Turn Signal Indicator

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
Couple of questions......

I removed the cable and socket from the underside of the hood and unbolted the lamp fixture. The bulb is stuck in the fixture and I'm hesitant to apply any force. I put some penetrating oil around the threads in hopes this might free it. Is the bulb held in via the threads?

Also, any suggestions on materials to make a new gasket out of? I'm pretty sure no one sell just the gasket.

Thanks.

Once you unthread the socket, the bulb sometimes sticks inside the lens housing. Penetrating oil and carefull use of a knife edge can usually free it. It's not threaded in or bayoneted in any way....just sitting there laughing at you!

Once you unthread the socket, the bulb sometimes sticks inside the lens housing. Penetrating oil and carefull use of a knife edge can usually free it. It's not threaded in or bayoneted in any way....just sitting there laughing at you!

The car mocks me at every turn...thanks.

Often the glass with break free from the base when you try to turn the bulb, just like a home light does. You need to push the bulb into the socket before you turn ccw 1/4 turn. This "push first" might be the trick you are missing. If only the glass turns, go ahead and remove it, then use needle-nose pliers to get the base out.

Auto parts stores used to sell gasket material. You might make your own with a bead of RTV. Put clear tape or such down first on both surfaces so the RTV doesn't stick, then use the two surfaces as a mold. When it cures, you have a silicone gasket.

The turn signal indicator bulbs are not a bayonet style bulb. They're just sandwiched between the threaded lense and the wiring pigtail/socket. Add a bit of moisture ( and if it wasn't never-seized the last time it was removed) and the bulb can stick in the lense. It's not a super tight fit, but, any corrosion will make it tight.

-
Back