Turn signals just stoped working?

-

mullinax95

Reaction score
My turn signals just stop working for some reason. I checked the bulbs and all seem fine. The front park lights work, rear park lights work, brake lights work, and the flasher works on all four corners. When the flasher is working both turn signal lights in the dash blink off and on. Anyone know where to start now?

Im not sure but isn't there a fuse for the turn signal. It should look like an oversized round or square fuse like a relay.
Not 100% but I would check that.

mullinax95 said:
My turn signals just stop working for some reason. I checked the bulbs and all seem fine. The front park lights work, rear park lights work, brake lights work, and the flasher works on all four corners. When the flasher is working both turn signal lights in the dash blink off and on. Anyone know where to start now?

What model and year? I'm confused by a bit of your statement. "flasher works on all for corners")...hazard switch? or just that all your turn signals work correctly and that JUST that both cluster light blink when any signal is made?

Must be in the air. Mine stopped working yesterday. I think I neeed a new flasher. Mike

toolmanmike said:
Must be in the air. Mine stopped working yesterday. I think I neeed a new flasher. Mike

I agree for starters...he should pop in a new signal flasher unit. If not resolved...we look deeper (ya never know with old wiring) :sad1:

69signetv8 said:
I agree for starters...he should pop in a new signal flasher unit. If not resolved...we look deeper (ya never know with old wiring) :sad1:

The flashers work fine and the park lights work but know turn signal. I figured the flasher is fine since the lights would flash. I guess I could buy a new one and try that out.
I forgot to mention I checked the fuses and all are still good.

The emergency (4 way) flashers and the turn signals have separate flasher
units. keep us posted. Mike

I would replace the turn signal switch. I had trouble in that the brake light would not work sometimes after using a turn signal and the switch returned to it's neutral postion. I learned that the switch not only controls the turn signal but brake light power goes throught the switch. I beleive a earlier post is correct in that the 4 ways can still work with a bad turn signal switch. It sucks replacing the switch, have fun.

Some of the A-Bodies have the turn signal flasher mounted under the dash on the passenger side........the 4 ways are on the drivers side.......

Look under the lip of the dash somewhere around the glove box.......the wire is usually held in place by a bending strap.

If that one goes, it will do exactly what you're experiencing.

pastortom1 said:
Some of the A-Bodies have the turn signal flasher mounted under the dash on the passenger side........the 4 ways are on the drivers side.......

Look under the lip of the dash somewhere around the glove box.......the wire is usually held in place by a bending strap.

If that one goes, it will do exactly what you're experiencing.

This could be the easiest one to start with, flasher unit is cheap. There should be 2 wires going to the flasher unit. You can test your turn signal circuit by connecting these two wires --> if signals go on when these wires are connected, your turn signal switch should be ok --> replace the flasher unit.

Thanks a bunch guys! I just thought there was one flasher. The one I found under the driver side has three wires going to it. The flasher is a two male plug unit and two wires go to one of the same male plugs. I will look at it once I have a chance.

mullinax95 said:
Thanks a bunch guys! I just thought there was one flasher. The one I found under the driver side has three wires going to it. The flasher is a two male plug unit and two wires go to one of the same male plugs. I will look at it once I have a chance.

Glad your on track. That's way yesterday I said I was a little confused about your statement when you were talking about "flashers"...as, stated earlier the flasher unit may be located close to the glove box area just under the dash lip. If that's not the problem get back to us. :salute:

Well I finally got them fixed. Turned out to be the turn signal flasher located under the passenger side dash. I looked every where for it on the passenger side and could not find it. I gave up because of time and tried it tonight and it turns out I just wasn't looking and reaching far enough under the dash. The thing just fell out in front of my face. Drove up to parts house and got a new one and that was the problem. Thanks guys for your help. I would never have found that sucker if it wasn't for this site. That's why I just love A bodies only! :love4:

mullinax95 said:
Well I finally got them fixed. Turned out to be the turn signal flasher located under the passenger side dash. I looked every where for it on the passenger side and could not find it. I gave up because of time and tried it tonight and it turns out I just wasn't looking and reaching far enough under the dash. The thing just fell out in front of my face. Drove up to parts house and got a new one and that was the problem. Thanks guys for your help. I would never have found that sucker if it wasn't for this site. That's why I just love A bodies only! :love4:

Welcome, better a flasher unit then wiring. Thanks for keeping us up dated :headbang:

-
Back