Turn signal switch HELP

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I just put a new switch in and the lever is very hard tomove up and down. What did I do wrong, I thought I put it in the same way it came out.

Don't know. When I install a signal switch I attach the arm and operate it as I'm tightening the 3 switch mounting screws ( evenly ). If it binds up I know its not seating just right. Because its plastic , just a tiny bit of mold flashing left in the wrong place can cause binding.
I don't know that's your problem, Its a guess based on my experience with aftermarket parts.
It it feel right operated in hand before install ?

Been a long, long time since I was under a steering wheel. If I remember correctly, there was small amount of what looked like white lithium on the sliding area of the plastic on some factory installed switches. I suppose dielectric grease would be preferred today if it's needed. I'll have to defer to some of the guys that have recently been in one.....

Rick

I have experience with those, but it's hard to tell what is happening by the discription.
Some of the aftermarket units are out of whack and have to be modded.
On the one I put in my car recently I had to bend the spring arm contacts to get them in the right places so the signals worked right.

So, is yours binding in all ranges of motion?
Have you tried loosening the handle screw a little and see if it loosens up?
Is the new one EXACTLY like the old one shape wise?

Its like the old one. I didn't put wheel on yet. I will pull off tonight and try to reimstall
;,

Ok I pulled the switch out tonight and held pressure on it while I tightend the screws and it now works ok. Wire colors didnt match exactly so you have to use a test light or meter to wire. Anyway all lights work great and we are ready for the next adventure what ever it may be. Thanks everyone.

Wire colors didnt match exactly so you have to use a test light or meter to wire.

:D Went throught that with mine too, exept when the signal lever was in the off position it made the flasher click on and off like one was on, but no lights flashed while it was doing it.
Had to rebend the little spring wires to get them in the right positions.
Fun Fun.

-
Back