Turn Signal Help

-

1jstrong

Reaction score
Just changed the turn signal switch on my 73 Dart. Hazards now work fine, but no turn signals.

Ideas?

Jason

In the switch (if it's like mine) is a little flat piece of metal that makes the turn signal connection, check and see if it's still in place.

Did you pull the top part of the switch off by chance? Don't put the steering wheel on until you have it right, that way you don't have to keep pulling it.

Not enough info... Why go to the extent of replacing the signal switch in the steering column unless diagnosed and confirmed as the fault ?

.....................sigh.....................

Not enough info... Why go to the extent of replacing the signal switch in the steering column unless diagnosed and confirmed as the fault ?

The person I bought it from said, "you'll need to replace the turn signal switch."

He knows his stuff, so I changed it.

Knowing stuff and knowing cars are two totally different things. Knowing cars and being capable of fixing cars are two totally different things. Being capable of fixing cars right the first time without just throwing parts at the problem is the sign of someone that truly "knows his stuff.

Now besides a switch what has been done to the car? Any testing? Any blown fuses? Tested the flasher units? Measure voltage to column wiring? Download the free downloadable chrysler electrical service manual from one of many sources?

Here is the FSM (factory service manual) download:http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=132309&highlight=manual,+download

This post might give some insight into your issue: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=202656&highlight=turn+signal

The search feature is your friend. You should spend time with the search feature. I am adequate on electrical, but far from an expert. 2 of fabo's expert have already responded to your post before me and they want some more info. Whenever posted any topic supply year make and model, what has been done and why, we only have what you give us to help you with.

The person I bought it from said, "you'll need to replace the turn signal switch."

He knows his stuff, so I changed it.

He may be one of those who knows electronics in newer models. If so he would assume hazard flashers and turn signals operate on a single flasher module.
Not true in these older vehicles. Hazard and turn share only the lamps.
2 fuses and 2 flashers at play. Good luck with it.

There was a post a few months ago with photos showing a little trick in orienting the sliding contacts in the turn signal switch. If they pop out when changing the plastic cam, it is easy to re-install them in wrong and then you get strange interactions between the turn and brake lights. Might have only been for earlier turn signal switches without the hazard light switch.

-
Back