Turn Signal Will Not Cancel In One Direction

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When turning left, the turn signal will not automatically cancel but turning right does. I replaced the TS switch even though the old one did not look bad. When I bought the car, the dealer said the car did not have a wheel so he found one that was in decent shape. Any ideas?

They look something like this and are in the steering column behind the wheel. Depending on the year and model they can be part of the switch.

cancelling cam.jpg

When turning left, the turn signal will not automatically cancel but turning right does. I replaced the TS switch even though the old one did not look bad. When I bought the car, the dealer said the car did not have a wheel so he found one that was in decent shape. Any ideas?

On the back side of the wheel there should be a stud that engages the switch tangs. See if it is bent or not long enough to engage the tangs.

On the back side of the wheel there should be a stud that engages the switch tangs. See if it is bent or not long enough to engage the tangs.
There is a fat ring with a stud that sticks down to hit the cancel cam. Not sure how long that is supposed to be to know if it is correct or not.

There is a fat ring with a stud that sticks down to hit the cancel cam. Not sure how long that is supposed to be to know if it is correct or not.

Easy check. Make sure the steering wheel is installed correctly, move the turn signal arm for left or right turn. As you move the steering wheel left or right you will hear a click when the stud engages the switch tangs. No click ,no engagement, no cancellation.

I had the same experience with a replacement (cheap) turn signal switch. It turned out to be the prong the on the aftermarket steering wheel hub(Grant) was not quite long enough to contact the cancel cam of the turn signal switch. My solution was to JB weld a small dab to the wheel hub. The problem is you can't see what the problem is with the steering wheel in place, I had an old Grant splined hub that I used to test the switch action removing the splines and turning it by hand.
All this being said I would bite the bullet and get a quality NOS turn switch from Slant Six Dan then it would probably work. Even after I got everything working it does not feel like an OE switch.
Mix and match cheap aftermarket parts and this is what happens

It would be nice to know what year and model the OP is working with.

How about a photo of the back side of the steering wheel? If it's an aftermarket wheel, some of those have a real sketchy cancel setup.

How about a photo of the back side of the steering wheel? If it's an aftermarket wheel, some of those have a real sketchy cancel setup.
I will get a picture of it when I pull it again. It is an OE wheel, but not sure of the year... at least the color matches the interior! I got a new TS switch from Classic Industries, I believe. I will get a picture of that when I pull the wheel.

Looks good, should work I would think. Is the pin in the middle of the cancelling cam when you install it? (I think that's where it should be.) A different wheel and it may be in a different position than your column/switch requires. Just spit ballin' here.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe the switch is binding a little and not able to return in the one direction? How does it feel each way when you move in by hand?

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Maybe the switch is binding a little and not able to return in the one direction? How does it feel each way when you move in by hand?
When I cancel the switch manually, it is stiff like expected. Also, when I turn the wheel in a turn I do not hear the distinct "click" "click" like the cancel cam is being engaged. This just does not seem like rocket science, yet it eludes me!

Here are pictures of the back of the wheel and installed turn signal switch

View attachment 1715696224

View attachment 1715696225

View attachment 1715696226

Looks to me like the problem is with the stud on the steering wheel not making contact with the switch tangs. Im looking at the picture and I don't see any rub marks on the bottom tang but I do see them on the top one. I don't know if its the pic but it looks like the end of the stud on the wheel is torn up pretty good. Do you have another wheel you can try?

-
Back