Turn signal WTF

-

jeffnmo

Just another Mopar Maniac
Reaction score
I have a 1970 340 Dart and my turn signals stopped working along with my temp, oil pressure gauge, heater and wind shield wipers. I checked the fuses and grounds and they seam fine. I noticed today that everything works when the key is on accessory! I replaced the ignition switch a few years ago and the steering column harness about six months ago. Can anyone help? I'm not to good with the wiring side of car maintenance.

Thanks Jeff

sounds like a bad ignition switch//turn signals are separate from your gauges but the switch controls both for power

Check your connections.maybe ign switch has a loose connection.

It's possible you have multiple problems, like corrosion in the fuse panel. You can download service manuals and aftermarket wiring diagrams free from MyMopar

I had a similar problem on my 71 duster. Theres a black junction box on the firewall under the master that had wiring going through it. It was corroded to hell on a few wires. Check that as well as the fuse box. Wish I could be more specific but it was 19 years ago.

Since the car runs, the "run" contact (IGN1) in the ignition switch is good, must be further down. If ANY accessories work, it is not the ignition switch.

............In this case the shop manual might be wrong. They show the flasher power is UN fused and comes right off the main black accessory wire. (splice)

But the 71 book shows the flasher power is tapped off the radio connector, so that fuse would supply it

Column mounted ignition switches have white harness connector under the column. We have seen these connectors melted. That's the first place I would look.

Did this start after the column harness replacement?

No it was happening every now and then, kind of like something was loose but now they will not work at all except when the key is turned to accessory. Thanks for all the replies, I know I'll get it fixed, I was just hoping for that quick answer.

Jeff

-
Back