900 projects already there.

That's what my Dad and I are using on his car. So far it is running pretty strong, but we are only boosting about 5lbs right now.

Oh boy, bringing this post back to life before I'm ready :lol:
I have been doing some little things to get ready for the install, like:
1. upgraded exhaust 2.25 with a "turbo" muffler. with an O2 bung for the wideband, (currently running narrow band.)..... I know I know, narrow band tells you jack, may not let me tune it, but it will keep me from turning the engine into a boat anchor
2. setup the boost reference mechanical pump.
3. bought the t's and fittings for the coolant lines.
4. acquired a high volume oil pump for the swap.
5. built a limited advance distributor. limited to 8* with a pretty heavy spring to start with and a loop to stop it at 8 (8* at the dizzy is 16* at the crank).
6. starting to build the J pipe and the carb hat...

hey Cudavert, I'm for sure not worried about putting GM parts on my car...pretty sure that "GM" didn't make the carb OR the turbo...kinda like saying a NP833 is a MOPAR trans, nope it's a New process trans.. :) even some GMs had them. No worse/different than putting a grant steering wheel in your ride :lol:

Keep in mind that this is a LOW budget thing for my daily driver ( one income 3 kids..... you get the idea) really just something to play with

Sounds like you are getting close.
I understand the one income family also.....very well.
Can't wait till you get her all together and boosting.
Lee

What carb are you thinking of using. I am planning on trying to mod a 2 bbl off a 77 318/360 (not sure).

Threadjack
I am thinking a carb that is around 350 cfm will be the right size. What does a holley 2 bbl off a 318 or 360 flow?
Thread jack over.

Lee

Lee,
Actually, I'll be using the holley 6280 off of a 318. It's a feedback carb but from what I've read in the manuals it will default to a full rich if the feedback circuit is not energized. It also has a plastic float that wont get crushed under boost.

There are some online resources that say that the 2280/6280 holley is 250 CFM.
The current BBD is 280 CFM. I also have a weber 32/36 that was borrowed for testing but didn't realize it was just larger on the bottom.
I'm pretty confident I can get the thing to run without destroying anything and give me a long time of tinkering (keeping me out of trouble), not to mention people asking me why there is a T6 logo on the fender :-D

Doesn't seem like 250 cfm would be enough????
I too have a weber 32/36....read they are 300-350 cfm.
Also have a Rochester "VariJetII" off a lates 70s chev six. It is suppose to be in the 350 range. (basically half of a QuadraJet)
Can you tell what cfm a carb is by measuring the butterflys?

this is gonna be sweet. i wonder how the slant will take to the boost? probably stock engine so that will be interesting. i know thats not a lotta boost but still. good build and post lots of pics lol

Well as for the CFM for the carb. I've calculated (and when I say "I"... I mean I plugged the numbers into an online calculator for CFM) that even at 100% VE at 4000 RPM the slant would need 260 CFM, so at 85% (being generous) it will need 221 CFM.
And trust me, It'll spin above 4k but has NO power up that high.
I'm more worried about the turbo, but for a first attempt and for what I paid, it will work for now.

The two pieces that I'm thinking about now are the oil return line and the oil pump.
To get the return line run into the side of the oil pan I'm going to have to drop the oil pan and weld a fitting to it, but to get the pan out to weld on it I've got to lift the engine....ugh.
The other option is to drill and tap the block just above the oil pan somewhere around the #4 or 5 cyl, but I'd still have to pull the pan so as not to get metal shavings down into the sump.
That's what is really holding me up on this....Once I cross that bridge it'll be "easy" or so I keep telling myself. :(

Well that would be right for a N/A engine. But somewhere I found a calculator for boosted engines (can't find it again:angry2:) but iirc it called for low to mid 300s for up to 10-12 lbs of boost.
I would think boosting would changed the requirements some??
Of course you are boosting for more low rpm than I am, so the 250 cfm should be good. I plan to turn at least 5K. And my turbo is significantly different than yours.

Not sure what style flange your turbo has, mine is T3. So I can swap to a different turbo if I need to after I figure out how this one does or doesn't do. LOL

On the return line, I read somewhere that the line is better to return toward the front of the pan so under acceleration the oil level doesn't get above the return.

At least mine is a pickup, so plenty of room to pull the pan.

I am planning to order a JAW wideband soon. I am cheaping out on everything else, but feel this is a necessity.

Hope you don't mind me tagging along on your thread....if so, let me know and I will start my own.

Lee

Lee, I may have to revisit the CFM thing again, and I do have a stock 1bbl manifold that's askin to be modified for a 4bbl, but again, I'm working with what I have to start with. If I want to swap stuff out later I can. I've got more time than money.
The turbo I'm using has a rectangular flange, appears to be fairly standard.

I've read that about the return line as well but the best I can hope to get is the middle (front to back ) of the pan, and that's why I was considering tapping the block. I figured if the thing sloshed oil way up there, the last thing I'd be worried about is oil backing up into the turbo.

I definitely agree that the wideband is a necessity and so far, that is going to be the single biggest expense of my project.....maybe for Christmas :lol:
(I'm santa at my house...and boy have I been good, at least that's what the list says \\:D/ )

I don't mind anyone tagging on (..unless they come along and say I'm an idiot..or crazy...'cause I already know that ... ), It's cool to see the posts back and forth on how/why things were done/chosen..

You know one of us needs to make some progress.
I pushed mine outside to help my son work on his and it has turned ino a major deal.
Anyway still reading and making plans...........
Santa is bringing me a JAW wideband kit, that will help.
Lee

Very interesting. I'm all for cheap, reliable power. Of particular interest is what you do for an airbox (bonnet?) for the carb.

Can't recall if the original Rustclangs of the late 70s were draw-through or blow-through designs. I do recall guys taking them out on the autobahn and grenading them. Seems that getting off the throttle and back on was causing an instant lean-out situation that did not agree with the ohc 4. The later ones used FI and didn't have the problem.

You shouldn't have any issues reaching your performance goals. The article in the first link you posted was my car. I did that turbo back in '93 using parts from a junked Dodge Lancer with a 2.2. The engine, transmission, converter and 2.76 rear were totally stock with 196,000 miles on them. The engine ran well, but one cylinder had half the cranking compression of the other five.

With all that in mind the car ran between 15.80's and 16.20's every time I had it out. Eventually I got a four barrel intake, a 350 Holley and an MSD BMT, but the car did not pick up any time. It ran better off boost because the timing wasn't so retarded all the time and the Holley was easier to modify the power circuit so it wasn't so rich, but the ET didn't change. I can't find any notes on the car, but I believe the boost never topped 10 PSI and I always ran it on pump gas. I sold that whole set up to the other Matt who posted here, but he had issues with it and don't think he ever ran his car at the track. Good luck and keep posting your progress.

Yep, I'm the one who bought it. Something was wrong with the four barrel by the time I got it (or maybe we'd set it up very differently), resulting in some fueling issues that I couldn't straighten out. So I went to EFI. Unfortunately the turbo was way too small for a free flowing intake like the one I'd put together; what worked OK with a one barrel Holley has issues when I tried to use it with a 65 mm throttle body. Now I'm busy putting a bigger turbo (and a trunk mounted battery, 100 amp alternator, intercooler...) on it.

The Holset turbos off turbo diesels could probably give you the same results on a stocker and allow a bit more room to grow.

Another month has passed, so here I am looking for an update. Don't worry, all I've done to mine is push it out so i could do maintenance on my daily driver.

Anyway, Santa did bring me a JAW wideband. I am wanting to upgrade my old weller soldering iron before i put the kit together.

I also got a megasquirt II kit! So now I'm thinking going efi instead of the carb. Not sure yet. I have a GM TBI off a 4.3 V6 I may try to mod for blow thru. Seems like fuel pressure is the problem but may have that figured out. Now just back to the money issues.

Lee

Alright Lee, I'm willing to take the knock for not working on this but for the holidays and work and yadda yadda yadda.....
I know....another month....but I did rebuild my 4-speed over the new years weekend...syncros, bearings, seals.........SOOOO, I am working on stuff...but not this. one might say I'm a little reluctant to explode my daily driver :lol:

-
Back