Turn signals stopped working

-

Jeff Seighman

aka jeffnmo
Reaction score
I'm hoping you guys can help. All my lights work when I'm driving, but my turn signals only work on accessory? I changed my steering column wiring a year or so ago, cheap crap maybe? Thanks for any help.

Jeff

That doesn't make much sense because the key provides accessory power both in 'accessory' as well as 'run.' you have any other accessories, like the radio? Access the flasher. Check voltage at the thing with the key in both run and accessory.

Are you saying that in run, you have no radio, no turn signal, no wipers, no temp guage and no gas gauge?

If all of this is true I would suspect the ignition switch or connector.

Do your turn signal indicators on the dash work?

If there was a low voltage in run condition, signals could come on dim and not flash.

What I meant is I don't have a radio in the car and just checked my wipers and they don't work, the temp and gas gauge are out too. Head lights, Dash and four ways work. I also had to change the ignition switch awhile back so I'll check that. Thanks.

If you look under the dash, you will have 2 flasher cans. One controls the four ways & the other controls the turn signals. Locate both of the cans & turn on the four ways. You will feel one of the cans clicking internally, those are the four ways. Swap the cans & see if your turn signals work, simple process of elimination. If the turn signals work & the four ways don't, replace the bad flasher can. If that doesn't work, break out the test light & start looking for open circuits or shorted wires.

What I meant is I don't have a radio in the car and just checked my wipers and they don't work, the temp and gas gauge are out too. Head lights, Dash and four ways work. I also had to change the ignition switch awhile back so I'll check that. Thanks.
Now it reads more like ignition switch fault. Even without a radio there should be a connector there for it. Power goes into radio on the red wire. Could be a white wire there also that goes to something more. Depends on year model. What car is this? Is it column shift?

radio in the car and just checked my wipers and they don't work, the temp and gas gauge are out too
By tracing the electrical schematics if those things are all out it points to the ignition switch or connector.

If you don't have one, buy one or at least download one free from mymopar.com

WHAT YEAR model is this thing? Are you working on a 1943 Supermarine, or a '28 hemi Farmall swap?

It's a 1970 340 Dart, I do appreciate the humor! I haven't had time to work on it today but will try all the suggestions given tomorrow and let you all know if any worked. Thanks.

Sounds like a bad ignition switch. All of the other lights except turn signal don’t go through the ignition switch.

-
Back