Turn signal switch repair OEM

-

Airdwayne

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

is there a way to repair an oem turn signal switch? Or where i can buy a good quality one. i installed a new one from Classic Industries because my switch wasn't working for left turns and sometimes not for right turn. Now the new one is just giving me problems.

Car is a 73 dart swinger.

Thanks

Hi everyone.

is there a way to repair an oem turn signal switch? Or where i can buy a good quality one. i installed a new one from Classic Industries because my switch wasn't working for left turns and sometimes not for right turn. Now the new one is just giving me problems.

Car is a 73 dart swinger.

Thanks
It is possible to disassemble the switch and clean it. I did this but only because I had ordered a new one and had nothing to lose at that point. Take care to not bend the plastic or break one of the canceling cams.

Mine was for 72 Swinger but I believe that's probably the same deal.

I've installed only 1 of those switches. The one I received was warped just a tad, had plastic mold slag still present too. A bit of fine tuning with hobby knives and sand paper made it sit flat to the mounting plate properly and it worked properly. If it doesn't sit right and you draw the screws down tight one at a time, that may be your problem.

The new ones are absolute ****. I had to bend the prongs in mine accordingly to get it to make proper contact. I think someone makes an OEM quality replacement. I can't remember off hand who it is though. Do some googling.

Thank you for the quick reply. Unfortunately that was my thought. I had got one from classic industries as I thought they would be better quality than say autozone or Ebay. I never did thoroughly inspect or compare the 2. Tonight I will pull it of some and inspect it.

I'm pretty sure it's the Harvard side of the switch. If the link worked, it's a video of the ammeter. The first click in the video is the turn signal switch. The secon is when I pull the hazard switch. The fuse for them is blown, or at least should be since it was the 6th one I used that day.

I just had mine out yesterday. Pull it out and have a look at the wiring that goes up and through the plastic. Sounds to me that you may have a bare wire somewhere.

Cley

umm... I don't think it's the switch itself - you've got something else drawing power and hitting the turn/flashers is making it more pronounced... if it were wired properly you wouldn't have blown so many fuses...

It's something under the dash or in the column. I unplugged the wires behind the drivers kick panel and blew my last 20a fuse. Leaves me with 1 30a. Nothing looks exposed underneath. i forgot to mention, because I've seen it asked, but it does have a grant wheel. The adaptor has the ring for the horn. The steering arm side I can see between the column housing and adaptor cover. Hazard side not enough to see if anything is touching cause it to short.

Headlights, taillights, horn work. No radio. Glove box light comes on with new fuse but brakes and hazards kill it. Signals work all the way around except when hazard switch is pulled.

I would go through and check/clean every single ground associated with the turn/stop/tail light sockets. Check the sockets themselves too, where the bulbs go in.

Definitely the new switch. Just plugged in the old one and brake switch doesn't blow the fuse, hazards don't either.

Definitely the new switch. Just plugged in the old one and brake switch doesn't blow the fuse, hazards don't either.

I pulled my hair out for a while with kinda the same issues.

I bought a parts column at a swap meet for 20 bucks, pulled the OEM switch and installed it. No more issues, more hair.

This morning I made it a mission to go to the wrecking yard and find me a decent one. If I can find any older dodges. I was looking at the flasher right now because they don't flash. I came across what looks like a flasher but has 3 prongs and is narrower and a bit longer. Somewhat under where the radio would go. Took a picture but don't know how to upload it from my phone. But it was warm!

Figured it out. I was looking at the toolbar above the text. Anyway this was warm. Car has been sitting since 7 am pacific time.

image.jpeg

-
Back