Turn Signal wiring harness

-

Chuckbizkits

Reaction score
I am installing all new wiring on a 67 Dart. I am using a universal kit. I need to adapt the kit to the OEM connection at the column. Does anyone know what each colored wire on the OEM harness does? I have a schematic but was looking for some simple color codes. I have figured out most. Thanks for your help.

Right..........out.........of.........the...........shop..........manual

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=244981

"Usable" diagrams from MyMopar:

http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=31

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67DartA.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1967/67DartB.jpg

1....LIGHT GREEN...left front signal and dash indicator, and one term. of 4x flasher switch

2....RED...power coming to switch from flasher

3....TAN...right front signal and dash indicator, and one terminal of 4x flasher sw

4....BLACK TR...goes to horn button and horn relay

5....ORANGE...lighting for shift quadrant on column

6....DARK GREEN...left rear signal

7....WHITE...cold side of brake light switch and one terminal of 4x flasher

8....BROWN...right rear signal bulb

It is important to understand how the 4x flasher switch works. This is a 4 terminal switch and when off, none of the 4 terminals are connected. When on, all 4 are connected together.

The 4x flasher comes from a fuse, through the flasher, to one terminal of the 4x switch

one terminal goes to left front lamp

one terminal goes to right front lamp

one terminal goes to brake light switch line going into the signal switch.

With the column switch centered, both rear lamps are connected together through the switch so that the brake switch feeds both.

Because on 4x flasher terminal is also hooked there, that means that with the 4x switch on, and the column switch centered, the 4x switch routes hazard flasher power to both rear lights, and the other two terminals route the flasher to both front signals.

This must be wired in separate IE branched/ spliced in as the "hot rod" harnesses don't have provisions for this.

Attachments

• signal.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 606
Thanks! That's what I needed. My fuse panel has two flashers, one for the turn signals and one for the flashers. I think the fuse panel handles the distribution so I'm think the red wire does not need to be wired.

However it's wired, the red must go to the turn signal flasher. The output of the second flasher goes to one terminal of the 4x switch

If you can post the brand / part no. of your harness, or better yet an online link to a destruction manual download for it, I can look it up

Chuck I emailed them and they sent the diagram. The answer should be right in the manual. Even though it says 70-74, the colors should be the same

Attachments

• turn.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 837
Thanks! That is now sewn up. Here's a toughie - My 727 transmission has a single wire neutral safety switch. The car is running a Powermaster mini starter. All it needs is the ignition ST wire and the battery + wire (no relay, no solenoid). How would I hook up the neutral safety wire?

I would keep the Mopar starter relay anyway, to make the wiring simpler and easier to understand. Just wire the (thick) brown wire to the starter's "ign start" terminal, as usual. The NSS would then connect to the Mopar relay as normal.

If really stuck on wiring the NSS to the starter directly, you would have to ask them. The NSS connects to ground. In the Mopar system, the key switch "start" (yel wire) is a "high-side" switch on the relay coil. The NSS is a "low side" switch on the coil, so effectively in series. If the starter connects its relay coil to gnd, with no terminal for you, you couldn't wire the NSS in directly. You would have to use another relay for "logic". If you don't want that to be the Mopar relay, a standard 30A automotive relay could be used: "start" to coil high-side (86) & to contacts (30), NSS to coil low-side (85), contacts out (87) to starter.

I think I'm following you here. Since I'm starting from scratch with a whole new wiring kit, and an MSD 6A box, I like your idea of using a standard relay. To be clear - I have an Ign St. wire, a wire that goes from the relay to the small post on the starter and an NSS wire. What exactly goes to the #30 terminal on the relay?

What exactly goes to the #30 terminal on the relay?
I answered this above - "power in" to 30 terminal. You can use the yellow "start" wire for this power (as I suggested) since minimal current to your starter (you say is is just a trigger signal).

You could also get power from BATT+ for an "always on" power source. You don't have to go all the way to the battery for this. It is available at: horn relay, original starter relay, or alternator big stud. This might be better in case someone later swaps in a factory starter so you don't draw the solenoid current thru your key switch (and smoke it).

-
Back